Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wetumpka, AL, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hoggard
Member #

Loving your build so far. I went with the WK2 because I manage the marketing for a Jeep dealership, but after seeing yours and other 4Runner builds, it makes me wish I worked for a Toyota dealership.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Loving your build so far. I went with the WK2 because I manage the marketing for a Jeep dealership, but after seeing yours and other 4Runner builds, it makes me wish I worked for a Toyota dealership.
Thanks... every time I see a Land Cruiser build I actually wonder if the 4Runner was the right size....LOL... I think all the manufacturers have plus and minuses to their models. Jeep has a better aftermarket than Toyota so I think you'll be happy. :sunglasses:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Update on the wish list....
After a bunch of research and speaking with some bumper vendors at Overland Expo West, I chose to go with SSO bumpers (slimline in front, full in back) and rocksliders.
Reasoning...they were the innovators for slimline bumpers and another bumper manufacturer recommended SSO.
After looking at their website for months I saw they came out with a new redesign on the backbumper called the TrailGater. No cutting the plastic 4Runner bumper. Just take it off.
The rock sliders had the features I was looking for...so I thought I'd just keep it in the SSO family.

Now the waiting begins..[emoji52] six weeks for rock sliders and front bumper. 12 weeks for rear bumper. [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: GPsGeeps

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Well this happened...on the run the other day I ended up bending my HAM antenna squeezing through the tight brush and trees :sob:. Tried to bend it back but couldn't get it straight :disappointed:. So I called up HAM Radio Outlet to see if they had any remedies similar to what you see for CB antennas..you know...those long antennas wagging back and forth, back and forth as they drive down the road. Well they did but not for my Diamond NMO mount antenna, for the Larsen antenna with the optional SpringB steel shock spring . So I bought it. :sunglasses: I'll see how much I "wag" on the trail tomorrow... LOL:wink:
new antenna.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So the trail ride today proved successful. The new antenna with spring worked like a dream. Very pleased with the purchase.

The second item I tested on this trip was my homemade mic extension cable. Since I didn't need 3 or 5 meter ext cable (much less the cost was very pricey), I got some ethernet cable from my left over network geek box, added an RJ45 coupler and voila!--a two-ish foot extension cable. No more pulling too hard on the jack which caused a few comm issues previously.
20180711_174123.jpg
20180711_174513.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Update on the wish list....
After a bunch of research and speaking with some bumper vendors at Overland Expo West, I chose to go with SSO bumpers (slimline in front, full in back) and rocksliders.
Reasoning...they were the innovators for slimline bumpers and another bumper manufacturer recommended SSO.
After looking at their website for months I saw they came out with a new redesign on the backbumper called the TrailGater. No cutting the plastic 4Runner bumper. Just take it off.
The rock sliders had the features I was looking for...so I thought I'd just keep it in the SSO family.

Now the waiting begins..[emoji52] six weeks for rock sliders and front bumper. 12 weeks for rear bumper. [emoji33]

Update..... just got word that the front bumper and rock sliders are in fabrication.
Hurray for me!!! [emoji41]

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I was trying to do something to my Rig while waiting for my bumpers and rock sliders to come in. So I decided to experiment with a solution to hang my HAM mike at a desirable height and location. I used a picture hanger with command tape and viola!

I'll see how well it works on the trail tomorrow before trimming the hook to make it not look like a hook. [emoji12] 20180810_130559.jpeg20180810_130359.jpeg20180810_130410.jpeg

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

We just did a Toytec 3" lift with 285/70/17 Duratracs. Also picked up an Oztent just before Christmas. I made some mounts to bolt on a flat Baja Rack (for a campershell), made a rack to be able to bolt on 2 5 gallon Scepter fuel cans, and added a footman loop in the back to strap down the fridge. It did real well on our week trip to Death Valley!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What wheels are those with your 285/70/17 Duratracs?

