Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

This is one BIG project you have started and almost finished. Not many people would take on the 4x4 conversion let alone the body and roof alterations. You certainly look to be qualified and doing a fantastic job. How much time have you sunk into your build ? When do you find time to do so much work ? I really appreciate you showing us your build !
Thanks!

The finish line is near. I'll always tinker with it, but 4WD is almost done, and so is the interior / exterior. Sometimes, it seems like I'll never finish lol.

I've had my van 1 1/2 years. Sometimes, I'll work on it all day for two weeks straight, then sometimes don't touch it for a couple months. No Idea the time I have in it. Probably 200 hours.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks!

The finish line is near. I'll always tinker with it, but 4WD is almost done, and so is the interior / exterior. Sometimes, it seems like I'll never finish lol.

I've had my van 1 1/2 years. Sometimes, I'll work on it all day for two weeks straight, then sometimes don't touch it for a couple months. No Idea the time I have in it. Probably 200 hours.
You have proven your patience and fortitude to the extreme !
I want to see you being able to enjoy all the work you have done in a relative short time.
It'll be fun to see where to take this beast, keep us drooling..

Reactions: 13ADVXterra

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I love what you are doing with the van. That thing is crazy, but in a good way.
I wish I was closer to you, I would buy the old wheels you took off the van, I need them for my project. Nobody sells them, they seem to throw them away instead. Now I want a set and can't find them.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I love what you are doing with the van. That thing is crazy, but in a good way.
I wish I was closer to you, I would buy the old wheels you took off the van, I need them for my project. Nobody sells them, they seem to throw them away instead. Now I want a set and can't find them.
I had almost brand new tires on the old van wheels. I sold them on Craigslist for a decent amount. If you want a set, holler at Chris at Ujoint Offroad. They have them by the dozens. I can ship a set to you from him if they won't.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Finally got the Raptor Liner on all of the van but the front clip, which I'll be swapping. I'm going hunting for a hood and grille tomorrow.

Close up:

Fenders came in:

Other front clip parts:

Doesn't that make it harder to clean ?

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Doesn't that make it harder to clean ?
Nah, I use a RV brush for the bottom section and it's worked great. I've been hunting for the rest of the parts. And can't find anything close by, so I'm gonna go ahead and spray the rest of the original front cap until I can gather up the rest of the parts.

With this just staring at me, I'm gonna get it done the next couple of days. I stopped by HF and picked up a press to press out the pinion bearings.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

My wife and I were talking about my van and how crazy it is from when I started until now.

Here's a reminder.

Taken yesterday:

I still need to find parts for the 08+ front end, so I decided to go ahead and spray the front cap with Raptor Liner. Everything off, talk about a cold air intake:

Looking fresh:

Today is the big day, time to install gears and a locker. Yay me........

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

When things are going great, what do you do? Mess it up right???

With a lot of cursing and sweating, I have the rear axle out:

Carnage:

Empty housing:

I was thrown for a loop when I seen this tone ring. But I've been told just install it as see and I shouldn't have any setup issues.

I bought a new press from HF to separate the pinion bearing, but the press had a bunch of parts missing. It will probably be Monday evening before I have her finished. Also next week, I'll be shortening the fuel tank.

All that's left is transmission rebuild, and a front locker.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I made some progress today. Had to grind down a socket. Bent some shims, need more.

The good news is, I got the pinion preload set. No idea where I am with the depth yet. I haven't checked it. But I did get the locker in. Had to fuss with it a bit. Still a long way to go, but tomorrow I'll be fighting getting everything setup.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Let me tell you something. Screw putting in diffs / gears. It succccked..... But I did it.

Everything is on the tight side.

Ring gear backlash is supposed to be from 6-10 thou. Mine is at 6. Pinion preload is supposed to be from 17-30 in lbs. Mine is at 17.

All new stuff, I hope it will wear in right. According to getting the pics checked by Chris / Rob at UJOR, they say my gear pattern is good. So that should work.

Everything in.

All buttoned up and filled with oil. I'll leave it sitting all night to see if the gasket is holding good. Install in the morning.

While I was waiting on shims to be delivered that I had to get overnighted, I decided to go ahead and pull the tank to shorten it to make room for the T-case.

I should have taken a before pic. Whew, it was DIRTY. I'll weld it up and be rolling again by tomorrow afternoon.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

The other day I got on the interstate and the rear end started vibrating real bad. I was like oh boy, here we go..... Come to find out I either didn't tighten the driveshaft flange enough or something, but the bolts were loose. After some thread locker and a re-tighten, everything is running smooth. No signs of any issues. I think by now if the rear diff was a bad install, it would show up by now.

I started on the 08+ front end conversion. It's getting there:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The other day I got on the interstate and the rear end started vibrating real bad. I was like oh boy, here we go..... Come to find out I either didn't tighten the driveshaft flange enough or something, but the bolts were loose. After some thread locker and a re-tighten, everything is running smooth. No signs of any issues. I think by now if the rear diff was a bad install, it would show up by now.

I started on the 08+ front end conversion. It's getting there:

I hurt from all your work but as usual you did a gooooooooood job !

Reactions: CaptainBuilt

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
From NC to Chicago, Mt. Rushmore, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, then SLC, Denver, Santa Fe, then Lafayette, La for thanksgiving with family. Wife will fly home and I will go to work on the boat. Then drive home after work.
Sounds like fun. Hope all goes well and your rig holds up to the long trip. Your bound to meet up with some fellow OB'ers on a trip thst long. You and @grubworm in La. Would hit it off good.

Reactions: CaptainBuilt