Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Inexpensive = free, yeah I hear ya.
I saw in one of your pics you have a, "other half", a.k.a as "the boss", or "ball n chain", or "task master".
Does she have input into how much of the money tree goes into the parts?

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Inexpensive = free, yeah I hear ya.
I saw in one of your pics you have a, "other half", a.k.a as "the boss", or "ball n chain", or "task master".
Does she have input into how much of the money tree goes into the parts?
lol yes I have my girlfriend making sure I don’t go to crazy to fast when getting parts. But she enjoys getting out there as much me so she doesn’t hold it against me to much.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Soooooooo Clean! I love it man. I'm dying to pick up an RTT though! I just cant find the holy grail of inexpensive (like free lol) and Great Quality!

But for real definitely love the rig man.
Thanks man. I was skeptical on the white in the beginning but its really growing on me. A great RTT company is Hi Vis Overland out of South Carolina. Great prices, and the owner is awesome. He'll answer any question you have. Also, the prices are very competitive to all the other vendors out there

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

ahhhh I see.
Girlfriend equates to plastic zip tie strength of the relationship.
Wife equates to steel handcuff strength of the relationship.
Well, glad to see she is onboard with getting out there and enjoying the back roads of life.
I once took my wife and her dog on an overnight trip, just to watch the sunset. We slept in the back of an open bed Toyota truck.
Of course.... the weather had to turn sour on us, and the wind kicked up late at night. My wife stated she froze her butt off, and her dog was the only thing keeping her warm throughout the night.
She had the zipper side of our oversized sleeping bag.....
me, I slept great.
We've since done quite a few more trips, but she is of the mind set that she prefers an RV..... soft life.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Thanks man. I was skeptical on the white in the beginning but its really growing on me. A great RTT company is Hi Vis Overland out of South Carolina. Great prices, and the owner is awesome. He'll answer any question you have. Also, the prices are very competitive to all the other vendors out there
I was literally going back and forth with the Black Trail Boss and a White one so the white for sure looks great!. And I haven't heard of Hi Vis so I'm definitely going to take a look,, thanks man.

Reactions: JButtress

yourky

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ontario, Ca
First Name
Alexandre
Last Name
Boucher
Looking to buy a 2020 Trail Boss.. I was looking for a Tacoma TRD Pro at first, but for the same price I could get a full size truck.. Just not sure if the Chevy would be as reliable ? Any thoughts about this ? And you'd go with the Custom Trail Boss or the LT Trail Boss ?

Cheers !

Ray O

Rank VI

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Oyarzun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NQE
I’ve had my trail boss LT since 2019 and it’s been extremely reliable, I can’t say for the custom but the led all around lights are great, the tires are descent and the 18“ rims are great. It was not as easy to find aftermarket parts but as of today there are lots more options, if you want a full size rig the trail boss it’s a great option.

yourky

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ontario, Ca
First Name
Alexandre
Last Name
Boucher
I’ve had my trail boss LT since 2019 and it’s been extremely reliable, I can’t say for the custom but the led all around lights are great, the tires are descent and the 18“ rims are great. It was not as easy to find aftermarket parts but as of today there are lots more options, if you want a full size rig the trail boss it’s a great option.
Nice truck ! I love the army green tacoma, I've been looking to buy one since last year, but what stops me every time is that I'm afraid to find it too small.. Yes I want an off-road capable truck, but in the same time, it's gonna be my daily ride.. And I'm doing about 2000 km a month.. I kinda want something comfortable and have some space in it..

And that's without mentioning that if I would go for a Tacoma TRD Pro, it would cost me pretty much the same price than for a LT Trail Boss, but having a much smaller truck.. Got a Kia Rio right now and the Taco seems to be my car with an addition of a box..

I'm just concerned about the reliability of chevrolet, considering I'm planning to keep the truck 10 years/ 350 000km.. And about the resale value in 10 years from now..

It's so hard to choose a truck !

Ray O

Rank VI

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Oyarzun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NQE
I know what you mean, I've owned an older Toyota pick up and I liked it, but just like you my Trail boss is my daily ride, it replaced my 2004 Silverado which my son is driving now. if you need room the trail boss should give you plenty and they've always been reliable for me. Its all about the Maintanance. for me it was a no brainer I have my family and we travel a lot together and there is plenty of room on the trail boss and its the opposite on the tacoma, having Said that for small narrow trails the tacoma might be better choice. Another option is the Chevy Colorado but is almost as small as the tacoma

ccgrunt0331

Rank 0

Contributor I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Nye
Hey guys, watching with interest! I also have a 2019 trail boss, bone stock for now, but planning on convincing the mrs to take it to Montana next spring. Hey Trail, any chance you have pics of before and after the new tires from same angle? I can’t believe 34s fit so cleanly!

troywhittaker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Alto, MI, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Whittaker
Member #

I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 LT (not the Trail Boss), which I got to embark on my full-size build. This seems like as good a thread as any to contribute some learnings?

• I made a fatal mistake in the LT trim. This specific trim level uses a composite layer in the rear leaf springs that will not support any of the GM lift kits. Had I known this up front, I would have gone with the Trail Boss trim. If I want to lift, I have to go aftermarket and of course accept the risk to warranty.
  • The front brakes have a well-known (at this point) 'bump' that will really reduce your aftermarket wheel options
  • Although these trucks in most trim levels can come with 18" or 20" wheels, if you change from one to the other you will need a relatively expensive reprogramming at a dealer for speedo (not sure if they will do this either?)
  • Reliability has been outstanding - no issues other than a few minor recalls. Probably the best drivetrain I've owned to date (5.3L EcoTec w/ DFM + 8 speed auto)
  • Frame and bumper rust has appeared after only a few months, I think this will be an issue as I use it in more trips off-road
  • Full-size truck camping and adventure travel has been REALLY enjoyable. Coming from a JKU, I was accustomed to cramming stuff in and around people and being very uncomfortable. We took a trip to a cabin last week, and everything fit in the trunk bed and the full cab was available to spread out.
  • Currently wondering if I really want to invest in a RTT, or keep my cargo and bike racks on the cover and just sleep in the back (it's roomy!)

Would love to see more picks of 2019/2020 Silverado's for inspiration!

Ray O

Rank VI

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Oyarzun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NQE
I’m still building it, I got a rtt just a simple smithy built, on an Rci 18” bed rack some roto pax and treads and a roll up Bed Tonneau cover “BAK Revolver“, also installed under the bed an arb dual compressor., just received my dometic ref/freezer to be installed once the slide base comes in.

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Hey everyone! sorry I haven't replied on this thread in a while, life and work especially with everything that has gone down in 2020 has had me sidetracked in my build.
BUT I did get out over the weekend and get some camping done...... Immediately after we got back... I tore my whole setup down and now planning a complete overhaul.
My whole setup just ended up causing more issues and kind of killed the mood of being out and trying to enjoy the getaway.
That being said... I ended up ordering the following:

Victory 4x4 18" Modular Full Size Bed Rack Tundra Bed Rack Modular Base | Full-Size Truck Bed Rack - Victory 4x4
(The Max Modular Rack was great for what it was but I made the mistake of ordering the 48” long and in the end it was to short and honestly gave a funny look since it was tiny looking and to low to pop the windows since the back of the cab was in the way) If you know anyone in the Chicago land area looking for a Max Modular bed rack 48” long 14” Tall for Full size or Mid size (I ordered both size aluminum bars) Im giving it away free of charge! Also comes with Awning brackets.

Installed a ReadyLift 2.0 SST Lift Kit AT4/Trail Boss Plus 2.0 (Mainly after adding the 295/70/18 NEXEN MTX I was getting some rub at full turn and this solved and made the stance just perfect!)

Also Order a Road Armor Spartan Front bumper Search results for: ''
But that was back on April 11th and yet to get a straight answer on when that will actually show up… Not to thrilled with there customer service.

And sprung for the DECKED truck bed storage DECKED® Pickup Truck Bed Tool Boxes and Bed Organizer | DECKED Cause the craftsman bins just to much of a pain in the ass.

Anyways soooo soooo much to come.

Pics from the last trip attached. Will throw up a new one today of the Trail Boss with the Readylift SST on but all the gear off.

Attachments