Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I use a jack as a winch.

I love the ''all we had back in the day was 2wd's'' argument. That's why you walked uphill in the snow both ways grandpa. Been there, done that. We're wheeling deeper, more often, self sufficiently, with more weight than ever before.

When I'm the only person that's going to lift a hand to get my truck unstuck, I'll never touch a 4wd without at least one locker ever again. Too many weird things are happening to the easiest roads and trails.

Reactions: Daryl 32

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I love the ''all we had back in the day was 2wd's'' argument. That's why you walked uphill in the snow both ways grandpa. Been there, done that. We're wheeling deeper, more often, self sufficiently, with more weight than ever before.

When I'm the only person that's going to lift a hand to get my truck unstuck, I'll never touch a 4wd without at least one locker ever again. Too many weird things are happening to the easiest roads and trails.
There was a time when I could not afford a 4X4. It’s not about shaking a cane and screaming “back in my day.” It’s about making due with what you can afford. I agree, having a locker is a HUGE advantage but the simple fact is that not everyone will have them. I’m not here to shame anyone for what they drive.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I did quite a bit of trail work in my 2wd 1964 F250. It was on 33x12.5x15 A/Ts and had a factory Spicer "Power Lok" differential (basically a limited slip that would very nearly fully lock up). It did great honestly. Its all about being honest with yourself and your rig, being careful, and realizing that when a wheel starts to spin feathering the throttle can get you out of a lot where as flooring it will often make things worse.
I would say get yourself some mellow mud terrain or really aggressive all terrain tires and just go play around, if need be get a rear locker. If you have a local off road vehicle park I would go there to test the rig and yourself. I say that because typically theres a lot of varied terrain to experiment on and typically there will be someone willing to pull you out or spot you should you need help. Also being close to home should it all go wrong while testing the waters is nice.

S

softroad.406

For fireroads and light trails, do I really need lsd or an air locker? I have seen the old pull the handbrake thing, but a locker would be nice they are quite expensive(almost more than my suv itself). I will probably hold-off until I upgrade to a 4x4 down the road.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
For fire roads I would say with 90% certainty you will not need a locker. When things get weird is once you drop off the more traveled trails. I will say this though, keeping an ear to the weather radio stations and just watching weather will be a needed skill too. Like @MidOH said weird stuff happens to the easiest trails that can make them very challenging so reading the weather will be important.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I've been to a lot of places in rwd.
But I think my tires help greatly, also pick good lines. I have the bfg km3 in 285 70 17.

I have 4x4, front and rear lockers, but only use 4x4 for deep soft sand, deep mud, and steep hills.

Reactions: softroad.406

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I had a Detroit locker put in our 99 F250 7.3 auto transmission.

Truck was at about 8,400 lbs with extra gear and supplies on our last family trip through Baja. We drove about 400 miles off road.

For the first part of the trip my wife's brother and wife were along with their 2wd VW Vanagon. They got stuck in the sand on one of the beaches, got pulled free and drove off.

We got stuck on the beaches a couple of times, got out once using treds. The other time got out with some shovel work before starting up.

So overlanding can be done in 2wd's, it has been done since the first cars were driven out west. You just need to start out easy and learn your rigs limits, best not to do it alone.

In this shoot the truck was stuck in the sand were I shoveled the sand away from in front of the four tires and drove away.

I would suggest a rear locker, air compressor, lift and some AT tires. Airing down is a great help even in a 4wd.

2nd night camp site 5.jpg

For your encouragement.

f250 down hill.jpg

driving 2.jpg

Baja 0056.jpg

Baja 0209.jpg

Last edited:

dirtnsmores

Rank II

Enthusiast III

southern california
First Name
Mike
Last Name
M
Lots of good info in this thread! Recovery gear and tires are hugely important. Thinking about adding a Detroit truetrac limited slip to my truck instead of a locker. Thoughts?