Votes: 23 42.6%

• Total voters

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

As a JKU owner, I can you this, if I did not own a JKU and have it built out already for overlanding, I would own a T4R. And I love Jeeps. I have sacrificed the top down doors off ability for security of a hardtop full time to protect my gear. As others have mentioned, it's nearly unstoppable on the trail and the Rubicon especially gives the driver tremendous confidence to go anywhere - perhaps too much confidence. But most of us take the paved roads to get to the dirt roads and the seats and the ride are equivalent to a city bus. Lots of people complain about room but I have had no issues with making use of space vs a T4R, I'd call them tied if laid out correctly. Toyota wins on reliability, but I'd argue about resale value. Have you ever priced used Wranglers? They hold their value incredibly well. So well that people complain about how expensive even the used ones are. Aftermarket parts, Jeep wins hands down and because of that competition of suppliers it's less expensive (although still expensive) to build it out. Hope this helps.

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

As a JKU owner, I can you this, if I did not own a JKU and have it built out already for overlanding, I would own a T4R. And I love Jeeps. I have sacrificed the top down doors off ability for security of a hardtop full time to protect my gear. As others have mentioned, it's nearly unstoppable on the trail and the Rubicon especially gives the driver tremendous confidence to go anywhere - perhaps too much confidence. But most of us take the paved roads to get to the dirt roads and the seats and the ride are equivalent to a city bus. Lots of people complain about room but I have had no issues with making use of space vs a T4R, I'd call them tied if laid out correctly. Toyota wins on reliability, but I'd argue about resale value. Have you ever priced used Wranglers? They hold their value incredibly well. So well that people complain about how expensive even the used ones are. Aftermarket parts, Jeep wins hands down and because of that competition of suppliers it's less expensive (although still expensive) to build it out. Hope this helps.
This is some great info. This is going to be a hard decision! We will have to drive them both and make up our minds. Either way I am sure the community will help me turn my car into a killer Rig.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Go over to Enterprise car rentals and rent a Jeep for the day or weekend. Let your wife drive it around all day doing her normal chores and at the end of the day let her decide if she really does like the Jeep. Better to spend $350 for a weekend than $35,000 for 4/5 years just to find out that once the coolness wears out it is a different beast of a vehicle. Jeeps are great vehicles, but the purpose of a Jeep is not for daily driving or long road trips. Also think about if you purchase the soft top version - yearly replacement of the top is very expensive due to faded, scratched windows, rattles of the mounts, insulation from the cold or hot weather, rips or tears from thieves and the fun that you will have trying to install the top in cold weather vs hot weather (shrinkage). As a daily driver I would say 4Runner, as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle Jeeps are cool.

My wife loves the look of the Explorer Sport trac and then she drove one and that changed her mind completely. So let her make that decision if she is the one who will be driving it every day.

Reactions: ngurney

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Is that an Aussie in your avatar? Once you decide to move up to kid status we will be glad to take your dog off of your hands.

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

Go over to Enterprise car rentals and rent a Jeep for the day or weekend. Let your wife drive it around all day doing her normal chores and at the end of the day let her decide if she really does like the Jeep. Better to spend $350 for a weekend than $35,000 for 4/5 years just to find out that once the coolness wears out it is a different beast of a vehicle. Jeeps are great vehicles, but the purpose of a Jeep is not for daily driving or long road trips. Also think about if you purchase the soft top version - yearly replacement of the top is very expensive due to faded, scratched windows, rattles of the mounts, insulation from the cold or hot weather, rips or tears from thieves and the fun that you will have trying to install the top in cold weather vs hot weather (shrinkage). As a daily driver I would say 4Runner, as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle Jeeps are cool.

My wife loves the look of the Explorer Sport trac and then she drove one and that changed her mind completely. So let her make that decision if she is the one who will be driving it every day.
Is that an Aussie in your avatar? Once you decide to move up to kid status we will be glad to take your dog off of your hands.
Great advice! Yeah it is a mini aussie! Great dog, but too smart for her own good!

Reactions: Graeman

Mitchapalooza

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maryland
Member #

Our household is fortunate to have one of each... I drive the JKU and my wife drives the T4R. I absolutely love them both, but they both have their pro's and cons when it comes to storage, ride quality and aftermarket support. So like the other have said....it's really going to boil down to personal preference. Although I am a biased jeep guy and have been since childhood I can honestly say they're both great vehicles.

Good Luck with your decision!

And don't forget. Happy wife....Happy Life. :yum:

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

Our household is fortunate to have one of each... I drive the JKU and my wife drives the T4R. I absolutely love them both, but they both have their pro's and cons when it comes to storage, ride quality and aftermarket support. So like the other have said....it's really going to boil down to personal preference. Although I am a biased jeep guy and have been since childhood I can honestly say they're both great vehicles.

Good Luck with your decision!

And don't forget. Happy wife....Happy Life. :yum:
Yeah maybe we can get into this boat one day! Which one is your overlanding vehicle?

