Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I love the article, but if the idea of sleeping in the snow is scary, come visit the SouthWest. For us winter is pleasantly mild and usually sunny, although periods of cloudy weather and freezing cold do occur. Snow is rare and generally light. In my opinion, it's some of the best camping near the boarder.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Thank you @Corrie and @Michael for writing the article! Just because it is snowing, cold or frigid doesn't mean the overland season has to end! A few other things to consider that the article doesn't mention. Most of this is from my Search and Rescue experience where I have slept outside (NOT in a tent, but in a bivy and mummy bag...in the snow to as low as single digits):

1. "Cotton Kills." This is a saying we say in SAR before every winter and to all new Mountaineers. Cotton clothes retain moisture and moisture in freezing temperatures can remove body heat, cause hypothermia and are almost impossible to dry, even if you can start a fire. Do NOT wear cotton socks, cotton undergarments, cotton underwear, cotton shirts, hats nothing. Ensure all your garments are poly, wool, fleece and 0% cotton. Even a shirt that is a 60/40 split of cotton to synthetic...it's retaining moisture.

2. Protect your electronics. Whether you sleep in a mummy bag or 0 degree bag, put your electronics; phone, watch, gps, gadgets, tablets etc into the footwell of your sleeping bag in a ziplock bag or stuff sack. Your body heat will protect your valuable, essential and expensive gadgets. In weather/cold below 15 degrees, I have actually had the saline solution for my contacts freeze over and destroy my contacts...Now, even essential personal safety/hygiene goes into the bottom of my bag.

3. The article discusses layering clothes, which is the proper technique. A baselayer of synthetic or wool attire, underwear, socks etc. I wear long johns made of synthetic fabric. If I am expecting overly cold weather (talking temps in the teens or less) I will put fleece pants on over my long johns, then my SAR Tactical pants. For a top, over your baselayer, you can wear a cold weather sweater, fleece jacket or wool jacket. Always have a water barrier or waterproof jacket/shell in cold weather. If the weather changes or shifts, you can put your shell on over your fleece/wool or down jacket to add protection from moisture. If you are doing strenuous activity, cutting wood, clearing trail, hiking etc...err on the side of being a bit cold rather than too hot. Sweat/moisture on your body is the enemy.

4. "You can go alone, as long as you take someone else." Another SAR saying. NEVER camp in cold weather alone. If a mate gets hypothermia, even opening a car door or inserting keys into the ignition can be impossible with frozen or damage appendages or fingers. If you ever want to try this, go to a cold climate and let your hands get cold and try to tie your shoes, zip up your jacket or other fine motor skills and unfortunately, your body doesn't comply. If you have a buddy, you have a fighting chance of working together through adversity, tribulation, challenges or emergencies.

Also, check your buddy for warmth, hydration, hypothermia, cognition (ask them to tell a detailed story or explain how to do something and be aware of their mental state.) Even if you feel that are "fine" check each other often, especially in freezing climates.

5. Last bit I will share is use waterproofing spray on everything before you go. Especially the breathable Goretex friendly sprays. Yes, most of the clothes, boots, jackets we buy for winter camping say "waterproof" or "water resistant" on the labels, but as we wear items, wash items and store items, the waterproofing agents in the clothing/fabric becomes less effective. I spray my boots before every cold weather mission, my jackets (especially seams), my tent, my sleeping bag (especially toe box/foot well of bag, I hate wet feet) and any other fabrics I think may find moisture.

6. OK, last, last tip I will share is practice before you go camping or overlanding overnight. Take a day trip to the snow, try out your gear, take a nap in your rig, tent or bivy and see what gets cold. Build a fire on top of snow, with wet wood...can you do it? Cause if you aren't successful, you would rather learn during practice, than in the real when your hands are cold, your stomach is empty and your situational awareness is fading. Trust me, cold weather compounds frustration and stressful situations.

