A good tool to quickly air down your tires that wont break the bank.

• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
I've never seen any tool work faster than a random rock or twig, just poke it on the valve and let 'er rip for 10 or 20 seconds, then verify the pressure with a Slime gauge, ha ha. Of course, most tire pressure gauges also have a nub on one end for releasing pressure.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I've never seen any tool work faster than a random rock or twig, just poke it on the valve and let 'er rip for 10 or 20 seconds, then verify the pressure with a Slime gauge, ha ha. Of course, most tire pressure gauges also have a nub on one end for releasing pressure.
My air chuck lets air out too. Someone said it takes too long. If you don't have a extra 2 minutes to air up, or air down you're tires, you shouldn't be out there. Those are the posers that whip around you on the trail trying to get to the next insta moment. LMAO
Zim

BeanCounter83

Rank II

Traveler III

Algonquin, McHenry County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Leazzo
Member #

I’ve gone done the rabbit hole and back on this. The Staun were equal to anything I could do with other tools and the easiest. They also make a quick connect chuck that attaches so you don’t even have to screw them on and off.

Considering how long they will last, the cost isn’t terrible.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Guilty as charged: I was gifted the ARB air down deflator tool with a subscription to OJ. It took a couple of trips for me to become comfortable using it. The ARB is quick and very accurate. Would I have paid 50 bucks for one? Probably not, I’m a cheapskate and would still be using the Stauns that I gave to my brother in law.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
I’ve gone done the rabbit hole and back on this. The Staun were equal to anything I could do with other tools and the easiest. They also make a quick connect chuck that attaches so you don’t even have to screw them on and off.

Considering how long they will last, the cost isn’t terrible.
This.
And the whole thing fits in a door pocket with room for an ice scraper too.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Renegade Airing up, time consuming? What you using, a bicycle pump?

Kidding! I have two 12-volt portable compressors, both received from acquaintances who no longer needed them; one is a worn-out Slime and the other is a cheap HyperTough (Wal-Mart) but either one will get all four of my 33's back to 35 PSI in the space of about 20-30 minutes. Not sarcastically, how fast is fast enough? (Perhaps we should start a separate thread for this discussion, we might get some interesting suggestions.)

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

Kidding! I have two 12-volt portable compressors, both received from acquaintances who no longer needed them; one is a worn-out Slime and the other is a cheap HyperTough (Wal-Mart) but either one will get all four of my 33's back to 35 PSI in the space of about 20-30 minutes. Not sarcastically, how fast is fast enough? (Perhaps we should start a separate thread for this discussion, we might get some interesting suggestions.)
Gettin it here! I’ve a medium priced viar pump, takes about 20- minutes to air up from 20-36lbs. I say about, cause I’ve never timed it. What’s the hurry?

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Kidding! I have two 12-volt portable compressors, both received from acquaintances who no longer needed them; one is a worn-out Slime and the other is a cheap HyperTough (Wal-Mart) but either one will get all four of my 33's back to 35 PSI in the space of about 20-30 minutes.
So 30 seconds to air down, 30 minutes to air up, 60:1 ratio - that is my point.

Not sarcastically, how fast is fast enough? (Perhaps we should start a separate thread for this discussion, we might get some interesting suggestions.)
Again my point was not about speed, but the video guy focused on the easy part of the problem, not the hard, more costly, time consuming part.

I use an ARB Twin Compressor with a 4:1 kit. It is about 6:1.

Reactions: DintDobbs

BeanCounter83

Rank II

Traveler III

Algonquin, McHenry County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Leazzo
Member #

Kidding! I have two 12-volt portable compressors, both received from acquaintances who no longer needed them; one is a worn-out Slime and the other is a cheap HyperTough (Wal-Mart) but either one will get all four of my 33's back to 35 PSI in the space of about 20-30 minutes.
So 30 seconds to air down, 30 minutes to air up, 60:1 ratio - that is my point.

Not sarcastically, how fast is fast enough? (Perhaps we should start a separate thread for this discussion, we might get some interesting suggestions.)
Again my point was not about speed, but the video guy focused on the easy part of the problem, not the hard, more costly, time consuming part.

I use an ARB Twin Compressor with a 4:1 kit. It is about 6:1.
That’s why you need a Powertank with Speedflate

3-5 minutes down, 1.5 minutes up

Reactions: Renegade

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Renegade Not bad, not bad at all! Hard to beat ARB's compressors.

Point taken, people work hard and spend much time and money to develop a solution to a negligible problem (releasing pressurized air) relative to the amount of effort put into easing and quickening an actually complicated mechanical task (compressing air into a container).

From this thread, looks like ARB has ya covered either way though!

Reactions: Renegade

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
@North American Sojourner Now now, don't be hating on the guy who has a specialized tool for every thing! Sure, nobody needs it, but you gotta admit that all of this trendy specialized equipment looks pretty cool at the bottom of a shiny, clean tool box that never sees the sunlight!
Me? I don't hate anyone. We are all creatures of the earth..................................sort of.....................................yeah I get mad when I see folks speeding thru the parks. LOL
Zim

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

What’s the problem with airing down trailer tires? His situation and experience might support that strategy.

I do airdown my trailer tires, especially when I am on a washboard, also, in snow or mud it helps.

On washboard, it makes the road easier to travel, especially at any speed. It can be the difference of having a trailer that lasts or rattles apart. In mud and snow airing down increases the foot print to keep the trailer from sinking into the muck. Point in case is this past weekend we were in snow and mud and airing down made the difference between getting out of the area we were in and not it kept both my trailer and Jeep from sinking into a big snow burm.

Reactions: HaVeeBear

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Remove valve core, count to whatever number is necessary to reach the desired pressure (make a cheat sheet), re-install valve core.

Removing the core to re-inflate will also speed the process regardless what kind of compressor you are using, (negligibly off a tank)

The first question I now ask myself is "What does it weigh?" and in virtually every instance less is better. A valve core wrench and some extra cores and caps might be 20 grams.

And yes, all of the benefits yielded in airing down the truck exist for airing down the trailer

Reactions: RaD Overlanding