2018 Moab Trail Cleanup Fundraiser

• HTML tutorial

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I am cross posting this from a local Utah forum because it falls well within the core values of Overland Bound... Every year they do this fundraiser/cleanup and could use the support of EVERYONE in the OHV community. Even if you arent a Jeep owner or a rock crawler, Moab is an amazing place and we all need to do our part to help the community. A small donation here goes a long ways. If you are in town for EJS... swing by and help the RME crew clean-up for a few mins one morning for even more bonus points.

This year during Easter Jeep Safari, Potato Salad Hill (PSH) will be open and as large of an attraction as ever. RME has already contacted the BLM and the Sheriff’s office who are all in favor of seeing the continued support from RME and the off-road community. As you probably know the PSH area is small, gathers large crowds and has no facilities (bathroom or trash collection) to accommodate those numbers. In years past it has brought many problems for the Sheriff’s office and the BLM who are responsible for the land, as PSH is not part of the official EJS event. Both the BLM and Sheriff’s office will continue to monitor this area during this high traffic weekend. Our focused efforts in that area really can go a long way with showing the groups that the rockcrawlers take land clean up and use serious.

Several years ago Jeff Knoll pioneered the idea of collecting funds and picking up trash to help keep PSH open to the public for the Easter weekend. Since then RME has stepped up to take that project over and continue the fantastic start given by Jeff. Again for 2018 it is our turn to give back to Moab. Help us ensure that the off-road community can work with the local governments, and we can all work together to keep PSH open. In the past several years RME members quickly raised money to help pay for the dumpsters and port-a-potties that were stationed at PSM! We had many members who were able to walk the area to pick up litter and have it taken care of.

Our efforts were noticed and appreciated. One positive example is the good comments we received from “The Solutions of Moab” a recycling center adjacent to the PSH area who takes a personal interest in the PSH area and works closely with the BLM and city council on the condition of PSH. Those few hours spent went a long way for our cause!

In February 2012, RME4x4.com (including all members who helped out) was awarded a plaque for the efforts and donations during Easter Jeep Safari 2011!

This year I can only hope for the same. I would like to challenge you to help raise $2000 (or more!) to fund this project. I would also like to challenge members who are in Moab those times to take a few minutes out of their vacation and walk the area to keep it clean.

Donations can be made via paypal to PSHcleanup@rockymountainextreme.com

All funds will go directly to the cleanup of the area, dumpsters and port-a-potties. Anything collected over the needed amount will be donated to the RR4W MUD fund. (Multi Use Defense Fund to delegate money to support pro-active measures in land use issues)

Check the progress on the PSH Cleanup page - https://www.rme4x4.com/pshcleanup/

Reactions: Boort

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

16 views.........Just because you dont own a jeep or arent going to EJS doesnt mean you shouldnt pitch in for this.

Moab should be on EVERYONES off-road bucket list and this is one way the off-road community gives back to this place we love.

Reactions: Winans360 and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

16 views.........Just because you dont own a jeep or arent going to EJS doesnt mean you shouldnt pitch in for this.

Moab should be on EVERYONES off-road bucket list and this is one way the off-road community gives back to this place we love.
I'm adding some tags to this post in hopes it gets more attention, @Anchor Mtn . They should appear up under the title and should help make this post show up if anyone searches for Moab, etc. Feel free to add more.

Community action is important, whether with clean-ups like this or making voices heard to fight closures.

Reactions: Winans360

Jeff Knoll

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, Nevada
Member #

I am new to this community and I was pleased to see this wonderful campaign continue in the capable hands of my friends at RME. Selfishly I would like to share what a wonderful feeling watching the sunrise over the sandstone of Moab provides to participants as they take time from vacation to perform a community service. I want to share a powerful story with you all.

A dozen years ago while my family was enjoying Moad the week after EJS we read an article about a local environmental activist named Sara. Sara was picking up the debris left by the evil drunken offroaders every morning at Potato Salad Hill. Letters to the editor called for closing the area to mitigate potential resource damage to the nearby creek and curb the blowing trash left behind.

My family and I decided the next year we would return to Moab during EJS and assemble an army of 4 wheelers to pick up all the trash before Sara showed up each day. Needless to say, Sara showed up to 25 plus people cleaning up. She cried when she learned we also loved Moab and did not approve of the litterbugs. The newspaper later quoted Sara saying " They shattered my perception of off-roaders" Sara soon became a multiple use advocate and has been vocal about the balance of motorized and nonmotorized use of Moab.

Sara continues with the help of RME to maintain toilets, trash and recycle bins at PSH during the EJS. It has truly proven to be a common thread answer to keeping the iconic hill open and great multiple agency partnerships. BUT, the program survives 100% on donations of time and money from our communities. Sara has little money, but a big heart and love of Moab. If you can, please give a little back to Moab.

Del Albright and I cleaning up trash at dawn 2 years ago during EJS. It is hard to get people up early, but we really have enjoyed the experience.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I am new to this community and I was pleased to see this wonderful campaign continue in the capable hands of my friends at RME. Selfishly I would like to share what a wonderful feeling watching the sunrise over the sandstone of Moab provides to participants as they take time from vacation to perform a community service. I want to share a powerful story with you all.

A dozen years ago while my family was enjoying Moad the week after EJS we read an article about a local environmental activist named Sara. Sara was picking up the debris left by the evil drunken offroaders every morning at Potato Salad Hill. Letters to the editor called for closing the area to mitigate potential resource damage to the nearby creek and curb the blowing trash left behind.

My family and I decided the next year we would return to Moab during EJS and assemble an army of 4 wheelers to pick up all the trash before Sara showed up each day. Needless to say, Sara showed up to 25 plus people cleaning up. She cried when she learned we also loved Moab and did not approve of the litterbugs. The newspaper later quoted Sara saying " They shattered my perception of off-roaders" Sara soon became a multiple use advocate and has been vocal about the balance of motorized and nonmotorized use of Moab.

Sara continues with the help of RME to maintain toilets, trash and recycle bins at PSH during the EJS. It has truly proven to be a common thread answer to keeping the iconic hill open and great multiple agency partnerships. BUT, the program survives 100% on donations of time and money from our communities. Sara has little money, but a big heart and love of Moab. If you can, please give a little back to Moab.

Del Albright and I cleaning up trash at dawn 2 years ago during EJS. It is hard to get people up early, but we really have enjoyed the experience.

View attachment 52216
Well said Jeff. Good to see you on here as well.