7. OK, last, last, last one....Eat a high protein snack right before you go to sleep. A power bar, beef jerky, etc. Your body will work to digest it at night and actually create body heat. No sugary items as the OB article states. Sugar will burn too fast and may actually keep you up. One of my favorite parts of camping in the cold is that I get to eat a good snacky before beddy bye! And urinate before you goto sleep and if you have to really go in the middle of the night, GO! Holding your urine will make you colder, and even colder than had you opened your sleeping bag and peed in that water bottle to relieve yourself!

Damn, I'm going to have to go camping now this winter!
#OutfitandExplore

Warhorse

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas Oregon
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Gaither
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7SBN
For me winter is the most fun. More challenging. I love enjoying mother nature at her worst. But doing it safely, of course.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

When it comes to your boots not only will a tight fitting boot reduce circulation, but laces that are too tight will crush the insulation. This in turn, will prevent it from doing it's job and your feet will be colder.

At night be sure to have a complete change of dry clothes. Even if your clothes aren't "wet" from sweat, moisture is still in them. At night they will get cold and you will as well. I like to put on a new pair of socks when I get back to camp too.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you @Corrie and @Michael for writing the article! Just because it is snowing, cold or frigid doesn't mean the overland season has to end! A few other things to consider that the article doesn't mention. Most of this is from my Search and Rescue experience where I have slept outside (NOT in a tent, but in a bivy and mummy bag...in the snow to as low as single digits):

1. "Cotton Kills." This is a saying we say in SAR before every winter and to all new Mountaineers. Cotton clothes retain moisture and moisture in freezing temperatures can remove body heat, cause hypothermia and are almost impossible to dry, even if you can start a fire. Do NOT wear cotton socks, cotton undergarments, cotton underwear, cotton shirts, hats nothing. Ensure all your garments are poly, wool, fleece and 0% cotton. Even a shirt that is a 60/40 split of cotton to synthetic...it's retaining moisture.

2. Protect your electronics. Whether you sleep in a mummy bag or 0 degree bag, put your electronics; phone, watch, gps, gadgets, tablets etc into the footwell of your sleeping bag in a ziplock bag or stuff sack. Your body heat will protect your valuable, essential and expensive gadgets. In weather/cold below 15 degrees, I have actually had the saline solution for my contacts freeze over and destroy my contacts...Now, even essential personal safety/hygiene goes into the bottom of my bag.

3. The article discusses layering clothes, which is the proper technique. A baselayer of synthetic or wool attire, underwear, socks etc. I wear long johns made of synthetic fabric. If I am expecting overly cold weather (talking temps in the teens or less) I will put fleece pants on over my long johns, then my SAR Tactical pants. For a top, over your baselayer, you can wear a cold weather sweater, fleece jacket or wool jacket. Always have a water barrier or waterproof jacket/shell in cold weather. If the weather changes or shifts, you can put your shell on over your fleece/wool or down jacket to add protection from moisture. If you are doing strenuous activity, cutting wood, clearing trail, hiking etc...err on the side of being a bit cold rather than too hot. Sweat/moisture on your body is the enemy.

4. "You can go alone, as long as you take someone else." Another SAR saying. NEVER camp in cold weather alone. If a mate gets hypothermia, even opening a car door or inserting keys into the ignition can be impossible with frozen or damage appendages or fingers. If you ever want to try this, go to a cold climate and let your hands get cold and try to tie your shoes, zip up your jacket or other fine motor skills and unfortunately, your body doesn't comply. If you have a buddy, you have a fighting chance of working together through adversity, tribulation, challenges or emergencies.

Also, check your buddy for warmth, hydration, hypothermia, cognition (ask them to tell a detailed story or explain how to do something and be aware of their mental state.) Even if you feel that are "fine" check each other often, especially in freezing climates.

