4Runnin from the East Bay

• HTML tutorial

RightCoastBias

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey all,

Just scooped an 08 4Runner SR5 a couple weeks ago and I've already begun planning some trips and executed some upgrades.

Added in some Bilstein 5100s, front and rear, set the rear to level the truck. I may go for a real lift in the future, but want to figure out my build a bit more before committing to a lift/spring rate. The 5100s went on because the stock shocks/struts were shot, at 200k. The ride is a LOT better now and actually having some rebound and compression isn't so bad!

Other than that, I added in some Falken Wildpeak AT3s, as the stock highway tires did not do it for me aesthetically or performance wise off-road. I also tossed a bit a plasti-dip around to some of the badges, though I'm not finished yet and tossed in a new head unit (no Bluetooth is brutal!) and some Weathertech mats to keep things clean. I've also got some white knuckle sliders on order, which I hope arrive before my first real trip I'm hoping to take Mid-February.

I've spent most of my off-road time on a motorcycle, packing light and going fast. I guess now that I'm getting into this overland thing, I don't need to worry about packing light or going too fast!

This vehicle will be used primarily running kids around town, occasional work commute when I am working on upgrades and/or service for the bike. I've spent the last 5 years without a 4 wheel vehicle of my own, though we've had a family car my partner would generally use, so having my own 4 wheeled vehicle is pretty exciting! I hope to take that excitement and visit some of the places I went to on a motorcycle over the last few years in the truck and explore in a new way.

My daughter and I went to play around in a mud pit recently in West Oakland, she wanted a picture for her mom.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey all,

Just scooped an 08 4Runner SR5 a couple weeks ago and I've already begun planning some trips and executed some upgrades.

Added in some Bilstein 5100s, front and rear, set the rear to level the truck. I may go for a real lift in the future, but want to figure out my build a bit more before committing to a lift/spring rate. The 5100s went on because the stock shocks/struts were shot, at 200k. The ride is a LOT better now and actually having some rebound and compression isn't so bad!

Other than that, I added in some Falken Wildpeak AT3s, as the stock highway tires did not do it for me aesthetically or performance wise off-road. I also tossed a bit a plasti-dip around to some of the badges, though I'm not finished yet and tossed in a new head unit (no Bluetooth is brutal!) and some Weathertech mats to keep things clean. I've also got some white knuckle sliders on order, which I hope arrive before my first real trip I'm hoping to take Mid-February.

I've spent most of my off-road time on a motorcycle, packing light and going fast. I guess now that I'm getting into this overland thing, I don't need to worry about packing light or going too fast!

This vehicle will be used primarily running kids around town, occasional work commute when I am working on upgrades and/or service for the bike. I've spent the last 5 years without a 4 wheel vehicle of my own, though we've had a family car my partner would generally use, so having my own 4 wheeled vehicle is pretty exciting! I hope to take that excitement and visit some of the places I went to on a motorcycle over the last few years in the truck and explore in a new way.

My daughter and I went to play around in a mud pit recently in West Oakland, she wanted a picture for her mom.

Hello and welcome to the OB crew...great looking Toy and look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

Reactions: RightCoastBias

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey all,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-meetups.24/
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-trip-planning.21/

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Reactions: RightCoastBias

RightCoastBias

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hello and welcome to the OB crew...great looking Toy and look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-meetups.24/
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-trip-planning.21/

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Thanks to you both for the welcome.

I've already been digging around in those sub-forums, which lead me to joining. Hoping to be able to attend a group meet in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Chadlyb