San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
So I'm officially surrounded by Southern Style Offroad (SSO). My new Trailgater bumper was installed today. Oh happy me. [emoji16]

I opted for the non swingarm version since the spare tire underneath has never been an issue for my Overlanding travels.

Now I need to buy some Rotopacks for gas and water to affix to the gate.
View attachment 85555View attachment 85556View attachment 85557View attachment 85558View attachment 85559
Nice! You get the tailgate that's been missing on the 4Runner since Gen 3!!!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
We just did a Toytec 3" lift with 285/70/17 Duratracs. Also picked up an Oztent just before Christmas. I made some mounts to bolt on a flat Baja Rack (for a campershell), made a rack to be able to bolt on 2 5 gallon Scepter fuel cans, and added a footman loop in the back to strap down the fridge. It did real well on our week trip to Death Valley!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good looking rig

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

So I'm officially surrounded by Southern Style Offroad (SSO). My new Trailgater bumper was installed today. Oh happy me. [emoji16]

I opted for the non swingarm version since the spare tire underneath has never been an issue for my Overlanding travels.

View attachment 85555View attachment 85556View attachment 85557View attachment 85558View attachment 85559
That's got to be the sweetest tailgate setup ever ... you said SSO offers this? I'm going to check out the website now!

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

The Good news... My SSO Slimline Front Bumper is here...Hurray!! :grinning::grinning::sunglasses:
The Bad news... My winch was lost in shipping so I have to wait for the replacement and delay the install until it arrives. Don't feel like putting on a bumper and taking it off again to install the winch. :tonguewink:
View attachment 70934
Sorry to hear about the winch issue hopefully it arrives soon ... looks like your going all out on your build ... looking really nice!

Mambo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Interesting concept. I like a drop down tailgate but so many vehicles don't have them anymore.
I've been thinking how to accommodate one into a loadbay storage system, but now have other thoughts....

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Interesting concept. I like a drop down tailgate but so many vehicles don't have them anymore.
I've been thinking how to accommodate one into a loadbay storage system, but now have other thoughts....
I ran the rig through a rocky trail with some mud dipping and water crossings the other day and I had no issues. Well except for the amount of mud stuck to it. Otherwise the tail gate was great as a bench and platform to make lunch.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
It's been awhile since I've really did any mods to the 4Runner but now I've started a drawer build to house all my recovery gear. I had the Hi-Lift jack bolted in the back which I have now removed and I'm waiting on a device to mount it to my front bumper.

The Hi-Lift was fastened to the platform on the left of the Fridge.

20170403_150032.jpg

With that removed I can build a comfortable sized box to store gear inside and still be able to carry my water supply on top of the box.

Here is the mock up of the outer box 341/4" x 20 1/2" X 15". The drawer will be 34" long and approximately 17" wide. I'm still debating with myself (which at times is very intense) on how high I really need the drawer. My first thought is 10", no maybe 12"....no no, I think 13 "....oh the trials an tribulations of woodworking.
20200215_142601.jpg 20200215_142823.jpg 20200215_143021.jpg
Now I'm waiting for the heavy duty drawer glides to come in to finish it all. Stay tuned!

Reactions: Marman

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
It's been awhile since I've really did any mods to the 4Runner but now I've started a drawer build to house all my recovery gear. I had the Hi-Lift jack bolted in the back which I have now removed and I'm waiting on a device to mount it to my front bumper.

The Hi-Lift was fastened to the platform on the left of the Fridge.

View attachment 140165

With that removed I can build a comfortable sized box to store gear inside and still be able to carry my water supply on top of the box.

Here is the mock up of the outer box 341/4" x 20 1/2" X 15". The drawer will be 34" long and approximately 17" wide. I'm still debating with myself (which at times is very intense) on how high I really need the drawer. My first thought is 10", no maybe 12"....no no, I think 13 "....oh the trials an tribulations of woodworking.
View attachment 140166 View attachment 140167 View attachment 140168
Now I'm waiting for the heavy duty drawer glides to come in to finish it all. Stay tuned!
What brand of drawer slides did you order?

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Yep I've used accurride on my drawers in the house. Some were a little stiff at first but they have worn in well (probably just my installation). Now the decision comes down to dog or drawers....

