Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort walton beach fl.
First Name
Chip
Last Name
cook
Member #

This is awesome I'm living out of my 4runner right now and I've got all those bases covered except for window fog overnight. Anyone know how to prevent that?
Here's a good video by @vagabondexpedition about bedding and window nets to keep condensation down and bugs (not a big worry in the winter, but overall.) Even in the winter cold, leaving a window cracked will help with condensation, but not totally eliminate it. Once in 9 degree weather, sleeping in my Jeep, the condensation was so bad, it actually made stalactites on my roof/hardtop! HAHAHAHA!

Go to the nearest Lowes or home depot and purchase a role of "Reflectics" it is 48in tall by about 10ft long and is a silver Mylar insulating foil material similar to a car window heat shade, but much, much better, cut the material to fit your windows and you will see a dramatic difference in heat and cold protection. It can also be used around the perimeter of a tent or under the sleeping bag to reflect heat.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Great topic for this time of year. I have never let the temperature stop me from getting out. I will note that the coldest I have ever been was out side of Pensacola Florida in November with the temperature just under 32F and sleeping on the ground. Because it was considered "Jungle" training we were not allowed cold weather gear.
Having lived in various places in the US I have had the opportunity to camp in many different climates and I have always enjoyed the winter, especially in Maine and New Hampshire. The article wasn't bad and made some key points about keeping yourself alive. I would add several things.
1. Know the forecast. when you are out in the back county if the weather changes you can find yourself stranded for days from a wet heavy snowfall in the early winter or late spring.
2. Pace yourself, especially if you find yourself outside of your rig trying to get it unstuck because you failed to follow the 1st bit of advice. If you overheat you will be more susceptible to hypothermia.
3. Increase your calorie consumption, you will use about twice the calories in cold weather if you are out in the elements.
4. Alcohol = Bad, well not good alcohol will contribute to dehydration and make you more susceptible to hypothermia. Especially when you're passed out in the snow.
5. Double check your vehicles cooling system, I have seen plenty of overheated vehicles in the winter. If your cooling system won't transfer the engines heat away from the engine it doesn't matter what the temp is outside.

Cold weather shouldn't stop you from getting out but be smart about it.

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

GoodShot

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Arizona
First Name
MaRiane
Last Name
Kooistra
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good Shot
One basic comment. Make sure your vehicle can handle the snow depth. I live at 7K ft we get a lot of snow. When you are stuck you are stuck. Most back roads are not plowed and if you are far out in the back country it can take a long time to get out. It took me 3 weeks to dig out of 5 ft of snow on my 800 feet long driveway.