40k buget looking to join the overland community

• HTML tutorial

Xeji

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am currently deployed in the military and will be getting home for good in May this year. I'm trying to spoil myself a little and have been researching a ton of trucks/SUV's that would get me everywhere I could dream of overlanding to. Ill have about 40k to throw at whichever car and was trying to hear some opinions on what a good "New" car would be for me. I also plan on using this as a daily driver.

A few that have caught my eye are the Chevy Colorado ZR2, Subaru Outback, and a Ford F-150

Let me know what you would do in my shoes!

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I am currently deployed in the military and will be getting home for good in May this year. I'm trying to spoil myself a little and have been researching a ton of trucks/SUV's that would get me everywhere I could dream of overlanding to. Ill have about 40k to throw at whichever car and was trying to hear some opinions on what a good "New" car would be for me. I also plan on using this as a daily driver.

A few that have caught my eye are the Chevy Colorado ZR2, Subaru Outback, and a Ford F-150

Hello and welcome to the OB crew...good luck on your choice in your adventure platform. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

Reactions: Xeji

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Don’t buy new, biggest waste of money. Get a good used rig and change things as needed. Go out and get experience, you will learn what you need the more you go out. If for some reason you don’t like the experience you would have wasted 40k.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

If I had 40 grand, I'd probably spend about 15-20K on a somewhat used, but still newish rig (prob a Toyota landcruiser or Tundra). I'd shoot for less than 10 years old, less than 100K on it. I know, my standards for "new" are probably pretty low. But honestly, I like the rigs from that year range more than I like brand new ones.

I'd spend like 3 grand on some nice-ish camping equipment, and spend like 4K to do the super basics on the rig-suspension, tires, keep stock wheels, roof rack, maybe a simple driving light, floor liners, and sliders. I'd hold off on any further big ticket mods. If you're definitely planning on being remote and off the grid for more than 4ish days at a time, maybe a fridge.
If you find you hate overlanding, or you hate at least part of this, or you hate your rig that you bought etc, you won't have wasted 40K on a built rig that you will lose a ton of money on. You can sell your rig, losing some of the money you put into upgrades, and sell your camping equipment losing probably 50%. Way less risk if you keep the initial buildup simple and straightforward.

I'd also choose to keep the sleep system simple. No rtt, teardrop, or expedition trailer. Personally I'd spend some good money on an easy to set up "swag bag" aussie style (assuming it was me doing trips on my own), but that's just me.

I'd spend the rest on the wife or give it to her to spend on the house. Or just save it for repairs and further upgrades once I had a better idea of the things that would bring the most value to my style. Honestly, what I'm laying out feels super extravagant to me, but given you have a 40K budget and are looking to treat yourself, it feels like a good middle ground to me. I've just noticed I often don't get increased value from spending more money on stuff, and especially if you are starting out from scratch, its good to start slow. You just don't know what you're going to find you hate, and what you really enjoy doing. It's easy to get starstruck with all the fancy gear and setups people have, but the truth is most setups that are getting hard use have been developed over years of trial and error. No sense in spending all the money up front before you start experimenting, finding what works and what doesn't is half the fun.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Good luck with your vehicle search, you will get lots of input and advice.

Once your back in the PNW there are several meet-ups, your local Director is @Jedi

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Welcome to the forum from West Texas. You should find plenty of enablers here to help you spend your money. :-)

Thank you for your service to our country. Much appreciated!

MarkK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Omaha, NE, USA
Member #

Welcome! I'm a ZR2 owner - you can get a lot of "bang for your buck". But they are $$$$. But whatever you chose; have fun! It's a state of mind and adventure not necessarily a gear thing. But the gear is sooo nice - it comes over time. Just don't make adventuring choices your current gear cannot back up!

I'm new to Overlanding but had a lot of experience building trucks and jeeps. Presently I'm getting one upgrade at a time for the ZR2. We want a utility trailer we can put the RTT on (mostly just so it's lower to the ground!) but are going to mount it on a truck bed rack to try it out for a while.

I also have a bias for mid-size for Overlanding/trails. And adequate but not extreme clearance or you sacrifice on-road manners and economy.

Xeji

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello and welcome to the OB crew...good luck on your choice in your adventure platform. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.
Welcome! I'm a ZR2 owner - you can get a lot of "bang for your buck". But they are $$$$. But whatever you chose; have fun! It's a state of mind and adventure not necessarily a gear thing. But the gear is sooo nice - it comes over time. Just don't make adventuring choices your current gear cannot back up!