5. Last bit I will share is use waterproofing spray on everything before you go. Especially the breathable Goretex friendly sprays. Yes, most of the clothes, boots, jackets we buy for winter camping say "waterproof" or "water resistant" on the labels, but as we wear items, wash items and store items, the waterproofing agents in the clothing/fabric becomes less effective. I spray my boots before every cold weather mission, my jackets (especially seams), my tent, my sleeping bag (especially toe box/foot well of bag, I hate wet feet) and any other fabrics I think may find moisture.

6. OK, last, last tip I will share is practice before you go camping or overlanding overnight. Take a day trip to the snow, try out your gear, take a nap in your rig, tent or bivy and see what gets cold. Build a fire on top of snow, with wet wood...can you do it? Cause if you aren't successful, you would rather learn during practice, than in the real when your hands are cold, your stomach is empty and your situational awareness is fading. Trust me, cold weather compounds frustration and stressful situations.

7. OK, last, last, last one....Eat a high protein snack right before you go to sleep. A power bar, beef jerky, etc. Your body will work to digest it at night and actually create body heat. No sugary items as the OB article states. Sugar will burn too fast and may actually keep you up. One of my favorite parts of camping in the cold is that I get to eat a good snacky before beddy bye! And urinate before you goto sleep and if you have to really go in the middle of the night, GO! Holding your urine will make you colder, and even colder than had you opened your sleeping bag and peed in that water bottle to relieve yourself!

Damn, I'm going to have to go camping now this winter!
#OutfitandExplore

Thank You Mike!

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Agree with much previously written. In particular, take a one night trip (backyard works) to determine the reality vs. theory of all your gear. Completely dry change of clothes for sleeping. My winter nemesis is hydration. Don't feel thirsty. When temps fall under 40°, the humidity drops significantly as well, so your lungs have to do double duty both warming and hydrating each breath. Depending on exertion and temps, can require up to an additional 2 qts. of fluids to make up for this loss alone. I'm normally away from any water sources, so in temps under 20° with several inches of snow cover combined and an active day, I've ended up melting 50 qts. of snow per day just to meet my fluid requirements. Cooking snow ends up being a half day affair if someone else is along.
Finally, it doesn't need to be that cold for hypothermia to kick in. Nearly 50° combined with sweat dampened clothes and a stiff breeze gave me a good scare a few years ago.

Last edited:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Back in my scouting days we would go on an annual snow camp out. We always brought a stack of cardboard, the bigger the sheets the better like from refrigerator boxes. We would stack them on the bottom with our gear on top, and after we got our tents set up we’d layer the bottom of the tent with them. It made a nice and free insulating layer for the tent. We’d also bring 4x4’ish pieces of plywood to sit our chairs on to not sink into the snow and keep our feet insulated.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: John D. and Faneius

Zol

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Daemon
Last Name
Cade
Member #

This is awesome I'm living out of my 4runner right now and I've got all those bases covered except for window fog overnight. Anyone know how to prevent that?

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
This is awesome I'm living out of my 4runner right now and I've got all those bases covered except for window fog overnight. Anyone know how to prevent that?
Here's a good video by @vagabondexpedition about bedding and window nets to keep condensation down and bugs (not a big worry in the winter, but overall.) Even in the winter cold, leaving a window cracked will help with condensation, but not totally eliminate it. Once in 9 degree weather, sleeping in my Jeep, the condensation was so bad, it actually made stalactites on my roof/hardtop! HAHAHAHA!

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Great article with great info! I just got back from a weekend camping trip in North Georgia, the weather brought heavy rains and 40 degree temps on Saturday, and the temp dropped to freezing with sleet on Sunday. I was prepared for the cold in some areas but lacked in others... I want to be better prepared for snow and colder temps this winter.

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

Absolutely the finest set of cold weather camping/exploring set of instructions you will find anywhere on the planet. Plan on a winter expedition? Print this, memories it, and use it as a checklist anyway. The section about water proof spray is so correct and essential. Do it, and you will never notice it, fail to check this off and suffer the consequences. We are not talking about comfort, we are talking about continued existence. Until they prop us old folks on the ice flow, this is our goal.