Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback! He really is a beautiful rig, I've only had him for a little over a month and I am the happiest I can be when I'm in that cockpit. I drove him back from Bozeman to NY and enjoyed it thoroughly!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
How did you find out they were selling? I figured they would sell locally like they did with their old Tacoma.

G8TR05

Rank III

Steward III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I have been a T4R guy for some time now but my latest is an 06 Sport. Just beginning to get it set up for some exploring adventures. Waiting on parts to arrive!

View attachment 57328
Great look. I have an '07 Sport with 265/70/R17s. What did you do to get that stance? I need to stop the tires rubbing on full crank, but nothing to outlandish.

Reactions: Shake

G8TR05

Rank III

Steward III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
A 4runner thread, nice!

I just picked up this 2016 TRD Pro. Everything is stock for now, will slowly mod things as I need them. Added a few convenience items like Huskey liners and N-Fab side steps for the wifey.

Question for other 5th gen/TRD Pro owners. Have you been able to successfully get your alignment within Toyota specs? I noticed my car would drfit slightly to the left, and my steering wheel needs to be turned slightly to the right in order to go straight. I took it to an alignment shop, and they were unable to get everything within spec (I used Toyota 4runner Trail specs, they didn't have one for the TRD Pro). My caster is slightly out of range. I found others complaining about the same thing on some 4runner forums, but it doesn't seem like anyone has found a resolution.

View attachment 64419
I recommend taking it to a dealer. I have a 4th gen, but the dealer did a great job on the alignment.

G8TR05

Rank III

Steward III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Technically it's my better half's, but we picked this 2018 TRD Off Road Premium up from the dealer last week. It's our first Toyota, having mostly owned Jeeps. I'm excited to try it out on the trails, it will be a mild build as we have the Jeep Rubicon for the rougher stuff. We'll upgrade the tires to BF Goodrich K02s, add some sliders and appropriate skids and maybe eventually a small lift. Otherwise, we will probably leave it alone as it is her daily driver and we have an off-road trailer which has all the other goodies we need on the trail.

Here it is in the driveway the morning after the pickup:

The 4Runner and the Jeep, living in harmony..haha!
The 4Runner can handle anything the Jeep can do.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

G8TR05

Rank III

Steward III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
XO told me that they had to sell Apollo and Rufio to fund their South America expedition and because it is expensive to own and operate a lot of vehicles. Sad to see them go. Hopefully, they'll decide to use 4Runners in the future.
Update on Rufio's status. XO sold it to Garmin. If you go to this Garmin Overlander page (Garmin Overlander™ | Navigation for Overlanding) and click on the video at the bottom of the page, you will see Rufio in Garmin livery and about 0:46 in, you will see Ivan Stewart's signature on the headliner (remember, he signed both Apollo and Rufio). So now we now.

SilverRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale DMV, Glendale, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Jordan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QYP
9E9B5AA7-1FBA-4D60-B810-433EA68B6916.jpeg
2017 TRD OFF ROAD

ICON Stage 2 lift.
WildPeak AT3 285/70 17 LT.
FN Wheels FNW F/X Pro 17x8 +0 6x139.7 MATTE BLACK.
Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System
Odyssey 35-PC1400 Batteries.
Switch Pro 8100.
GOBI Stealth Rack and Ladder.
Front Runner Drawer System.
ARB Awning.
ARB Twin Compressor.
Pelfreybilt front bumper.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Great look. I have an '07 Sport with 265/70/R17s. What did you do to get that stance? I need to stop the tires rubbing on full crank, but nothing to outlandish.
You might try spacers on your front wheels, cost about $50 and cures many frame rum problems. Just follow instructions on install for safety sake and I wouldn't exceed 1 1/2" with stock wheels.

Reactions: grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Eder

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Eder
Last Name
Lores
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none
View attachment 134229
2017 TRD OFF ROAD

ICON Stage 2 lift.
Switch Pro 8100.
ARB Awning.
ARB Twin Compressor.
What front bumper is that?

G8TR05

Rank III

Steward III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
View attachment 134229
2017 TRD OFF ROAD

ICON Stage 2 lift.
Switch Pro 8100.
ARB Awning.
ARB Twin Compressor.
What lights are you running on the rack?