I'm new to Overlanding but had a lot of experience building trucks and jeeps. Presently I'm getting one upgrade at a time for the ZR2. We want a utility trailer we can put the RTT on (mostly just so it's lower to the ground!) but are going to mount it on a truck bed rack to try it out for a while.

I also have a bias for mid-size for Overlanding/trails. And adequate but not extreme clearance or you sacrifice on-road manners and economy.
This is the truck I have had my eyes on for the past year. Im really considering just going for it because I want something for the long term 5+ years. How reliable is it? I hear good things about Toyota and that is the only reason I have considered the Tacoma.

Reactions: Chadlyb

MarkK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Omaha, NE, USA
Member #

This is the truck I have had my eyes on for the past year. Im really considering just going for it because I want something for the long term 5+ years. How reliable is it? I hear good things about Toyota and that is the only reason I have considered the Tacoma.
Toyota has a well earned reputation that's for sure. I owned an original 4 Runner back in the day - it was a tank. I still think the 24re was one of the best and most reliable engines ever built. It ran circles around my wife's 6 cylinder (also in a 4 Runner).

I landed on the ZR2 because:

1) I'm a bit of a diesel freak. I used to compete with my diesel sled puller.
2) Toyota needs to loose the drum brakes.
3) Fully adjustable electronic seats (heated) for driver and passenger.
4) Fully locking front and rear diffs in a factory truck - and it's 2" taller then a non-ZR2. Basically a factory backed lift.

Maybe 2 and 3 could be resolved with a 4 Runner? I wanted to stay with a truck bed.

No resolution for the Diesel since at the moment the only Diesel mid size truck in the USA is the Colorado. So far so good on the reliability front. The Diesel is derived from an engine used overseas for quite a while and has a solid reputation.

I could make a list in favor of a Tacoma - definitely a fan. The biggest plus for the Tacoma is the absolutely massive aftermarket.

Keep up the research and pick what works for you! It's a fun process.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Don’t rush into it, not many decisions are made well from rushing. Do some reading, join a few forums and learn. Learning is much cheaper then making a costly mistake and will have a lot less to regret. Learn about different 4x4 setups, what they let you do and what limits they have. Just because it says it’s a 4x4 does not mean you won’t get stuck in a few inches of mud or snow.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI

Hey @Xeji welcome to Overland Bound! I'm guessing by "home for good" you are ETSing. Let me just say, thank you for your service. As @Kent R mentioned, there is a lot going on in the PNW. Unfortunately, you just missed the January meetup (last Saturday), but there will be more coming along soon. I recommend checking out the Overland Bound NorthWest Region forum [link] for meetups and to get to know your “neighbors”.

Depending on where in Seattle you are located, you might want to take a look at the South Puget Sound group [link]. Events are also posted on the Rally Point system [link], so you might want to check that out as well.

As for what to get, I would recommend testing out a couple of different vehicles and find what fits you best. The Overland Bound motto of "It doesn't matter what you drive" is proven day-in and day-out here, as members with just about every vehicle imaginable (and some I would never think of) are outfitted to explore and adventure. Find the rig that speaks to you, and you will enjoy every bolt you turn and every mile you trek. As for myself, I am a Jeep person. No matter how loud, clunky, wobbly, and inefficient my JKU is, I love every inch of it.

I look forward to seeing you out there! If you need anything, feel free to hit me up on the forums: @Jedi.

OhioJeff

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron,Ohio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8LJW
Like others have said, buy a nice solid used vehicle, taco, 4Runner, land cruiser. If you go with a Jeep, probably end up with a trailer, and those are really expensive. Over landing doesn’t take a fancy rig or expensive gear, try not to get distracted by all the noise about the latest stuff and just get out there and start exploring. Good luck!

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

First you need to decide what kind over overlanding you want to do - technical trails? Remote camping? Long term or extended living? Parking lot camping during meet ups and coffee?

Then decide on what kind of vehicle fits your needs – full size pick up, midsize SUV, etc.

Then decide how much money you actually want to spend on the tangible (vehicle, gear, etc.), how much on the necessities (food, water, gas/diesel).

You can buy something from the 70s-90s that would be easy to work on, reliable, and extremely capable for less than $15k-$20k. You can build something more comfortable from the early 2010's for $35k, or you can buy something new(ish) for $40k and have nothing left to adventure with.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Low vehicle price, many money spent on mods... You will spend a lot of money on mods anyway ... Because you want it more than you really need it
A jeep wj is a nice cheap base to start with. I own a jku and I'm happy enough space for two people.
All I can say is go slow don't rush it. Find something that you really like and drive it.