3 Reasons to ‘Pack 3 Cases’ for Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Al_Maryland

Rank 0

Contributor II

Hi Michael, do you have the file of the forms that are in the second photo? Look very cool and well set out.
I have a similar checklist in PDF format. You can print it out on the same brown looking parchment paper that you can purchase at any office supply store. I printed it on some of this paper in heavier card stock for durability.

Attachments

Last edited:

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

This is such a great idea and it works out great for me!!! I have the same Plano cases and so far they work well! Thanks for the tips!

Dunkel

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Salt Lake City UT
Member #

Curious if the community has anyone who's done a year on the road. Especially curious about packing for a year in terms of clothing for different climates like Baja California to the Brooks Range in Alaska?

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

Plano makes great trunks. I have two of their marine series which has the rubber seal lids, makes it waterproof, dust proof, snow, what have you. Awesome read, thank you OB.

emonomics

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, CA, USA
First Name
Emerson
Last Name
L
Member #

Great read. But, must say part of getting out is also doing what you want/like, not subsisting. Good to bring tuna and cucumbers to survive...but cooking roasts and potatoes and marshmallows...well, to me that's part of the experience!

Reactions: Sparksalot

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

Wow I love this! Thanks for writing it up! I did an 8 day expedition this year and learned quite a bit about what we could do better on packing or not packing.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

Wow I love this! Thanks for writing it up! I did an 8 day expedition this year and learned quite a bit about what we could do better on packing or not packing.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

RedClay

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Townsend, Georgia, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Mahaffey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWH971
Thanks for the push to simplify. I'm of the camp of 'minimize what you don't need so that you can have more of what you really want." I'm a long-time backpacker, and went from 'carry everything sherpa like' to 'ultra-light is right'. At one point I geeked out and packed food purely based on calories provided per gram! Over time I realized that a little of both is the smart answer, as I could carry a treat or two if I gave up on the extra set of clothing that I never put on. So that would be my advice...use each trip to figure out what gave you joy and what was a waste. Leave the wasted stuff home next time and pack for more joy.

BiggB74

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Some of the best memories I have growing up in the outdoors is potted meat a pack of peanut butter nabs and a cold coke in the can. of course if we caught some fish it got cooked too. Don't need all the frills to have fun. Great post OB.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We run two cases plus our plug in Coleman cooler. Can't leave the cooler plugged in when the rig is off but ice packs in there fix that. It keeps drinks so cold they get slushy. We keep our kitchen in one case and camping needs in the other.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have 4 of the smaller Plano containers currently in my setup and have a larger one I'm going to look at incorporating in my setup. I went with the small containers because they fit nicely in the first section of my truck rack under the RTT. I think #3 "Learn By Doing" is the best advice. I went camping this past weekend with my two boys and only you can learn by doing figure out what you need to bring. Everyone's list will be different just based on their food preferences.

RTT Rack Storage.jpg