• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Soooooooooooooo I had 2 weeks till my 35th birthday and I decided to pretty much change the way my Work/Life balance was going and pulled the trigger on enjoying life and start exploring!

So I went out, traded my Audi S4 for a new 2019 Silverado Trail Boss CrewCab so I had a good starting point. (I went with the Chevy cause I wanted to start a build that would force me to become creative when getting parts and custom work)

First thing I knew I had to have first... Bed Rack. It was at that point I realized..... this whole getting creative with finding parts was really going to be a huge factor. With little time in my 2 week deadline, I went with the KBvoodoo (Max Modular) bed rack.. The guys over their were amazing with getting this over to me super quick!

Then of course the essentials.. Rotopax 4 Gallon Gas can/2 Gallon Water/2 Gallon Service pack. Axe, Shovel, Traction Boards and every essential piece of camping equipment down to the utensils! And then after realizing I had blown through my budget and only after then did I go... Damn... I cant afford the Roof Top Top now....... Ground tent it was!

Overall after I hit the road and drove 800 miles to the middle of a Michigan State Park to spend my 35th off the grid and under the stars, it was all so worth it.
But for real I need to get a Roof Top Tent.

Future Add Ons for the build are as follows:
-Decked Trcuk Bed Drawer System
-FabTech 4" Lift (On Top of the 2" Factory)
-35" Nitto Mud Grabber Tires
-Yakima HD 3 RTT
-Addictive Desert Stealth Front Bumper
-Goal Zero 400 W/Boulder 100 Solar Panal Kit (MORE POWER!)
-Matte Black Wrap Full Body (Need to protect that fresh paint)
file-13.jpegfile-14.jpegfile-15.jpegfile-13.jpegfile-14.jpegfile-15.jpeg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Nice. Just keep in mind that wraps have to come off. On too long, they'll take the paint, or at least require a sand blaster for removal. Not really my experience though. Mine all came off fine in 5 years.

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Nice. Just keep in mind that wraps have to come off. On too long, they'll take the paint, or at least require a sand blaster for removal. Not really my experience though. Mine all came off fine in 5 years.
Thank you! And for sure I know, I wrapped my Audi every 6 months. Mainly cause I can’t stay with one color for to long lol.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Great looking rig. I've got a 2017 Silverado Crew Cab with a leveling kit, KB VooDoo rack, Hi Vis Overland RTT, 275/75/18 BFGoodrich KO2's and a Decked drawer system. I'm currently looking at options for sliders.

For the KB VooDoo rack, did you end up having to drill at all? I ran into an issue having a short bed that i could only have 2 of the no drill caps actually used, the other side by the tailgate went too long and we had to drill to install

Reactions: RoarinRow

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Great looking rig. I've got a 2017 Silverado Crew Cab with a leveling kit, KB VooDoo rack, Hi Vis Overland RTT, 275/75/18 BFGoodrich KO2's and a Decked drawer system. I'm currently looking at options for sliders.

For the KB VooDoo rack, did you end up having to drill at all? I ran into an issue having a short bed that i could only have 2 of the no drill caps actually used, the other side by the tailgate went too long and we had to drill to install
Hey Man, Sounds like we have pretty similar taste haha. So I ordered the Full Size Truck option Rack and it was 48" long. It literally fits right snug in the middle of the Bed, any longer and the C-Clips wouldn't work. I thought at first I would want it closer to the cab but now I wouldn't want it any other way since I have no clearance issues with anything I put on top. I did however find the manufacture that KbVooDoo uses for the Aluminium Cross bars and paid $80 for a piar of 52" long bars cause the ones that come with the rack are only long enough to hit 2 out of 3 bolt holes connecting to the shackles. If you have the same problem I can send you the link to the bars I got from the manufacture.

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Hey Man, Sounds like we have pretty similar taste haha. So I ordered the Full Size Truck option Rack and it was 48" long. It literally fits right snug in the middle of the Bed, any longer and the C-Clips wouldn't work. I thought at first I would want it closer to the cab but now I wouldn't want it any other way since I have no clearance issues with anything I put on top. I did however find the manufacture that KbVooDoo uses for the Aluminium Cross bars and paid $80 for a piar of 52" long bars cause the ones that come with the rack are only long enough to hit 2 out of 3 bolt holes connecting to the shackles. If you have the same problem I can send you the link to the bars I got from the manufacture.
Ahh...i did the 58" long bed rack...

