Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks! There are some pictures above of the bins on the side and here are some of what the inside looks like. I will get some better shots or a video if you'd like. Ultimately they aren't to deep to be obnoxious and you can still see out the back window.

A couple of additions I didn't update this thread on but you can see the table in the top of the Smart cap it is very nice thing to have and out of the way for such a big table. Also my favorite part by far is the fact that the whole thing is metal so I can use a ton of magnets to get stuff up and out of the way but still accessible. Those MaxTrax are mounted with magnets! No drilling and allows me to be totally modular.

View attachment 198680
View attachment 198681

View attachment 198682
Wow that's very cool. I like that. Something to consider for next time.

SCPW

Rank I

Contributor III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Caddell
Love the build. I am considering the RSI cap for my 2019 Power Wagon. Can you describe or post a picture of the angle of the cap from the bedrail up as compared to the angle of the cab? The way the front of the RSI cap angles in right before the cab creates an optical illusion or something. I just want to know how closely it follows the lines of the cab. Very much appreciate your posts, as this is generally what I am planning to do as well.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Thanks for the kind words! I tried to take it from many angles to give you a better look. I too was skeptical of the lines right at the cab of the truck from pictures but it looks way more pronounced in the pictures than it does in real life. Once I saw it in person I was sold so I recommend you do the same if you can if you have doubts.

IMG_5583.jpeg
IMG_5584.jpeg
IMG_5586.jpeg
IMG_5587.jpeg

Trucks a little dirty... and not the good kind of dirty... the lazy kind :) Hope that helps

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Also why I am at it I figured I would show you the GMRS install. I've seen some other builds where people struggle with where to put the radio in these due to the lack of flat dash space or places to mount it. I wasn't happy really with anything that I saw and most just shoved it up in the cubby hole underneath the stereo. Well In keeping with my modular approach I didn't really want the radio exposed all the time since I really only use it when on trips with friends. So I had a Midland MXT275 which has a handy feature to have the handset work as the speaker in addition to the base, all the controls are on the handset. So I found that super helpful and was able to tuck the base unit in the storage under the middle seat. Didn't have to drill anything and it gives it a nice clean look when not in use and functional when in use.

IMG_5557.jpeg
IMG_5560.jpeg

SCPW

Rank I

Contributor III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Caddell
Thanks for the great pics! It looks like it matches up with the angle of the cab pretty well - maybe slightly more angled in, but very close. It also doesn't look much taller than the cab. Really helpful!

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Thanks for the great pics! It looks like it matches up with the angle of the cab pretty well - maybe slightly more angled in, but very close. It also doesn't look much taller than the cab. Really helpful!
glad it helps yeah it’s maybe a half inch taller than the cab at their peaks.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Ok it's been a bit but I wanted to update with a few things:

1. Air Bags - I got the Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Plus (who that's a mouthful) installed before hauling the trailer and a ton of gear back to Colorado for a few weeks and man does that make a difference on the road. Prior the the air bags being on there the truck would literally rock back and forth like a boat at weight capacity going anything over 65. It scared the crap out of my family and now it's perfect. Just pump the bags up and it rides extremely comfortably with all that weight. I did get the daystar cradles and took it to do some light off roading and with the air out of the bags I couldn't tell the difference in articulation or ride from before so I think it's going to be a win/win
  2. Thuren track bar - I got this installed to help with the above too so I think the combo of these two really increases the road manners but at least to me seems to have a negligible effect off road so I highly recommend both if you're going to be hauling some stuff, which most of us overland types do.
  3. Icky Concepts Panel (pictured below) - I think he may have got his start on this forum or not but have been following his progress getting his company off the ground and super supportive of him trying to make more full size goodies. Installed the panel on the front of the bed and love how it holds all of my larger recovery stuff that I don't access a ton. Great product American made what more can I say.
  4. Mountain Hatch - I just like a flat work surface. I don't know about it being food grade and all of that cause my tailgate is pretty dirty to eat off of but I do like using it for a work bench both at home and away from home and a flat surface is much better for that. So far pretty happy with it.

