4Runner Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

trek_xiii

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Spring Lake, NC
Member #

Okay, got my new wheels and tires installed. Here's the run down...Stealth Custom Series F5 wheels, Matte Dark Bronze, 17 x 8.5", -10 offset. Tires are General Grabber AT2's, 285/70r17. Had some minor rubbing on the passenger side mud flap in reverse at full lock, mud flaps now removed...though the pictures don't reflect the mudflap removal.

20160930_173233.jpg 20160930_173222.jpg

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

2005 T4R SR5. Originally bought it for a quick solution and it here we are 2 1/2 years later in the middle of a wonderful love affair.
Latest updates have been in the Rhino set up on the roof - and I'm trying to find a way to mount my CB antenna off the rear bumper or in the region - so far it's been a pain in the arse.

T4R_Ragged1.jpg

J

Jonovision

2005 T4R SR5. Originally bought it for a quick solution and it here we are 2 1/2 years later in the middle of a wonderful love affair.
Latest updates have been in the Rhino set up on the roof - and I'm trying to find a way to mount my CB antenna off the rear bumper or in the region - so far it's been a pain in the arse.

View attachment 10018
you want that antenna whip up as high as you can get it. the rear bumper is a terrible spot for SWR, ask me how I know

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

you want that antenna whip up as high as you can get it. the rear bumper is a terrible spot for SWR, ask me how I know
Hahaha, okay - how do you know?

Sidenote: I used to have it mounted horizontal on my roof and it did exceedingly well once tuned. I swapped out racks and that's no longer an option.

J

Jonovision

Hahaha, okay - how do you know?

Sidenote: I used to have it mounted horizontal on my roof and it did exceedingly well once tuned. I swapped out racks and that's no longer an option.
Rear bumper skin is plastic you're not going to get a good ground plane, and if you are trying to contact anyone in front of you, most of the signal will be blocked by the truck. Put it high on the tailgate, on the roof, or on your hood, and make sure the mount is substantially grounded to the body

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Rear bumper skin is plastic you're not going to get a good ground plane, and if you are trying to contact anyone in front of you, most of the signal will be blocked by the truck. Put it high on the tailgate, on the roof, or on your hood, and make sure the mount is substantially grounded to the body
I haven't had issues in the past, but this obviously makes sense.