2017 Forester XT: Tiny overlander with big dreams

• HTML tutorial

escape_the_paradigm

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Newark, CA
Member #

Great photos! Looks like a fun trip. I get so jealous of the west coast landscape sometimes.

My ARB 2000 just arrived Friday too! Excited to Install it along with the Fourtreks mounts I got from Steve.

When I lifted the tube to bring it inside it was waaaaay heavier than I expected. Maybe my wife will lend a hand with the install, otherwise it'll be ratchet straps for me too! Follow up question: how easy/hard is it to deploy with one set of hands? My 2 and 4 year olds are a wee bit too small to help me [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deploying it by yourself should not to be too bad as long as its not windy.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I hang LED lights under my awning for evening illumination. My friends laugh that when deploy it in the evening untill they see the mood lighting at night.
Haha. I use a 10' luminoodle and get the same results from people.

Reactions: WhatTheZo

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Got me a skid plate! I'm not a big fan of the stainless/aluminum look so I emailed primitive and they advised not to powder coat or use linex without any reason. Any ideas why?

Reactions: escape_the_paradigm

escape_the_paradigm

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Newark, CA
Member #

Got me a skid plate! I'm not a big fan of the stainless/aluminum look so I emailed primitive and they advised not to powder coat or use linex without any reason. Any ideas why?

Hmm no idea, anodized would be cool but very expensive for something this big.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Honestly save the money and cheap rattle can the armor. You can always touch it up whenever but the big thing here is you'll almost never see it. I hate chrome or bare aluminum and I left mine alone because of that.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Cool!! U can catch me on 280N every morning and afternoon. :) I like your build plans. Looking forward to see it through! Btw any tips on installing the skid plate?

escape_the_paradigm

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Newark, CA
Member #

Cool!! U can catch me on 280N every morning and afternoon. :) I like your build plans. Looking forward to see it through! Btw any tips on installing the skid plate?

Have a second set of hands to help out as the thing is big and awkward sized. Also instructions tell you to discard the plastic splash shields but I did not like how open it left the wheel well areas so I just trimmed the bottom of them and reinstalled them.

Reactions: krzyboy2o