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Yep I've used accurride on my drawers in the house. Some were a little stiff at first but they have worn in well (probably just my installation). Now the decision comes down to dog or drawers....
I agree. They are stiff at first but wear in well. My friend had the same dilemma and opted for an aluminum crate which he could stack gear on.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTN RNR

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Well the Recovery Gear Box is finished and installed. It was a fairly easy build with lots of screws and glue used. I opted for 3/4 inch plywood on the outer box so it was strong enough to hold water containers and other stuff on top without flexing.
20200215_142601 - Copy.jpg 20200215_142823 - Copy.jpg
After dry fitting and sizing to ensure a proper fit next to the fridge slide, I glued and screwed it together. I left the top undone so I could work on the interior easier when mounting the drawer glides which I bottom mounted. I then started on the actual drawer which was mostly 1/2 inch plywood with the front and back panels made of 3/4 inch ply. Next was aligning and fastening it to the glides.
20200224_152950.jpg 20200225_121846.jpg 20200225_124252.jpg
After testing the weight load, it was fasting eye-bolts to three sides for to the turn buckles to anchor to. It's good not to have a large box bounce around when on the trails. :smirk: Next is was wrapping the box in carpet for sound proofing along with the drawer floor.

20200226_101914.jpg 20200226_133631.jpg 20200227_133242.jpg
To finish it up, I added the front drawer face, rope handle and top railing to stop any side sliding. Once this was complete, it was off to the rig for the install.
20200226_135839.jpg 20200227_155940.jpg 20200227_161155.jpg

After a test drive to make sure all was good, I did add a latch so the drawer didn't open going up hills.

20200229_095232[8924].jpg

And now..... this project is officially Done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roaming the West

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Well the Recovery Gear Box is finished and installed. It was a fairly easy build with lots of screws and glue used. I opted for 3/4 inch plywood on the outer box so it was strong enough to hold water containers and other stuff on top without flexing.
View attachment 142165 View attachment 142164
After dry fitting and sizing to ensure a proper fit next to the fridge slide, I glued and screwed it together. I left the top undone so I could work on the interior easier when mounting the drawer glides which I bottom mounted. I then started on the actual drawer which was mostly 1/2 inch plywood with the front and back panels made of 3/4 inch ply. Next was aligning and fastening it to the glides.
View attachment 142167 View attachment 142168 View attachment 142169
After testing the weight load, it was fasting eye-bolts to three sides for to the turn buckles to anchor to. It's good not to have a large box bounce around when on the trails. :smirk: Next is was wrapping the box in carpet for sound proofing along with the drawer floor.

View attachment 142170 View attachment 142171 View attachment 142172
To finish it up, I added the front drawer face, rope handle and top railing to stop any side sliding. Once this was complete, it was off to the rig for the install.
View attachment 142173 View attachment 142174 View attachment 142175

After a test drive to make sure all was good, I did add a latch so the drawer didn't open going up hills.

View attachment 142264

And now..... this project is officially Done.
Hey that's great looking! Now, the next time you get all packed up could you post some pics of the total layout? Camp gear, clothes, etc, etc. It would be great just to see the organization of the package! I still really want to put those racks over the side rear windows up. But I think my next mod will have to be re-gearing to 456 or 488. Don't think I'm going to go bigger than the 34" tires I'm using now, and no plans for a trailer so I'll probably go 456.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey that's great looking! Now, the next time you get all packed up could you post some pics of the total layout? Camp gear, clothes, etc, etc. It would be great just to see the organization of the package! I still really want to put those racks over the side rear windows up. But I think my next mod will have to be re-gearing to 456 or 488. Don't think I'm going to go bigger than the 34" tires I'm using now, and no plans for a trailer so I'll probably go 456.
Well it so happens that I am packed and ready to go to the Mojave Road Clean-up.

20200311_101034.jpg

Reactions: Marman

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
BUMMER.... We were headed down to Mojave for the trail clean up and the rig broke down in Hawthorne NV. It may be the upper control arm on the driver's side. Rented a Uhaul and trailer to tow the rig back to Reno. BUMMER.
13140.jpeg20200311_194923.jpg20200311_194847.jpg

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
BUMMER.... We were headed down to Mojave for the trail clean up and the rig broke down in Hawthorne NV. It may be the upper control arm on the driver's side. Rented a Uhaul and trailer to tow the rig back to Reno. BUMMER.
View attachment 144225View attachment 144226View attachment 144227
Wow.... the only thing good about that is that it didn't happen far out on the Mojave Road! How disappointing .... But the pack up looked great - thanks for the photo!

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #