2018 NW Overland Rally Discussion and Planning - 06/28/2018

• HTML tutorial

BaldGuyBrigade

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Portland, Or
Member #

We are registered. Coming from Portland if anyone wants to convoy. We are considering heading out a day early to do the discover trail from Stevenson to Packwood. If there’s enough interest I will make a rally point for it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

wordofbabb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Snohomish, WA, USA
Member #

I am new to the forum and my wife and I registered to go to this. We hope to meet some new folks from the area and join some excursions! Looking forward to meeting folks there. We live in Snomohish, WA.

Reactions: RainGoat

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Registered! I too am looking forward to this trip, show, camp trip. We will depart Boise 0700, on Wednesday morning. We are planning an over-night, then completing the travel on Thursday AM. On our trip back, we are headed north up to Chelan Lake, then across to Grand Coulee Damn. The down through the Lake Missoula washout, western Washington flood lands, down to Walla-Walla. An overnight somewhere. And a quick trip back to Boise on Monday AM.

YF_Ryan

Rank 0

Traveler I

The Rally last year was my wife and I's first taste of "overlanding". A co-worker was leading one of the trail runs and talked us into it. We are now hooked. Been looking forward to it since we pulled outta the parking lot last year!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

For anyone who is on the fence of indecision, register and go. We went last year and it was brilliant. The event was run in a very professional manner, the vendors were all great, the discussions and displays were thoroughly informative, and the people that attended were all fantastic. We will not be able to attend this year as we'll be in the Yukon somewhere at that time, but if not I'd have registered already.
The single best part was the ability to talk to numerous people about their set-ups, get real world opinions on trucks, rigs, camping set-ups, etc. We talked to at least a 1/2 dozen people with Four Wheel Campers and took their advice to heart when ordering ours.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

For anyone who is on the fence of indecision, register and go. We went last year and it was brilliant. The event was run in a very professional manner, the vendors were all great, the discussions and displays were thoroughly informative, and the people that attended were all fantastic. We will not be able to attend this year as we'll be in the Yukon somewhere at that time, but if not I'd have registered already.
The single best part was the ability to talk to numerous people about their set-ups, get real world opinions on trucks, rigs, camping set-ups, etc. We talked to at least a 1/2 dozen people with Four Wheel Campers and took their advice to heart when ordering ours.
I agree with this 100%. I could only go for Friday last year but it was great. Conversing with the other attendees really made the event though I found the courses fundamental but interesting as well. I can only make Saturday this year but I’ll get up early, drive over the Cascades & do it again.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Is any one just doing a day trip one day kind of thing to this?
Hey Jeff, see my posts above. I got up early, drove over & stayed until 8p on Friday last year. I’ll probably do the same on Saturday this year. If you are thinking of Saturday, I’d consider going with you. My R50 isn’t likely to be Trail ready so I’m just going for the experience. It will be a great way for you to see other T4R5Gs & get some ideas of what you want to do with yours. I really enjoyed the other attendees last year. A very inclusive event!

Reactions: JeffG98034

JeffG98034

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, Washington
Member #

Hey Jeff, see my posts above. I got up early, drove over & stayed until 8p on Friday last year. I’ll probably do the same on Saturday this year. If you are thinking of Saturday, I’d consider going with you. My R50 isn’t likely to be Trail ready so I’m just going for the experience. It will be a great way for you to see other T4R5Gs & get some ideas of what you want to do with yours. I really enjoyed the other attendees last year. A very inclusive event!
Hey Kent,
I'm still not sure if I'm going just yet, my work has me going to a convention in San Diego about the same time. but if plans change I'll let you know!!

YF_Ryan

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am new to this. What are the activities in this kind of events? I want to go try it. Do we go in the mountain and camp there? Sorry for sounding stupid!
For activities, check out the link in the original post. The website has a list of offerings.

If you want to camp at the rally site you simply get a 20x20 square in a grassy field to setup, right next to the next 20x20 plot. The website shows an aerial picture or two of the site.

As for driving into the mountains, there are trail runs during the days to see some scenery and get some driving in.

Reactions: PNWInfernoPro

Ray Hyland

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

We have more kids classes this year, which is always great fun, plus the usual mix of classes, clinics, rides, etc. Quite a few new vendors coming too, I think the furthest is coming from New Jersey.