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I'm looking for sliders now...hard to find for a Crew Cab Silverado
You can look at the Chassis Unlimited universal kits. Just figure out what length you need. Any good welder can put them together for you then you can paint them yourself or powder coat. A lot of the 2nd Gen Colorado/Canyon folks did that before other brands became available. Just avoid anything that bolts to the body...

Reactions: RoarinRow

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Did you mount the 295/70R18 Tires yet? I looked up the equivalent size, and they appear to be 34.3" sized tires. Did you install the Fabtech 4" lift before installing these tires? I'm curious to see how this plays out with these tires, on what wheels with what backspacking, etc.
I've got a '17 Silverado that I'm working on, that maybe, one day, can be as cool as yours.

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Did you mount the 295/70R18 Tires yet? I looked up the equivalent size, and they appear to be 34.3" sized tires. Did you install the Fabtech 4" lift before installing these tires? I'm curious to see how this plays out with these tires, on what wheels with what backspacking, etc.
I've got a '17 Silverado that I'm working on, that maybe, one day, can be as cool as yours.
Yes I got them put on. They are 295/70/18 so yup 34.3". I have the Trail Boss so it comes with a Factory 2" Level Lift on Top of the Z71 Suspension. I did have to throw some 1.25" spacers on all four to clear any rubbing issues but they look and perform great! No rubbing and min poke out (I think it has a better look like that anyways)
Side1.jpgSide2.jpg

Side3.jpgSpacer1.jpg

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

ohhh, ok, i see what you did. When you said spacers, your talking Wheel spacers that push out the factory wheels 1.25".
I suppose the factory BS (back space) on your truck is 24mm or (5.5"), at least on my '17 these are the measurements.
So, 18" wheels, with a stock BS of 24mm (5.5"), with a guess of a width of 8.5" width (stock wheels), and then add the 1.25" wheel spacers (31.75mm), would put your current BS at (24mm - 31.75mm = -7.75mm OR roughly 4.4" BS).

So, with a -7mm offset, no rubbing on the fender near the foot-well?

I'm currently running Method Race Wheels MR310 CON6 17x8.5 with 0mm BS (4.75"), with 33" tires.

Here is a little chart I put together to help understand back spacing and offset with wheels and their different wheel widths:

I also have a small level of 2.25", which has worked very well with my setup.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Its all good, just push it closer to the cab and use some squish nuts and bolt those two point. You can still use the C-Clamp's on the other Two points. Honestly I wish I had a bit longer rack, that way I could utilize the mounting mounts better for more gear.
Yea mine is already mounted. Did it about 6 weeks ago. We pushed the c-clips as far towards the cab as we could...still had to drill near the tailgate. But either way I love the rack and the look of it

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

ohhh, ok, i see what you did. When you said spacers, your talking Wheel spacers that push out the factory wheels 1.25".
I suppose the factory BS (back space) on your truck is 24mm or (5.5"), at least on my '17 these are the measurements.
So, 18" wheels, with a stock BS of 24mm (5.5"), with a guess of a width of 8.5" width (stock wheels), and then add the 1.25" wheel spacers (31.75mm), would put your current BS at (24mm - 31.75mm = -7.75mm OR roughly 4.4" BS).

I'm currently running Method Race Wheels MR310 CON6 17x8.5 with 0mm BS (4.75"), with 33" tires.

Here is a little chart I put together to help understand back spacing and offset with wheels and their different wheel widths:

Us Silverado owners need to stick together hahaha, there's so few of us

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Your pretty much right on the button. I believe my Stock Wheels are 18x8.5 and BS is +34 though. The new Brake calipers on the re-design have a small bump out for reasons I do not know so they had to put a more positive BS on the stock wheels.

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Us Silverado owners need to stick together hahaha, there's so few of us
Hahahaha For real though! I knew when I went down the path of the Silverado for Overlanding, I was going to run into a smaller bucket of options for it, but damn! I need to customize everything or get universal parts. Its rough. I see why we are so few lol.