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Well, let's see, I have owned a 1989, 1997, and 2007 Jeep Wrangler, with the last being a Rubicon. I have also owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, a 1999. I love the initial purchase of all. They are amazingly fun vehicles and have great off-road prowess. However, their reliability leaves much to be desired. Their gas mileage leaves much to be desired. The Wrangler's comfort on long trips is terrible. The MPG, if you care, is atrocious. Look at Consumer Reports and Wranglers; almost all black dots.

I now have a Toyota 4runner and the fit and finish is awesome. The reliability is amazing. Plus, is you get the trail, the off road ability is comparable.

In the end, most will say what they have is better, because let's face it, who wants to trash what they own. However, I have had much experience in both and I don't even flinch in owning a 4runner!!

Cheers!

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

After reading through all this I kinda had to chuckle a bit.
Reliability? NO issues with my Rubicon and it started as a crawler with a lot of hard miles that would make a 4runner cry.
Resale? I can buy a 2 year old Taco for a song, try that with a Rubicon.
Comfort? Heated Seats, A/C, Convertible, Cruise Control, Remote Start, OEM Power Inverter...??? Really ???
Gas Mileage? Who cares...carry extra if you cant plan, Overlanders are resourceful.

Both vehicles are pretty comparible except the Jeep has WAY better resale value, lots of history and a dusty lookin Taco in the rear view on your way to camp where few dare to go...YOU decide on base camp...not your vehicle :wink:

Oh yeah and space? Space? Well everything in this camp photo below was fit in, or on our Rubicon...I think your wife is spot on with her "preference"...LOL
And YES...we pack WAY too much chit man...lol... Good Luck With Your Decision

P1010783.JPG

Even a portable toilet and dual battery solar kit gets in here...

P1010801.JPG

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Reliability? NO issues with my Rubicon and it started as a crawler with a lot of hard miles that would make a 4runner cry.
Comfort? Heated Seats, A/C, Convertible, Cruise Control, Remote Start, OEM Power Inverter...??? Really ???
Gas Mileage? Who cares...carry extra if you cant plan, Overlanders are resourceful.

Both vehicles are pretty comparible except the Jeep has WAY better resale value, lots of history and a dusty lookin Taco in the rear view on your way to camp where few dare to go...YOU decide on base camp...not your vehicle :wink:

Oh yeah and space? Space? Well everything in this camp photo below was fit in, or on our Rubicon...I think your wife is spot on with her "preference"...LOL

View attachment 22767

View attachment 22766
Have you owned a 4Runner? LOL

However, like I stated, no one will "diss" their ride. Why would we?

Awesome that you love your rig. Looks amazing! I know you love it and have lots of fun.

Cheers to happiness!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Ok, fine I will dis my ride. Lol I recently bought the 4runner when I was actually out looking for a Grand Cherokee with a V8. The Toyota was more expensive than the same year Jeep GC, I was not looking at JK's because living in Phx is a thief's paradise and I don't want to spend money and come outside and not have my goodies where I left them. Sure buy a garage and it will be safe, but at work it doesn't sit in a safe garage. The Toyota is good all around and also boring as I see them and Jeeps everywhere I look and I get tired of that. So that is my only problem with the 4runner. Btw, off road both vehicles with the same amount of modifications will go the same places.

Mitchapalooza

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maryland
Member #

Yeah maybe we can get into this boat one day! Which one is your overlanding vehicle?
They're both my favorite! just depends on where we're headed and who's going. If it's just me the Jeep always wins because I lover her more than my wife. If the family/kids(2) are going we usually take the T4R because we are all more comfortable with the extra space.

Mitchapalooza

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maryland
Member #

View attachment 22767

View attachment 22766
Love the rear mount CVT! that's a great set up.

Darthbaggins

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Cromartie
Member #

Personally my T4R has come to the aid of many Jeep's. I love both and would say if you were looking at a Rubicon Unlimited with the 4.0L then it would be a real toss up on reliability. T4R's have have the same modability as a Jeepster and then some.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Skimmed over some of what other people are saying. If room is the biggest factor I'd say go for the T4R. While I love my JKU and won't give it up, space is at a premium. I also read about the fatigue someone had mentioned. The NVH isn't horrible, but is definitely noticeable. It doesn't help that I can't keep my knee bent for long periods of time, but I can get worn out driving it long distances. My fiancée and I are planning on having kids and a dog in the future too. To be able to fit all of that we most likely will end up towing a trailer since space is limited in the JKU. I would enjoy a T4R, but I've only sat in one for a limited amount of time and have no driving experience with one so take it as a grain of salt. I've seen several videos on how capable they are. Either way you'll be getting a great platform, just make sure you drive both and go from there. Two similar, but very different vehicles.

Edit: I voted for the T4R.

Reactions: ngurney and Sean S

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I went though this exact process 6 months ago. What it comes down to me was fun and I do carry and emotional connection to the Wrangler.

