44qt Fridge for $60 shipped, possible scam...

• HTML tutorial

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

So I was at work browsing around eBay looking for something to use the coupon on I was emailed and stumbled across a 44qt fridge for $60 shipped. It's in China and the brand isn't specified but the pictures show it to be a common knock off that appears decent for a couple few hundred bucks.

Seller been selling a year with all positive feedback throughout the year as a seller minus one negative.

It checked out on the computer and via mobile app. I had pp balance so no credit card info. Qualified for PayPal protection. Figured worth the risk. Enough pictures and info that if it does show up wrong PayPal will refund. If it is a scam PayPal will refund. Worse case scenario I'm out $60. I think it was worth the gamble.

It's ordered. Whole process was standard eBay and seemed legit. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath. Will update as this goes.
Screenshot_20190612-183527_eBay.jpeg

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

A friend bought something that was to good to be true. It was a Scam. Yeah he got his money back but are we to trust any e-bay purchase from China?

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
My guess is that it is a cooler, not a fridge. You can get 12v coolers pretty cheap but they don't have the cooling capabilities and/or thee efficient power usage that a compressor fridge provides. Good luck and I hope it is true - if not, you'll have something you can use for car trips to keep sodas cold while driving...

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

Just now got shipping confirmation so that is a step the right direction. I know there are still a lot of variables and factors involved in this being a success but, we'll see.

And to clarify, I am fully aware that this is too good to be true and what all the means. I will not be shocked if something is totally off about it all. But again, for $60 I was will to risk it especially with all the buyer protection on it.

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

Whatever they are shipping was accepted and is in transit. USPS tracking shows it in their system.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I've bought quite a bit of camping gear on eBay from China. The sellers are completely afraid of a bad review and are willing to make it right with buyers. Too ma y poor reviews and they get booted from selling. The quality may not be awesome but it'll probably be worth the money you spent. I wouldn't worry. Post up your reviews once yoh receive it.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well if youve bought enough electronics from both american companies and so called chinese knock off companies youd notice that they are all made in china and look very similar well thats because they are made in the same factory. Here in america we are really bad about putting a "name brand" on stuff then marking it up to a ridiculous ammount. All the knockoff company is doing is rebranding or no branding items and selling them just over the cost to make them. I have a costway 13000lb winch with a 6hp series wound motor turns out that a warn winch 5.5hp motor fits and works just fine. There are a few knockoffs out there but its rare nowdays because these companies are making the original and selling the same thing under their own brand name cheaper. Folks get so caught up in brand recognition that they dont realize that chinese winch that gets made fun of is the same as they have with a different sticker on it. The same thing is happening in the firearm world with scopes and red dot sights. You will likely get what you ordered.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

Not “possibly” a scam it is 100% a scam.
While I believe there is a high percentage chance that it is a scam I surely wouldn't call it 100%. At any rate, pretty risk free on my part. Only thing I'm giving up is temporary use of my $60. If it is in fact a scam or just incorrect, the purchase falls into Ebay/Paypal buyer protection. If you've never used it they have it set up to be very simple for the buyer.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

I wouldn't waste my time or money on a product like this. Save your & buy one worthy of there repetition.
I think what you mean is that I should possibly be paying for a companies marketing.

I do'n't know if this item will be real or a scam. I don't know who actually made it. It may be total junk. But at $60 with guarantee I'm willing to take that minimal risk to find out.

I think a lot of folks fail to realize that the "brand name item with a reputation" is often the identical item coming out of Chinese warehouses minus the brand name. The saying that one is "paying for the name" isn't wrong or bad. You're often just paying for the warranty and customer service if there is a problem. Not mad at anyone who wants to spend their good money on a big brand item. I do it often and may do it again eventually on a fridge for the rig, but for now this is more for my curiosity and entertainment.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I think what you mean is that I should possibly be paying for a companies marketing.

I do'n't know if this item will be real or a scam. I don't know who actually made it. It may be total junk. But at $60 with guarantee I'm willing to take that minimal risk to find out.

