4runner guys...kdss ir no kdss

• HTML tutorial

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I am pretty much decided on ordering a 2018 TRD offroad premium. For options I want the sliding cargo tray and moonroof. My plans are to do National and State Park trips, explore documented routes like TAT , and eventually venture into BC and Alaska. What are your thoughts on adding the kdss feature as an option?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I ordered my 2016 Trail Premium (renamed TRD Offroad for 2017) with KDSS. I did so, because I live a long way from most places where I would be exploring, and most of where I do explore will not be extreme conditions. So I wanted a comfortable road ride. I don't have any suspension modification plans, and the KDSS offers more articulation off road than a stock non-KDSS suspension. So KDSS was the best choice for *my* use.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Kdss looks pretty cool unless you plan on too many modifications to the vehicle. I would mostly be concerned with the long term serviceability. It sounds like potentially a lot of money down the road when things start wearing out or breaking. Personally I'd skip it, but if you're going to keep it pretty stock and probably going to trade in after a few years anyway before things like that start needing attention then it probably is a pretty nice ride. They use it on the new land cruisers and they don't skimp on anything with those. Maybe look into the long term cost of the system when things start to need replacing down the road before pulling the trigger? Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: archee29

archee29

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

St. Catharines, Ontario
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Lamarche
Member #

I have KDSS on my '10 TE T4R. As @Lintnercorey mentionned, it it more expensive for modifications. When I was inquiring what the cost of a 1.5" Front Spacer Lift (which I later decided against) would be, I received two prices: one for T4Rs WITH kdss, and one for T4Rs WITHOUT kdss. The pricing for T4Rs WITH kdss was significantly more expensive.

As for the serviceability, my '10 T4R as 321 000 kms now, and have had no problems.

That being said, I would agree w/ @Steve . I'm not doing any extreme off-roading, but I enjoy going for some off-road fun on trails & stuff. From my experience, I can vouch for KDSS.

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

2017 T4R w/ NO KDSS here. Only have 1,500 miles on mine. Can't speak to the KDSS but I don't find my daily commute bad at all w/ out. Have taken it on some light trails w/ great success. I do have my OME suspension in the mail and Expedition One rear bumper on the way as well.

At the moment, I do not regret my choice.

Good Luck and be sure to also get on the T4R forums, so much good information there.

-Chris

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

2017 T4R w/ NO KDSS here. Only have 1,500 miles on mine. Can't speak to the KDSS but I don't find my daily commute bad at all w/ out. Have taken it on some light trails w/ great success. I do have my OME suspension in the mail and Expedition One rear bumper on the way as well.

At the moment, I do not regret my choice.

Good Luck and be sure to also get on the T4R forums, so much good information there.

-Chris
Do you have a link to your "build"? I would like to see photos!

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

2017 TRD Off Road Premium withOUT KDSS here. Here was my thinking behind this.

Coming from a 2005 4runner with the XREAS I can personally say it was a pain to work around. Lifts became difficult and it eventually started leaking and so I ended up ripping it out. KDSS has the same issues when it comes to lifts. Just the other day I was talking to my friend who works for MetalTech and we were discussing lift options. His very first comment was "Well...you have KDSS so that makes it a little limited on our options" and when I told him I built mine with the standard suspension without KDSS his eyes lit up and he said "GREAT call! Thats awesome."

KDSS is awesome for the person looking to just drive daily on the road but if you end up upgrading the suspension, its going to get in the way and make things more difficult. It also will end up leaking and causing issues down the road - potentially.

My 2 cents is you're better without it.

jtranum

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cleveland, MS
Member #

I like to avoid any additional parts that could cause issues. KDSS just seems like one more thing that could go wrong.

So my 2017 4runner TRD does not have it. Driving it for about a month now and have already put several hundred miles of gravel roads on it, a trip to the mountains, and plenty of highway miles; I don't see the need for KDSS.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
When I put 33s on my 2016 Trail the spare wouldn't fit in the normal spare location because of the KDSS bar running beside the space. Not a deal breaker since I was putting on a tire carrier anyway, but one thing I hadn't considered.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

I hope you dont regret it, KDSS is fantastic! Its been around for years on other Toyota models without any problems.

The only real limitation is that it can not be lifted more than 3 inches. All parts relevant aftermarket parts are specifically made for KDSS or non-KDSS models too.

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Purcellville, VA, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Rrrrrr
Member #

I have a 2017 with KDSS. I test drove many times, both KDSS and non-KDSS, and went for the KDSS. The ride on the road was noticeably better to me. Can't speak to the off road aspect, as I've only driven my KDSS off road.
XREAS and KDSS are two different systems. XREAS gets in the way of most mods, from what I've read, and talking to mechanics and people that own it. KDSS much less so, certainly won't matter with what I have planned or have already done. For example, suspension kit with about a 3" lift was easily accomplished. Planned sliders may require unbolting a bracket or two during installation. A few companies don't make a KDSS compatible version of sliders, but plenty of others do.

Either way, have fun with the new ride.

Reactions: MBroenkow

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Another KDSS fan here. Better handling on and off-road. I have a Stage 2 Icon upgraded suspension and have had no issues.

KDSS and XREAS are two different animals. With XREAS you were stuck with the factory suspension until you ripped it out. Having said that, my 2006 Sport Edition w/XREAS is still rolling around town with over 200,000 miles on it with its new family. They love it...

The prototype TRD Pro was originally built on a Trail Edition platform with KDSS. Costs cut the KDSS from the Pro, not performance.

WestSlopeAdventure-1616.jpg

As an ex-sportscar racer, I'd say this pig handles pretty good in the twisty bits for as much crap as I carry. Corners fairly flat with little body roll. Of course, I understand its limitations and drive it accordingly.

Last edited: