First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm hoping to meet other overlanders.

I'm almost finished with the front end. Tommorw I pick up the headlight adjusters and finish the hood latch bracket.

Here it is all mocked up:

That is an awesome front bumper for your van, Is it aftermarket or Ford made ?

Reactions: CaptainBuilt

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

That is an awesome front bumper for your van, Is it aftermarket or Ford made ?
It's a stock bumper. But they are supposed to have a skirt on the bottom of the bumper, and I didn't order that part just to keep everything higher off the ground.

Plus I'll be doing a offroad bumper soon. I just got the cheap knock off version to last a few months.

MotoHop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Portage Lakes, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

I'm tired from just reading about all the work that went into this van. This thing looks fantastic. A van is in my future.. just not sure when yet. I learned to drive in an Econoline, and I later drove Econolines and Sprinters for just shy of 10 years for work. It's been around 5 years since I drove a van regularly, and I'm having van withdrawal symptoms. lol

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Sweet build! I don't know if it was you, but I saw a van similar to this in Black Mountain today. I've always liked vans, just can't get over the limited space in the footwell.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Man that front end swap makes such a drastic change. Love it! Can’t wait to see what bumper you come up with. Did you seal the gas tank with a liner or anything after welding it back up?

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Man that front end swap makes such a drastic change. Love it! Can’t wait to see what bumper you come up with. Did you seal the gas tank with a liner or anything after welding it back up?
I painted it. It's been holding up well.

New Warn 12k winch wooooooo!

I went to UJOR to pick up a new bumper they make and a sPOD. When I got there is when the rear end gave up the ghost.
After 15k miles, the pinion nut on the rear end went out and jammed into the locker.

A bumper like this:

I never went full 4wd yet. I honestly didn't feel like messing with it. Since all this happened, and my van is at UJOR, I ordered a 6" kit so I can have 35's instead of 33's. Then on top of that, I'm re-gearing everything from 4.10 to 4.56, adding a OX locker in the rear, and a TrueTrac in the front.

My credit cards are now maxed out.

My current interior:

Looks all fine and dandy but it has a lot of space issues. I'll be revamping it once I get the van back.

On the to do list:

Build bed frame of steel instead of 2x4's.
Move toilet and fridge under bed with slide outs.
Move diesel heater from under the bad to underneath the van.
Re-configure the electrical system.

I added a rooftop ac and I need to do some interior ceiling work to make it work. And hopefully a roof rack.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Looks like someone reused the pinion nut.