• HTML tutorial

Katzna85

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chicago
Member #

I know I struggled to find other 2015 Silverado builds initially so I hope some of these ideas help someone else!

If you have any questions about any of the installations feel free to ask.

-The tint: All Windows/Windshield

-Lights and Controls: Feniex Warning Lights Front and Rear

-Onboard Air by VIAIR with an Air Horn all Frame Mounted

-Radios+Antennas: Mobile Kenwood TM-D710GA, Magnetic MIC, Kenwood External Speaker, Portables BaoFeng BF-F8HP, Breedlove Antenna Mounts, Comet Antenna

-Mapping/GPS: Stock NAV, Apple IPad with HEMA Maps, Ram Mounts, Garmin Handheld Unit/GPS, and Garmin GLO

-Some Mounted Recovery Gear: Maxtrax, High Lift Jack, X-Jack

-Lift/Level by RC

-Protection/Exterior: Truxedo Titanium Hard Rolling Cover, WeatherTech, Exterior Protective Film, Upgraded Chevy Plates, PML Diff Covers

-Bump Stops by Timbren

-Dual Battery System: Optima Yellow Top, National Luna Dual Battery System with Controller

-Roof Rack by MRacks

View attachment 33484
View attachment 33483
View attachment 33485
View attachment 33487
View attachment 33486
View attachment 33488View attachment 33489
View attachment 33490
View attachment 33491
View attachment 33492

Sent from my iPhone

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Very nice! Any new for lift and tires? I've owned a few Chevy pickups in the past.
If no lift you could also just level out the front and do some AT tires too [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Hey love the build thus far! im new to OB and a new owner of a 2017 silverado that I hope one day will be a nice overlanding rig. I think I noticed a CB antenna on the truck bed. I think that is my next purchase. any suggestions on antenna mounts and or inside cab box mounts?

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Very nice! Any new for lift and tires? I've owned a few Chevy pickups in the past.
If no lift you could also just level out the front and do some AT tires too [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
I have a 2.5" level on mine and still have the stock AT tires on. Im hoping with the level ill eventually be able to fit a little larger tire once I wear these ones down. Maybe spring for some bead lock rims!

Reactions: maxfederle89

Katzna85

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chicago
Member #

Hey love the build thus far! im new to OB and a new owner of a 2017 silverado that I hope one day will be a nice overlanding rig. I think I noticed a CB antenna on the truck bed. I think that is my next purchase. any suggestions on antenna mounts and or inside cab box mounts?
Thanks! You'll have to keep everyone updated on your 2017 rig. The photo of the back is actually a ham radio antenna. I started with a CB in the truck and had the antenna in the same spot using a stake pocket bracket. There are a lot of great mount options from Breedlove Mounts. https://www.breedlovemounts.com I switched to ham to increase range and options for communicating. You'll find a lot of other CB users are operating with illegal amplifiers (to compensate for poorly mounted antennas, and already limited range) making it difficult to catch any air time on an active channel. The best antenna set up you could run would be a permanent mount on the roof of the truck. You may have to reinforce the area to compensate for the forces while driving, and if you come into contact with any branches/obstacles. Use a good cable and spring with a properly tuned antenna and you should be set. I know many people do not want to do roof mounted antennas and that's where the Breedlove or similar mounts come into play. Just don't forget to check out your grounds/tune/SWR wherever you decide to mount the antenna.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Katzna85

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chicago
Member #

I have a 2.5" level on mine and still have the stock AT tires on. Im hoping with the level ill eventually be able to fit a little larger tire once I wear these ones down. Maybe spring for some bead lock rims!
Nice! I have the stock tires/wheels on mine, and they have preformed well for multiple trips. I haven't had any issues with the stock set up while airing down. Bead locks are great, I just cant personally justify the need for them yet.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Thanks! You'll have to keep everyone updated on your 2017 rig. The photo of the back is actually a ham radio antenna. I started with a CB in the truck and had the antenna in the same spot using a stake pocket bracket. There are a lot of great mount options from Breedlove Mounts. https://www.breedlovemounts.com I switched to ham to increase range and options for communicating. You'll find a lot of other CB users are operating with illegal amplifiers (to compensate for poorly mounted antennas, and already limited range) making it difficult to catch any air time on an active channel. The best antenna set up you could run would be a permanent mount on the roof of the truck. You may have to reinforce the area to compensate for the forces while driving, and if you come into contact with any branches/obstacles. Use a good cable and spring with a properly tuned antenna and you should be set. I know many people do not want to do roof mounted antennas and that's where the Breedlove or similar mounts come into play. Just don't forget to check out your grounds/tune/SWR wherever you decide to mount the antenna.

I'll keep all this in mind! Thanks! I started a topic with some photos! I drive in to San Francisco so much I don't think I could do a roof mount. What distance might you expect from a 2-3ft antenna mounted on the bed? I def don't need to max the distance out, really on expecting to talk with others in my group close by.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Nice! I have the stock tires/wheels on mine, and they have preformed well for multiple trips. I haven't had any issues with the stock set up while airing down. Bead locks are great, I just cant personally justify the need for them yet.

I think I'll be in the same boat. Once I need new tires I hopefully will find slightly larger ones that will fit. Beadlock probably won't be needed since I'm not doing anything too extreme.

Reactions: Katzna85

Katzna85

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chicago
Member #

I'll keep all this in mind! Thanks! I started a topic with some photos! I drive in to San Francisco so much I don't think I could do a roof mount. What distance might you expect from a 2-3ft antenna mounted on the bed? I def don't need to max the distance out, really on expecting to talk with others in my group close by.

There are many many variables that will determine that but anywhere from line of site out to 3 miles would be my guess. If you have a linear amplifier you could increase that.

Sent from my iPhone

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

There are many many variables that will determine that but anywhere from line of site out to 3 miles would be my guess. If you have a linear amplifier you could increase that.

Sent from my iPhone
ill look into that linear amp! thanks!

Katzna85

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chicago
Member #

sweet! I have a 2.5level and trying to figure out what size tires I could go up to? did you try anything larger than the ones you put on?
I have not tried anything larger. The manufacturer of your leveling kit will have a tire fitment guideline for you.

Sent from my iPhone

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

I have not tried anything larger. The manufacturer of your leveling kit will have a tire fitment guideline for you.

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks! didnt know that. Looks like I could squeeze 33"s in if I tried.

Also, I think I noticed your running 2 batteries? where did you find that battery level monitor? in the 2015 is there an empty 2nd battery spot left over from the diesel models? I have a large spot in my engine for a second battery which I believe is used for the larger 2500/3500s. was debating to add a 2nd battery there or mount an air compressor?

Katzna85

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chicago
Member #

Thanks! didnt know that. Looks like I could squeeze 33"s in if I tried.

Also, I think I noticed your running 2 batteries? where did you find that battery level monitor? in the 2015 is there an empty 2nd battery spot left over from the diesel models? I have a large spot in my engine for a second battery which I believe is used for the larger 2500/3500s. was debating to add a 2nd battery there or mount an air compressor?
Here's the battery system link

http://www.equipt1.com/i/battery-systems/dual-battery-systems

I run a yellow top deep cycle and it's in the stock second battery tray. My air compressor and tank are mounted under the truck on the frame. That tray is there for a dual battery system that comes with certain models, or as an extra feature from the factory.