Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Please feel free to ask any questions regarding this trip. I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

WU7X

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WU7X
Dang! I have always wantedd to explore the Owyhee area. Did a geolgy project around Jordon Valley many, many years ago. Wanted to head east and check out the area around the river ever since. It's my birthday (74th) on May 31st, and my son and his wife just moved back to Spokane after 25 years. We've promised to be with them that weekend.

If you will be headed to the Overland Rally in Plain, WA, or up in Merritt, BC, we will be at both. Hope to run into some OB folks there.

Have fun and post some pics!

Dale, the old fart

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thinking about coming over from the west side of Oregon. Do you know where you will be camping at the lake?
Wed love to have you Larry! I don't think I've seen you since that first trip I did with George when we crossed the Alvord after it rained.

The gpx file is attached to the rally point, but I have a shared Gaia folder I'll link below. I don't have any routes from the west side of Oregon planned, so you'll have to come all the way to Ontario to get on the main dirt road.

Reactions: KAIONE and Ubiety

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Gaia web site is feeling cranky and won't display entire the route :( I finally tired of gaia and am loving my new onX subscription. ;)
It's working here when loaded via an in private tab. The light purple line leading out of Caldwell is the old route. I realized that the trailer needs new tires before attempting the "fun" route, so we're taking the main road all the way in.

You're not going anyways, so why are you giving me a hard time? :blush:

• Haha
Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
It's working here when loaded via an in private tab. The light purple line leading out of Caldwell is the old route. I realized that the trailer needs new tires before attempting the "fun" route, so we're taking the main road all the way in.

You're not going anyways, so why are you giving me a hard time? :blush:
Because I love SE OR and want to see where you are going! And because "give Reaver a hard time" is one of my life goals ;) Hahahahaha. Hope you all have a great time!
Gaia did work for me on a subsequent refresh.

• Haha
Reactions: M Rose and reaver

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
Thinking about coming over from the west side of Oregon. Do you know where you will be camping at the lake?
Larry,
We will be camping at the southern most point of the lake. @reaver should be posting a GPX file with the location(s)...

1652821019001.png

Last edited:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
C U there!
Hooray!! Will you be meeting us at the camp site later in the day? Or can we expect you to meet us friday morning, and roll out with us? The reason I posted the camp destination is so that people can make their own way there if they decide to join us. :D

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
What's everyone's comms situation? I can monitor ham, but cannot transmit. Our primary means of communication will be gmrs.

I don't have one yet, but if somebody has a portablefire ring, please let me know.

Weather is currently looking great, with a slight chance of rain Friday, and mostly sunny and 70s Saturday through Monday. Nighttime Temps look to be around 50.

C U there!
I forgot to ask, do you plan on meeting us at camp, are do you plan on meeting us at our departure point in Caldwell?

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
My wife and I are planning on coming. Will be staying Ontario Thursday night and would prefer to wait for you in Vale at 43.98265, -117.24865. That way I do not have to backtrack. Let me know if this will work for the group.

We can bring our collapsible fire pit and have HAM CB and GMRS radios as well as cell phones.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My wife and I are planning on coming. Will be staying Ontario Thursday night and would prefer to wait for you in Vale at 43.98265, -117.24865. That way I do not have to backtrack. Let me know if this will work for the group.

We can bring our collapsible fire pit and have HAM CB and GMRS radios as well as cell phones.
Are you bringing HF or VHF/UHF?