minirails

Rank 0

Contributor I

Glendale, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Bauman
Check for warn track bar bushing and ball socket play its what was causing my death wobble. Replaced the trackbar and it went away, after replacing steering damper, shocks, ball joints, and control arm bushings.

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Check for warn track bar bushing and ball socket play its what was causing my death wobble. Replaced the trackbar and it went away, after replacing steering damper, shocks, ball joints, and control arm bushings.
It's got a new one in it already. I know my geometry is off up front. New tires took care of a lot of the issue. Now if I can just finish putting things together I'd be good.

Reactions: minirails

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The axle side trackbar mount can also become "wallowed" out. This can be repaired by welding a grade 8 washer in place. Double and triple check the axle side mount to ensure it's tight.

Reactions: minirails

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

I know this particular photo from the build is almost a year old but do you have any info on this intake setup? ive been looking at the external snorkels but i havent seen a setup like this before. is it a full custom intake tube and firewall mount into cab?
Look up cowl intakes. I added one to my XJ from Trail Head Off Road | Off Road Cowl Intakes for Jeeps . I like it but you can definitely hear the air intake inside the cab since it now sits behind the glovebox.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
You can easily build a cowl intake out of the stock airbox and it doesn't move the intake "honk" into the cab with you, I've heard people complain of ear ringing after a long highway slog with the THOR intake. It also keeps the superior filtering stock paper element filter vs an oiled gauze unit and doesn't have a big snorkel hanging off the side of the Jeep either. I've ran it on 2 previous XJs and just did it on my current XJ.

Numbers based on the the link below where the OP pulled data from the computer for Intake Air Temperatures and he saw significant decreases in intake air temps at speed. The bottom of the XJ windshield is a high pressure area when moving so outside air is basically forced into that area.

The point of this post is that I carefully measured the intake air temperature before and after the modification. Before the modification, driving up to Lake Tahoe from Reno with outside temperature of 65 F, the intake temp ranged from 177 F to 192 F. After the cowl intake addition (same day, same course, several hours later) with an outside air temperature of 58 F, the intake air temperature ranged from 78 to 103 F. Idling for about 10 minutes (no movement) brought the intake air temp up to 138F. Engine off (shopping in Auto Parts store) with about a 10 minute heat soak brought the Intake air temp up to 146 F. In both of these latter instances, upon driving away, the intake temp quickly dropped to 78 F (about 5 minutes). Turning to the freeway at 65 mph, the intake air temp dropped to 65 F. The temperature drop was a function of vehicle speed consistent with a significant pressure build-up at the base of the windshield/cowl area.
The link below is a more detailed overview of the install.

Here's mine.

20200614_093108.jpg

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

I know this particular photo from the build is almost a year old but do you have any info on this intake setup? ive been looking at the external snorkels but i havent seen a setup like this before. is it a full custom intake tube and firewall mount into cab?
This one goes into the cowl but not through the firewall. It is fully custom, however I believe Thor is the company that makes the legit ones. If I remember correctly they run a couple hundred bucks. This is an install vid of their product. That's what I based my build on.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrg1XuZzLc&ved=2ahUKEwiuxZjb0YfqAhVFaq0KHb7VC1oQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAM&usg=AOvVaw0q2DIGNR2CZkw1KGLpQ_sO

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

New adjustable upper control arms to fix the caster, new joints in the axle shafts, hood vents, stainless extended brake hoses, and some other random things. That's today's to do list. KIMG0442.JPGKIMG0425.JPG

Cj13

Rank II

Contributor II

Mount Olive, AL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Mine ,where the track bar mounts to the chassis, the hole was more egg shaped than round. I replaced that and the track bar with one from rusty's offroad. So much better now

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Original axle regeared, new upper control arms in, replaced the stock coil spring isolators with slightly taller ones from Rubicon Express which fixed the rake now it sits level ish, new pads and rotors, new mevotech extreme ball joints (guess we will see) and some other minor things. All goes well I'll have in the stainless front brake hoses this evening. It's sad that this build went from fun to get me to work and back because of the times. KIMG1030.JPGKIMG1034.JPGKIMG1040.JPGKIMG1045.JPGKIMG1047.JPGKIMG1039.JPG

Reactions: Cj13

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

It's been a bit. No real changes, though I've got some in the works. Been playing since the last axle swap. My bro and I did some wheeling on my trail. Also got an invite to do the gambler 500 coming up. Might be cool.12265.jpegKIMG1421.JPGKIMG1393.JPGKIMG1388.JPG11540.jpeg11543.jpeg11546.jpegKIMG1420.JPG

Reactions: Downs

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

After an alternator failure and some trial and error on my belt routing for my alternator relocation, I've nearly got it finished. If anyone wants the details, watch this build. I'll be adding it shortly. It's been a slow go due to the weather, I'll add some shots below. I hope to have my shop insulated by next winter. However, big things to come! I also added a fan reversing circuit for my primary electric fan, to blow warm engine bay air through the radiator to thaw it. During the storm in the pics, my ac condenser froze over, and with no way to thaw it out, it was a long battle of 38 inches of snow and endless overheating. I've also deleted the ac system that's what windows are for. I'll soon add the write-up for the fan reversing circuit as well. I've also made tons of headway on the cowl induction, another write up I'll add. Another upgrade was the daystar engine mounts. I highly recommend. After looking back through the build, I'm realizing a ton was done that I didn't post up. When it warms up, I'll have to add it all in...

Attachments

Last edited:

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Made some progress on the rig with this warm weather. Cut and capped the rear quarters and trimmed and rolled the rear wheel wells. Tomorrow I'll pull off the old receiver and put on maxx's bumper and receiver.

Attachments