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I like the way this neatly solves the challenge of where to rigidly mount a fire extinguisher in a 4Runner (amongst a couple of other challenges as well)!
Thanks. I had the same issue...couldn't find a good solution for the fire extinguisher.. then saw a Rago add and investigated. It's proved to be a useful add on. The quick fits are a perfect add for holding. I keep adding to them.
1536079929266.jpeg

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Thanks. I had the same issue...couldn't find a good solution for the fire extinguisher.. then saw a Rago add and investigated. It's proved to be a useful add on. The quick fits are a perfect add for holding. I keep adding to them.
View attachment 67372
The install looks pretty straightforward too. Any issues?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
The install looks pretty straightforward too. Any issues?
None. Very easy to install. I did have to take the panel off again to install the quick fists and fire extinguisher fasteners properly. Also I ordered D rings to replace the top Toyota hooks that must come off. They should be in this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTN RNR

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
None. Very easy to install. I did have to the panel off again to install the quick fists and fire extinguisher fasteners properly. Also I ordered D rings to replace the top Toyota hooks that must come off. They should be in this week.
I obviously think faster than I type... it's supposed to say ' I did have to take the panel off......' [emoji12]

Reactions: MTN RNR

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

WOW! The builds in these threads are great. I can see where I'll get some great ideas for possible future adds to my 4Runner so as a new member I am adding my thread to the forum.

Being newbies to Overlanding, my wife and I were a bit perplexed at what vehicle to purchase that would meet two basic conditions—first; the vehicle had to be comfortable enough for daily driving and getting her to the ski-slopes, and second; have enough Oomph! to traverse the trails that our good friends wanted to share with us (they being experienced overlanders).

Chosen was the Toyota 4Runner SR5 with two additional aftermarket options—heated seats and tinted windows. The reason for the darkened windows was not only for sunlight blockage but for privacy when sleeping in the cargo area on the platform I made.

View attachment 45430

The platform worked really well but it became rather tiresome to set up the bedding and repack daily. Much less, it did feel like sleeping in a coffin as sitting up was not an option and we literally had to crawl in and out the side door. Soon after a 15-day trip up the west coast into Canada and back, we opted to purchase a roof-top tent. Since then, moving on a daily basis has become a breeze.

View attachment 45434

Here is what’s been done since the purchase.

Added in 2016:

• WARN Receiver Shackle with lock
    • BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K02 Tires (definitely needed after having a flat in Death Valley with the stock tires)
    • Icon Stage 1 lift kit (Lifted two inches making it easier to traverse the rocks)
    • Maggiolina Grand Tour Rooftop Tent with custom 4-inch mattress
    • DC Outlets—non-ignition activated
    • Voltage Meter
    • Eezi-Awn K9 Roof Rack
    • ARB 64-quart Fridge/Freezer with slider
    • Custom platform for fridge slider and extra space for supplies
Added in 2017:

• Garmin InReach
    • ICOM 4100A Ham Radio (after we passed the FCC licensing test)
    • DIAMOND K400SNMO Antenna Mount with cable
    • DIAMOND NR770HNMO Dual Band Mobile Whip Antenna
    • MOHOO 100-watt foldable Solar Panel with MC4 connector
Of course, there is always the wish list.

Future Adds/Wish List:

• Rock Sliders
    • Skid Plates
    • Slimline front bumper with winch
    • Rago storage panels
    • Rear bumper with tire and Jerry can mounts
    • Lights
    • Awning
    • Shower
After two years of overlanding, the 4Runner still looks good though it is a bit different. Besides the desert striping, a boo-boo I put on the passenger side, and removing the rigid running boards, I removed the Split-bench seat to build another platform for the ARB Fridge/Slider. This gave way to a larger platform area for storage and turned the 4Runner into a three-seater. But it was for a good cause…

View attachment 45436

My most recent activity is getting the HAM radio antenna fully installed. Toyota has definitely made a zero tolerance vehicle and trying to fish wires in the head liner is a struggle. But that doesn't stop us from venturing out. Any helpful hints welcome.

View attachment 45438

So neighbors are always tickled to see my wife and I loading the RTT so I thought I'd share a video...

Sir, the Roof Top Tent is amazing !! What is the weight & dims? Very interested in this type of configuration. Your Rig LOOKS AMAZING!!!