Pictures for fun:
IMG_5760.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg
ROD_5104.jpeg

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Nice build so far! I'm actually in the research phase of replacing my Jeep Gladiator with a Power Wagon. The RSI SmartCap was on my possible list of mods for the Gladiator, so it is good to see that they have one for the PW as well. It is also good to know that it will not work with the Ram Boxes, which I was thinking about getting. How much room do you have from the bottom of the RSI shelf to the bed of the truck? I'd like to know if I could also mount my slider/fridge combo in the same spot as yours if I do this build.

Reactions: Neuvik

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Hey thanks!

It is about 22.5" from the top of the groove on the bed to the bottom of the tray. The tray also sticks into the bed about 11" from the bedrail.

I have a ARB Elements fridge and it fits under there, you can't open it all the way when it is slid back in there but you can just enough to grab something you know is there near the front... I keep things like water towards the front so I don't have to roll it all out.

Bonus picture I thought was cool from this last weekend:
ROD_5125.jpg

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks for the info. My fridge/slider combo is just under 20", so that is plenty of clearance.

Nice pic of the truck and Milky Way... I do a lot of those as well!

Reactions: Roloc

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

What is your mpg with and without the trailer? I take about a 6 mpg hit when I hook up my trailer to the Gladiator.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I get around 12mpg with the trailer and 14-15 if I am just cruising down the highway in flat ass Texas.

Overland4Heroes

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, TX, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Sweet build Roloc! I really like your GMRS Radio install location, unfortunately mine did not come with that storage feature so I had to get crafty on the install location. I also like that the Power Wagons come with the "Manual" Transfer Case Shifter, always felt better actually shifting the truck into 4wd. Let me know if you ever figure out the 2nd battery install, would love to see what direction you take if installing one under the hood.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks. A co-worker of mine says he normally gets 12 here in Colorado Springs, but he is on 37s. If I make the switch to the PW, I'd be happy with 14s daily and anything above 10 with my OGT trailer.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Thanks. A co-worker of mine says he normally gets 12 here in Colorado Springs, but he is on 37s. If I make the switch to the PW, I'd be happy with 14s daily and anything above 10 with my OGT trailer.
Yeah if your trailer lines up with the truck that helps a ton with drag too, mine tucks in there pretty nicely so not a ton of additional drag than what the truck has.

But of course you'll start looking at these Power Wagon threads and you'll want 37s and you'll rip the plastic cowling under the bumper off and run with your tire pressure at 40 instead of the recommended 60 front and 65 back (yeah I know it's insane...) all that just whittles down that MPGs.

I try to keep all of that in mind when making mods because fact of the matter is now that I am in Austin (I moved from COS last year btw) I have to drive 3-18 hours on a highway to get to most places I want to go and get off road. So road comfort and MPG have to play a part still.

Reactions: Neuvik

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I did the whole 37s thing on my JKUR when I was rock crawling. On my JT, I've stuck with 35s since that is the largest tire I can fit on my trailer. I'll do the same if I get the PW. I want the truck and trailer spares to be interchangeable. Exterior mods would only be the RSI cap and some rocksliders/steps. Maybe a roof rack if I want it to look cooler... which lets face it, is a thing. lol

Last edited:

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Oh, and road comfort and MPG do matter to me as well. I've got a 30 day trip to the artic ocean planned for next year. That's a lot of miles and seat time.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Oh, and road comfort and MPG do matter to me as well. I've got a 30 day trip to the artic ocean planned for next year. That's a lot of miles and seat time.
For sure! And yeah looking cool of course is a thing, I don't take those shots of my truck for nothing!

One thing to note that caught me off guard was the bolt pattern on my trailer. I couldn't get the PW bolt pattern 8x6.5 on my axels on my trailer, so the tires are interchangeable but the wheels are not unfortunately. Maybe you're is the same. I think there may be adapters but those things scare me.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I have to use adapters between my Jeep and the trailer, but I can replace the hubs on my trailer to match the PW's (I need to verify that, but I believe I'm reading it all correctly).

This whole thing might be just a mental exercise however, due to the vehicle shortage going on right now :(

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I have to use adapters between my Jeep and the trailer, but I can replace the hubs on my trailer to match the PW's (I need to verify that, but I believe I'm reading it all correctly).

This whole thing might be just a mental exercise however, due to the vehicle shortage going on right now :(
Hey certainly fun to talk about regardless! Let me know if I can help! Love the power wagon and happy to recruit folks to the club.

Reactions: WilC