Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I "should" be rolling tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully.

I wanted to be rolling today, but ran into all kinds of stupid issues. Like having to remove the exhaust to get on the inside of the pass frame. Then I had to move my jack stand on the drivers side. Which sounds simple, but when you're maxed out on all your jacks height, it was an issue.

Then I had to deal with installing the axle shafts. That was fun. I still can't get the shocks in. So, that's gonna be another issue. But, I'm more worried about just getting the rear lifted and go to alignment. I still need to install the sway bar also.

If you compare photos, all it looks like I did was put the wheels on. Here's a list of today's activities:

Re-install exhaust (not fun on a van btw).
Install axles / axle seals.
Install Warn hubs.
Bleed brakes. Still needs another round I think. But I can do that without taking the wheels off.
Install Tie rods, steering arm (still needs adjusted more).
Fight with the shocks some lol.
Splice ABS lines.

Long list done. Still tons to do before I can take her out.

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Dig it man, one of my favorite builds so far. I’m a sucker for vans. Hoping to pick up one in the next few months.

DO IT NOW! You won't regret it.

And here she is boys. I still need the add a leaf in the rear, install the shocks, and get the front end aligned. But it's rolling!

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Holly. $hit. That’s legit!

So what did you use for your 4x4 components? I may have missed it in earlier threads... such as front diff and axles... etc..? Looking amazing man!

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Holly. $hit. That’s legit!

So what did you use for your 4x4 components? I may have missed it in earlier threads... such as front diff and axles... etc..? Looking amazing man!
Thanks. It's been hell. LOTS of work. Still not done yet.

I used a 2000 F-250 front axle with 4.10 gears, and the F-250 sway bar. The 4x4 conversion is is from UJointOffroad.com. I have the 4" kit.

The front will be getting a TrueTrac and the rear 4.10's and a ARB Air Locker. But I have to convert the rear to 35 spline axles. So, I'll new new rear axles, gears, and locker. Plus a OBA system.

Next on the agenda is the rear end. Then starting build out the interior. I'm also putting on a 08+ front clip and bed liner the whole van green.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Nice mate. Can’t wait for more updates. Definitely a ton of work but so satisfactory when you complete something on the giant to do list. Ujoint definitely makes some nice parts but damn expensive. I’m seeing the 4” kit is like 7k! Or is that for them to install it!?

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Nice mate. Can’t wait for more updates. Definitely a ton of work but so satisfactory when you complete something on the giant to do list. Ujoint definitely makes some nice parts but damn expensive. I’m seeing the 4” kit is like 7k! Or is that for them to install it!?
I think I paid around $3k for everything. Being local, I was able to get a lot of parts used from him. Like springs and steering knuckles, and a few other things.

I have about $1500 in the front axle totally rebuilt. And $1800 in wheels and tires.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

They want like $10k installed.

I've had questions about the axle sitting forward than usual. The way the suspension travel works, it goes rearward the more it compresses. Which means it goes more towards the center of the wheel well.

I got the wheel alignment today and it drives like a dream.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Finally installed the new springs. She's level now.

I have a shit ton of wiring to run I haven't done yet. But all the hard parts are on.

OBA (on board air) port on and Rigid Hyperspots:

OBA system in, still need to run the wiring:

I couldn't find a good way to mount the rear air port on the bumper and still make it look decent. So I tucked it up under the van. Still very easy to get to:

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I'm guessing that the pressure switch is built in the compressor......

Also, I built a DIY sPOD system.

The switch harness for the ARB compressor is crazy. It's a 4 wire plug and all this crap comes out of it:

Since I'm only doing a rear locker, and my own spod, I don't need it.

Late night taco run:

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I'm guessing that the pressure switch is built in the compressor......

Also, I built a DIY sPOD system.

The switch harness for the ARB compressor is crazy. It's a 4 wire plug and all this crap comes out of it:

Since I'm only doing a rear locker, and my own spod, I don't need it.

Late night taco run:

How'd you do that DIY sPOD? I'm looking at alternatives that are easier on the pocket book. Closest thing I've found was from Painless Performance but I'd have to add in the switch panel. Blue Sea also has a fuse block that is desirable but I'd have to add in the switches and relays.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Last edited:

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Got home, went skiing....

Also picked up a low mileage t case for almost nothing:

Checked to make sure the output shaft fit:

I tried to change out the radiator fan clutch, but that was a bust. I need a special tool. I also been have crazy high EGT's. I think due to failure of the EBPV valve.

They have a kit made for F-250's that halfway work for the vans. The pedestal works, but the flange that goes on the turbo that deletes the valve doesn't work. To fix that, I ground off the rivets on the valve, pulled it out, and plugged it with a freeze plug.

Turbo:

Valve shaft removed:

Plugged with a freeze plug:

I also have bellowed up pipes I wanna install. Can't because the stock up pipe bolts are trash, and one side was loose and I can't even tighten it. So those are on order.

Also, is the special tool for the clutch fan.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Great build!

I have a soft spot for vans and especially the Econoline's, my goal is to own one someday.