Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Fregoso
Member #

Service Branch
USMC / Nat Guard
Howdy all. I have a 2018 Bone Stock Denali Canyon that I want to turn into my overlanding/daily driving rig. Its a 2.8 Duramax and I am wondering where should I begin. Obviously I need a rack and a tent. Any suggestions? Not to worried about the names, moreso about the quality. I have been eyeing a CBI rack for a Chevy Colorado, but if there are other similar racks , Id like to keep my options open. Once I get my rack, Id gonna get a smittybuilt XL tent, followed by a wheel and tire package. Please throw any and all suggestions this way .

Thanks a lot fam,
Froggo

Attached is my truck!

Attachments

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Nice ride! The GMC Canyon doesn't seem to get as much love as her sister, the Colorado, but it's a much classier version of the platform.

Can't help much with the rack and tent, but I can help with the tires. Firstly, educate yourself on the different tread patterns and their functions. Cultivate a good understanding of the different terrain types that you expect to encounter, and try driving on them in different weather (heat/cold, wet/dry, makes a big difference). Then, weigh out the amount of on-road vs. off-road use you expect, and purchase accordingly. Off-road tires don't do well on-road, and the reverse.

Some community favorites seem to be the BFG KO2, the Cooper Discoverer series, and the Falken Wildpeak series. I traverse mud and sand a lot, and I'm partial to the Nitto Trail Grappler. I've also got a set of Maxxis RAZR A/T 811, the tread pattern looks good for mud and sand, but I haven't tried it yet. Wheels, I would recommend sticking with stock, unless you want to change size. Don't forget a matching spare wheel and full-size spare tire!

I know you didn't ask, but a tire repair kit, a portable air compressor, a shovel, and a first-aid kit should be amongst your first purchases if you're going off the road. If you already have them, good for you!

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Feel free to check out my build thread.

Heres where id start, if you're going to be doing any kind of off roading more than your standard fire road then you need armor. rear shock skids are a must.
Recovery gear. Get it.
As for going the overland route, rear will need an add-a-leaf at the bare minimum, id look into the deaver kit or go full leaf pack.
Lifting up to 2" doesnt require UCAs, anything over that will need UCAs, diff drop, sway bar relocation, longer end links.
265/70r17 will fit without trimming on a leveled truck, anything bigger needs trimming. im running 285/70s and trimmed quite a bit
bed racks will need to be full height if youre looking at running any type of XL tent or awning unless you want a lot of it hanging over the back of the bed.

theres more and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Reactions: DintDobbs