Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
BASE CAMP PRIMARY TARGET (subject to change.. final determination by Thursday a.m.):
38.84965, -106.04493

BACKUP
38.89008, -106.12350

Be sure to subscribe to this thread.

We may be more informal than previous years . We'll probably have trail runs Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday. Other camp activities are possible depending on volunteers.

Do you have any experience and an interest in leading an informal activity involving such things as:
camp cooking
photography
bushcraft/survival skills
vehicle recovery
amateur radio
hiking
MTB
others?

Trail guides needed for runs as discussed. Difficulty from easy to moderate. Every effort will be made to pre-qualify participants so as not to take anyone outside their comfort zone. There should be no peer pressure. Feel free to speak up should you have any reservations or concerns.

Other than being posted here, this event is not associated with Overland Bound. Participate at your own risk.

The goal is to maintain a family atmosphere. Please refrain from profanity, sexual innuendos, excessive alcohol/MJ or similar substances. Absolutely no such substance use during vehicle activities. This includes all passengers. (Yes, I've actually seen passengers riding on the roof rack coming down a steep rocky trail.)

There will be no bathroom facilities at camp. Please plan for your own toilet. Digging a cat hole is discouraged and should only be a last resort. Consider a 5 gallon bucket, trash bags and kitty litter if you don't have anything else.

If you have Telegram, consider joining us for significantly more planning discussion as the day draws nearer. All updates will ultimately be posted in this thread. I will try to update this post specifically.

TELEGRAM CHAT:

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Plan on trying to make this! It’ll be my first group outing/ overland trip. Currently on a stock suspension so hopefully I’ll get to do most of the activities planned. If not I may just have to sit out till I’m able to beef up the suspension.
It'll be great to have you. Be sure to RSVP if you haven't already.

I'm running a full size truck with a stock suspension if that makes you feel any better. I usually disconnect my sway bars when I get there, however.

Reactions: Mikecotaco

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Had a great time last year, but this year I'll be on the Trans America Trail then. Bummer.
Thanks for letting us know! Which section are you doing and in which direction?

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Sounds like fun but I do not know how my overlanding vehicle would handle the trails. It depends on which side of moderate level they are.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Sounds like fun but I do not know how my overlanding vehicle would handle the trails. It depends on which side of moderate level they are.
Perhaps I should just change that. There are all sorts of trails out there. Barring a flash flood, you should be able to get the base camp in two wheel drive. We will find something that suits your skill and comfort level.

Reactions: Boort and Cascadia

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Perhaps I should just change that. There are all sorts of trails out there. Barring a flash flood, you should be able to get the base camp in two wheel drive. We will find something that suits your skill and comfort level.
Mine is a Subaru Outback that can do most moderate trails. If people would like to do the harder moderate trails, I do not want to stop them due to my vehicle. Here is a photo of my Outback when it did WABRD in 2021.

FB_IMG_1630944007342.jpg

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Mine is a Subaru Outback that can do most moderate trails. If people would like to do the harder moderate trails, I do not want to stop them due to my vehicle. Here is a photo of my Outback when it did WABRD in 2021.

View attachment 256627
We usually have enough vehicles that we break into groups based on interest and skill level. Worst case you could ride along with someone. My passenger seat is normally available.

You should love most of the trails inside the Four Mile Travel Mgmt Area.

Reactions: Boort and Cascadia

daklakfoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Orange County
First Name
Huy
Last Name
Tran
Member #

View attachment 256627
Do you have at least 2" lift? Subie can surprisingly do several trail.. ;)

Reactions: Cascadia

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Do you have at least 2" lift? Subie can surprisingly do several trail.. ;)
I have done several trails in Oregon, Washington, and in Colorado with that Subie. I know what it is capable of doing but I haven't fully pushed it. In terms of your question about my lift, that is actually 1.5" with an additional 0.4-0.5" in the rear.

Reactions: daklakfoto

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
We usually have enough vehicles that we break into groups based on interest and skill level. Worst case you could ride along with someone. My passenger seat is normally available.

You should love most of the trails inside the Four Mile Travel Mgmt Area.
I might take up your suggestion in terms of being in the passenger seat since it can be a good learning opportunity in that way. :)

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I might take up your suggestion in terms of being in the passenger seat since it can be a good learning opportunity in that way. :)
On the first BVJJ trip one of the guys ran into trouble with his rig so he and I paired up. I learned a lot and we had a blast. After a day or trail riding we got together and patched up his rig, Learned even more.
The Four Mile Area has such a wide range of trails that it's easy to get out and have fun regardless of if you're running a stock rig or a heavily modified rock crawler.

Boort

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

Looking forward to this. I'll be coming off of a Maze District trip so this will be a good wind down on my way back home to the Front Range.