HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
WOW! The builds in these threads are great. I can see where I'll get some great ideas for possible future adds to my 4Runner so as a new member I am adding my thread to the forum.

Being newbies to Overlanding, my wife and I were a bit perplexed at what vehicle to purchase that would meet two basic conditions—first; the vehicle had to be comfortable enough for daily driving and getting her to the ski-slopes, and second; have enough Oomph! to traverse the trails that our good friends wanted to share with us (they being experienced overlanders).

Chosen was the Toyota 4Runner SR5 with two additional aftermarket options—heated seats and tinted windows. The reason for the darkened windows was not only for sunlight blockage but for privacy when sleeping in the cargo area on the platform I made.

Platform.jpg

The platform worked really well but it became rather tiresome to set up the bedding and repack daily. Much less, it did feel like sleeping in a coffin as sitting up was not an option and we literally had to crawl in and out the side door. Soon after a 15-day trip up the west coast into Canada and back, we opted to purchase a roof-top tent. Since then, moving on a daily basis has become a breeze.

IMG_6138 (2).jpg

Here is what’s been done since the purchase.

Added in 2016:

• WARN Receiver Shackle with lock
    • BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K02 Tires (definitely needed after having a flat in Death Valley with the stock tires)
    • Icon Stage 1 lift kit (Lifted two inches making it easier to traverse the rocks)
    • Maggiolina Grand Tour Rooftop Tent with custom 4-inch mattress
    • DC Outlets—non-ignition activated
    • Voltage Meter
    • Eezi-Awn K9 Roof Rack
    • ARB 64-quart Fridge/Freezer with slider
    • Custom platform for fridge slider and extra space for supplies
Added in 2017:

• Garmin InReach
    • ICOM 4100A Ham Radio (after we passed the FCC licensing test)
    • DIAMOND K400SNMO Antenna Mount with cable
    • DIAMOND NR770HNMO Dual Band Mobile Whip Antenna
    • MOHOO 100-watt foldable Solar Panel with MC4 connector
Of course, there is always the wish list.

Future Adds/Wish List:

• Rock Sliders
    • Skid Plates
    • Slimline front bumper with winch
    • Rago storage panels
    • Rear bumper with tire and Jerry can mounts
    • Lights
    • Awning
    • Shower
After two years of overlanding, the 4Runner still looks good though it is a bit different. Besides the desert striping, a boo-boo I put on the passenger side, and removing the rigid running boards, I removed the Split-bench seat to build another platform for the ARB Fridge/Slider. This gave way to a larger platform area for storage and turned the 4Runner into a three-seater. But it was for a good cause…

New Platform with fridge slider.jpg

My most recent activity is getting the HAM radio antenna fully installed. Toyota has definitely made a zero tolerance vehicle and trying to fish wires in the head liner is a struggle. But that doesn't stop us from venturing out. Any helpful hints welcome.

IMG_4194.JPG

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I like what youve done with it! Check out RCI sliders, i love mine and they came quick... Also the rago storage panels are really nice. I only bought one for the drivers side, but its worked very well sofar. Im sure youll like them!
Thanks NZ4runner. I'll checked the RCI site out and it looks like they make the sliders with the skid plate which is more along the lines I am looking at.

Which style do you use?

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

I went with no plates, just the bars... I really like them, and i never slip when i step on mine. I undercoated them with black enamel, then put a flat black rubberized coat over that. Gonna need to repaint after winter because the salt is killing them, but they were awesome all spring and summer.

Reactions: TN_4Runner

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I went with no plates, just the bars... I really like them, and i never slip when i step on mine. I undercoated them with black enamel, then put a flat black rubberized coat over that. Gonna need to repaint after winter because the salt is killing them, but they were awesome all spring and summer.
That's interesting. Did you do the rubberized coating yourself ? Since I live in a high plains desert, I am not too worried about road salt nor do I miss it (being a former east coaster).

Reactions: TN_4Runner

squirrel_cage

Rank 0

Contributor I

We just did a Toytec 3" lift with 285/70/17 Duratracs. Also picked up an Oztent just before Christmas. I made some mounts to bolt on a flat Baja Rack (for a campershell), made a rack to be able to bolt on 2 5 gallon Scepter fuel cans, and added a footman loop in the back to strap down the fridge. It did real well on our week trip to Death Valley!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
We just did a Toytec 3" lift with 285/70/17 Duratracs. Also picked up an Oztent just before Christmas. I made some mounts to bolt on a flat Baja Rack (for a campershell), made a rack to be able to bolt on 2 5 gallon Scepter fuel cans, and added a footman loop in the back to strap down the fridge. It did real well on our week trip to Death Valley!

Squirrel_cage, I am still toying with purchasing a rear bumper for water and gas storage. The Jerry cans do take up space in the cargo area. I like your setup. Unfortunately, my tent takes up the top of my vehicle.

Reactions: squirrel_cage

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Well I can officially state that my HAM Radio is installed. It was a bit of a challenge to run the antenna cable along the headliner on the passenger side from the hatch. Since I didn't want a hole in my roof I opted for a hatch antenna mount. Additionally, the hatch needed to open without the antenna hitting the roof rack or tent. Hurray it works.

Radio install.jpg

Hatch cable run.jpg antenna.jpg

Reactions: MTNYOTA

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Installed the wires to the MPPT for my Solar Panel and connection to the battery. Velcro'd an inexpensive (cheap by any other name) to the metal strapping around the battery. This way it gives dust protection and doesn't allow the cables to hang loose. I am soooo ready to test it out.
Plastic protector box for MPPT conection.jpg

MPPT Wire hook up.jpg Solar Panel (2).jpg

Reactions: tjk775

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I have discovered the one annoying thing while traveling the trails-- a mysterious rattle... It's not like the rattles from the normal pack-out which is expected. It's that pesky rattle that continues when the rig is empty and you search everywhere for it and start thinking that there is a real issue somewhere. :screamcat: Well after a year I finally found mine--the fridge slider. :openmouth: It wouldn't do it all the time so I didn't look closely at it until now.... Ah Ha! that's it and I fixed it with thin rubber pads on the front of the slider -- works great and no more mystery rattle. :smiley::sunglasses:
20180506_112455.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I now have one more item off my wish list...bought Rago modular storage panels at Overland Expo and installed them. Now to find the proper latches and pouches to get the loose stuff off the floor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Looking good! What are those straps you used to mount your shovel and trail axe to the molle plate?
Thanks. I used Quick Fist mounts. They come in a couple of sizes. I used the large for the shovel and axe. The pic is the smaller version I bought 'just in case.'[emoji12] 20180529_083747.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app