I think a lot of folks fail to realize that the "brand name item with a reputation" is often the identical item coming out of Chinese warehouses minus the brand name. The saying that one is "paying for the name" isn't wrong or bad. You're often just paying for the warranty and customer service if there is a problem. Not mad at anyone who wants to spend their good money on a big brand item. I do it often and may do it again eventually on a fridge for the rig, but for now this is more for my curiosity and entertainment.
no, that isn't what I meant. I believe I was quite understanding what I was saying. I own a Engel, I've owned 2 Engels & never had any issues with either one. I upgraded from a 24qt to a 40qt. Engels are not Chinese made. No one copies Engel on the design nor their compressor. They are "the" stand alone portable fridge\freezer for over 50 yrs .Whether "you" feel that you need to pay what you feel is fit for you, that's your choice, I'm in th is for longevity & reliability. Pay once cry once I say.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I dissagree with buy once cry once policy i used to use craftsman tools because i thought they would be made well since it is made in usa, unfortunately ive broken every craftsman tool ive ever bought doing normal stuff with them. I had a craftsman torque wrench break in half at 75lbs. After that i said screw this and went to harbor freight tools thinking at least ill be paying less if it breaks and so far i have only has trouble with one hf tool a sawzall that burned out the motor contacts which was my fault for trying to cut something i should have used a plasma cutter for. It was replaced at no charge.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Craftsman LOL sorry, The old Craftsman's were great tools back then, todays not so much. I see guys buy cheap & replace it with cheap again. Maybe that's all they can afford, me? no way, I'll buy what I consider long lasting quality even if I have to save for it. I owned a business in custom firearm industry for over 20 yrs, you can not build super accurate rifles using cheap tools or equipment. I recently retired & sold that business to another gunshop in the Midwest. The reason why my old equipment sold fast as it did wasn't the price or the age of it, it was the quality name brand tools & equipment I used & how I took care of that equipment & tools. I looked at many 12v.\110 portable fridges before I bought my 1st one. I kept going back to Engel for several reasons, no one copies them, they are the oldest portable fridge\freezer company in existence today, they are the lowest power consumption fridge, with the lowest in repairs. This why you pay the money for an Engel.There are many good portable fridges\freezer today, SnoMaster, ARB, Dometic, National Luna fridge as a few, ask these owners why they bought these, they will give you the same answers as I, longevity of business, reliability of the product, great customer service, quality construction, low power consumption, accuracy on temperature, can handles the riggers of offroading steep angles, & jarring. Nobody wants to deal with fly by companies that make inferior products for cheap pricing with bad to no customer service. These are the real reasons why these companies do not say in business very long is the reasons why they sell cheap. There are many products on the market like solar is another & should be taken in the same consideration as buying a good quality fridge\freezer. What works for you, that great, may not be what I want.

Last edited:

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

I'm amazed at how worked up some folks are getting on the topic because I spent $60 in a risk free ebay auction that seems too good to be true.

Worse case scenario, nothing shows up and somehow Ebay and Paypal decide not to refund my $60.

Best case scenario, an actual 44qt fridge shows up and lasts me several years of occasional use.

Anywhere in between best and worst cast and I'm still not mad. I don't care if anyone wants to spend a lot on a brand name or a little on a "knock off." Matters not to me but if asked I will offer my input. Even with that input it doesn't effect me either way. Even if this "venture" of mine goes the direction of worse case I'm not sure why anyone would be mad. Consider it a lesson learned on my dime that reinforces what you believe.

ArkansasDon - Would love to hear more about your firearms business. (No sarcasm, legitimate curiosity.) I've been an "enthusiast" ever since I shot my first gun when I was 5. I own a small business with FFL and for years held an SOT with it. Haven't had much time over the last 2 years but used to do a lot of competition shooting. Now I just shoot for fun around the farm and what not. Did finally get to stretch out to a mile last summer with my Rem700 which had always been a goal of mine.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well every kit ak ive built has been with off brand tools, and both of my ars were built with no tools at all just to prove to some buddies i could. One of my hand tightened ars will pop a coyote in the head at 600+ yards all day with a chinese knockoff acog scope. Im not into spending more than needed just for a false sense of greatness. To each their own ill spend less youll spend more but we will still get the job done in the end even if i have to retun tools for damage.

1561486339229766157913.jpg

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
@Twisted, I too am guessing that nothing will show up at your house, but the numbers game is that not everyone will even remember to check if they got everything they ordered online!

But I’m adventurous and love catching a scammer in the act too. Plus plenty of things seemed too good to be true (baofeng comes to mind) and turned out to be surprisingly great. Keep us posted! :leaves to get popcorn:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Well every kit ak ive built has been with off brand tools, and both of my ars were built with no tools at all just to prove to some buddies i could. One of my hand tightened ars will pop a coyote in the head at 600+ yards all day with a chinese knockoff acog scope. Im not into spending more than needed just for a false sense of greatness. To each their own ill spend less youll spend more but we will still get the job done in the end even if i have to retun tools for damage.

View attachment 105219
their a difference in kit's & building firearms from scratch. I find popp'n a coyote in the head @ 600 is hard to believe all day who using a Chinese ACOG knock off. lol