4Runner Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

True North

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, California
Member #

I'll be swapping out my fog lights for some Baja designs squadron sports, but am having a hard time deciding between the wide cornering or the driving/combo option. Can any 5th gen folks recommend which ones to get?

I was leaning towards the driving/combo because I don't anticipate doing a lot of offroading at night.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I'll be swapping out my fog lights for some Baja designs squadron sports, but am having a hard time deciding between the wide cornering or the driving/combo option. Can any 5th gen folks recommend which ones to get?

I was leaning towards the driving/combo because I don't anticipate doing a lot of offroading at night.
Are those DOT legal?

I considered a full swap, but am now leaning towards just an LED bulb swap.

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

They are not DOT legal. The sports are not as bright as the pros (1800 lumens vs 4900 lumens), and I've read the sports are fine for daily driving. The pros should used for offroad only.
Correct, the Sports are fine for daily driving. One of the Baja Designs employees has them on his 4th Gen and has been running them for a long with no issues. I have the Pros, even on a bright day they're too bright to run on the street. (They are great for waking up clueless people on their phones though . . .)

I got the spot/wide combo and really like the broad mix of light they offer.

True North

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, California
Member #

Correct, the Sports are fine for daily driving. One of the Baja Designs employees has them on his 4th Gen and has been running them for a long with no issues. I have the Pros, even on a bright day they're too bright to run on the street. (They are great for waking up clueless people on their phones though . . .)

I got the spot/wide combo and really like the broad mix of light they offer.
Thanks Yeti! Looks like I'll be going with the same.

Reactions: YETI X

dride

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Issaquah, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Daniel
16 sr5
Toytec 5100 3/2 light
Total chaos uca
Scs f5 8.5 wide-10mm offset
Ridge grappler 285/70 r17
Shrockworks sliders
Arb rear diff breather
New to 4x4 but always been into our doors activities and admired 4runners so I finally treated myself and got this new to me truck. Still need to get my air and afew recovery pieces before I venture off the fs roads.
IMG_3115.JPG

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
16 sr5
Toytec 5100 3/2 light
Total chaos uca
Scs f5 8.5 wide-10mm offset
Ridge grappler 285/70 r17
Shrockworks sliders
Arb rear diff breather
New to 4x4 but always been into our doors activities and admired 4runners so I finally treated myself and got this new to me truck. Still need to get my air and afew recovery pieces before I venture off the fs roads.
View attachment 66429
Nice ride. Are you planning on a bumper with winch?

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

When I met my wife in 2008 she was driving a 2005 Lexus ES 330. It has served her well and now has just over 290k miles. As she has talked about replacing her vehicle I tried to nudge her toward something a little more capable off-road. She kept talking about a Grand Cherokee which I was not thrilled about.

Then last week she said, “what about a 4Runner?” I contacted a buddy at the local Toyota dealership and they had just gotten a 2016 Trail with 24k miles as a trade in. We went in the next day and the vehicle was in practically new condition. I crawled underneath and saw no evidence it had ever been off road. I had already been preapproved with USAA for financing so we worked out a deal and signed the papers. Now we have to wait a few days for the vehicle to be inspected/certified and prepped.

I am totally excited about this vehicle, but not nearly as excited as my wife. 2D307307-3EA6-499C-8C01-AED61780E9F6.jpeg

DE5DDABD-B14A-4B58-910E-22B484015E37.jpeg

Last edited:

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

When I met my wife in 2008 she was driving a 2005 Lexus ES 330. It has served her well and now has just over 290k miles. As she has talked about replacing her vehicle I tried to nudge her toward something a little more capable off-road. She kept talking about a Grand Cherokee which I was not thrilled about.

Then last week she said, “what about a 4Runner?” I contacted a buddy at the local Toyota dealership and they had just gotten a 2016 Trail with 24k miles as a trade in. We went in the next day and the vehicle was in practically new condition. I crawled underneath and saw no evidence it had ever been off road. I had already been preapproved with USAA for financing so we worked out a deal and signed the papers. Now we have to wait a few days for the vehicle to be inspected/certified and prepped.

I am totally excited about this vehicle, but not nearly as excited as my wife. View attachment 66866

View attachment 66868
Great looking 4Runner! Welcome to the club!

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Really nice wheels! No way I'm gettin' 35s on mine. Bring on the rocks!

Reactions: ZRex

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

I am totally excited about this vehicle, but not nearly as excited as my wife. View attachment 66866

View attachment 66868
Now the fun begins. [emoji41]

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
The wife and I just picked up a 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium.

I'm in the process of blacking out all of the godawful silver trim (I lack just the front bumper cover at this point) and am shopping for a lift and front bumper at the moment. I hope to have it ready to go out to Moab and Ouray around this time next year.