Needless to say I have a 2017 JKUR in my driveway and I love it. Does it ride on the highway as well as a 4Runner nope but does it ride good enough yep. Plus I added the headliners what a difference that makes.

I've had a '01 TJ and a '06 LJ and I will say the JKU is so much more refined then both of those. Just took a road trip a few weeks back and was very surprised how easy it was to drive.

The key I found to comfort in a Wrangler is to keep it at 70 and under. Anything over 70 on my stock Rubi tires it can get a bit squirrley and harder to drive.

Bottomline with the Wrangler is its fun and fits certain people. The 4Runner is definitely more of a comfort truck but not a "fun" in some people's eyes. I took a long hard look at the 4Runner before getting the JKU and was almost sold. My love of Wrangler won out in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

We have two jeeps currently, TJ and JKU. Our JKU is a 2014 and we have had zero issues with it. Not the room that a T4R has, but that suspension is hard to beat off-road. My TJ is a rock crawler, so it doesn't see any overlanding.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

Reactions: Jason Clark

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

View attachment 22767

View attachment 22766
Id like to address some of your comments if I could.
First, we are talking T4R here, not Tacos. Yep, a jeep will leave a dusty old Taco in the rear view mirror, but again we aren't talking Tacos, we are talking T4Rs, and a T4R will leave a dusty old Taco in the rearview mirror too.
Resale? Pick up a Taco for a song? O.K. if you wanna think that thats cool, but Im not real sure what a song is to you.
Lets talk initial purchase price.
2017 Jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon......... with soft top............. $56,540
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=454200915&zip=86326&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=86326&showcaseOwnerId=55955187&startYear=1981&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=200&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=WRANGLER&makeCodeList=JEEP&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=JEEP&modelCode1=WRANGLER
2017 Toyota T4R TRD PRO $48,988
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=455473730&zip=86326&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=86326&showcaseOwnerId=55955187&startYear=2017&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=4RUN&makeCodeList=TOYOTA&searchRadius=0&trimCodeList=4RUN%7CTRD+Pro&startYear=2017&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=4RUN&makeCodeList=TOYOTA&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=4RUN
And since you mentioned a Taco
2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO
$55,411
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=453674271&zip=86326&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=86326&showcaseOwnerId=55955187&startYear=2017&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=TACOMA&makeCodeList=TOYOTA&searchRadius=0&startYear=2017&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=TACOMA&makeCodeList=TOYOTA&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=TACOMA
2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road $44,895
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=453296385&zip=86326&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=86326&showcaseOwnerId=55955187&startYear=2017&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=TACOMA&makeCodeList=TOYOTA&searchRadius=0&trimCodeList=TACOMA%7CTRD+Off-Road&startYear=2017&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=TACOMA&makeCodeList=TOYOTA&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=TACOMA
So as we see, a loaded out top of the line T4r or Taco is less than a more Basic Rubi. You start going up into the special editions, which is what a PRO is, limited number made, your going to start getting into the 60,000$ range for a Jeep.
So my OR I can take and put 10,000$ dollars into it EASY and still be under the price of the Jeep, and thats a comparable comparison. TRD Off Road and Rubicon Unlimited with hard top. I already get jaw dropping looks of amazement from jeep guys when they see me show up where they are, and that was with a stock truck. Now that Ive got a slight upgrade to the suspension, and better tires, not even much bigger, just a bit better, the truck is even better. What do you think would happen if I added 10,000$ in upgrades? LOL.
And it still isn't as good as a T4R.
I also want to mention, fuel mileage DOES matter. So does weight. Carry more fuel, your carrying more weight. Ive got a friend that had a built Jeep Rubicon. He got tired of how small it was, how terrible it handled on the road, and how bad the fuel mileage was, oh ya, and also how undependable it was, and he traded it in on a Taco, has left it stock so far, and is happy as can be with how it performs off road. He just did Mohave road and more a couple weeks ago and the truck didn't have a problem. LOL.
So lets tone down the arrogance a bit, can we?
Remember, "It doesn't matter what you drive, just that your out there".

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I've had a Wrangler, though an older version, and t4r, also older gen. To me it comes down to your plans. If you are going to go offroad for the night, then a Wrangler would be great. If you are planning a week long trip, on and off road, then T4R is a better bet. Not just storage, but also normal riding. I remember downshifting to 3rd gear in the jeep to snail crawl up a hill on the highway, while my T4R is actually accelerating. The aftermarket for newer T4R is getting good. Helps that Expedition Overland is running them and pushing popularity. Also, if your wife is into soft top, that's going to be an issue. No point in locking a soft top IMO because replacing a cut top is worse. So if you plan on building it up, then you will need to look at a hard top. Both rigs are great and won't leave you disappointed, just have to decide what your priorities are. You mentioned buying the Rubi and then switching to a T4R. You will be invested, emotionally and financially, in that Rubi and probably won't let it go. Just another thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app