Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Just a quick shot from yesterday evening

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
How in the heck do you take such an incredible photos!!! Wow!!! [emoji1306] Oh, my FrontRunner drawers are on their way!!! You have inspired me to go back to my build thread and finish but now I would just direct LR4 folks here!!! Hahaha!

Reactions: erinw.rrc

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg ive got this as a courtesy at the moment while mine is getting repaird I fell out with LR at the end of the TD5 range as they never had a commersial in the the diso , 3 at first , but the last week has drawn me back this Model is one beast , ive sat in the new one it does nothing for me think ill be looking for a demonstrator asap.

Contributor I

Louisiana
Member #

One of the items I wanted to do was blackout of the raised portion of the hood. There are a few people out there that have created these; however, they do not cover the sides of the raised portion on the hood. I asked if they would change this and got a why would you do this as we've never had this request before? Back to the drawing board on doing this on my own. As I was doing the plasti-dip I thought I could give this a go for the hood as well which leads me to today and my Saturday afternoon project.

Hard part for this is masking off the lines and getting a good curve towards the front of the hood. For me I took normal blue tape and cut it in half to be able to bend the tape easier on the curves as you see below:

Once this was done I then began to mask off the truck. Key is to open the hood and mask underneath the the hood near the edges and along the engine bay near the wipers to give you a good clean mask.

Here's the truck fully masked off using drop cloth and newspaper ready for the first coat.

First coat applied. Key is not to overdue it on the first coat.

Shot of the 3rd coat.

Shot of the 6th coat.

And finished product...few coats later.

In summary it's still a little early to tell as it needs to properly dry. It was hard to get a good even coat on such a large surface. I was standing on a ice chest on the front trying to cover the entire area but also standing on the sides to change up the direction of the strokes. I'm just glad I was able to get a good clean break on the lines when I removed all the tape. Overall though really pleased with the look and anxious to see how it holds up.

I'll let it cure for a bit then take it out for some better photos to share.

Reactions: SeguineJ

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Fantastic write up highlighted by your eye candy pics. Love those Rovers. Keep pics coming of your adventures with the truck.

Reactions: gulfstreamchris

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

Glad to know the prefab stickers do not cover the sloped edges of the hood, I had been looking at options. Would love to see some additional pics of your handywork. Curious how the hood looks I'm the sun.

Love the entire build.

Reactions: gulfstreamchris