Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Hello all, and welcome to my build thread for my (somewhat recently purchased) Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited!

Growing up in small town America here in Central Ohio, my interest for 4x4s quickly grew as my 16th birthday grew nearer. Running around with all the farm kids in town, being around lifted trucks and jeeps was just a way of life. Spending the week in buddies shops to get that homemade bodylift installed just to fit the old set of MT tires, so you'd be ready for the weekend, was how so many of my high school weeks went!

After years of owning trucks and an old full size jeep, I had to make a tough choice and sell my last truck, Chevy 2500HD, for something a little easier on the old wallet. This was a time when gas was $4 a gallon and my 6.0L was getting about 10mpg regardless! I bit the bullet and purchased a MUCH more fuel economic Honda Accord..... The car was wonderful and served my everyday purpose of getting from point A to point B, on pavement of course. Though the car was fine, my love for the outdoors, the forest, camping, seclusion, and the ability to get there via vehicle, was tugging back at my heart strings.

Over the past year, my fiance and I had discussed getting a more capable, family friendly vehicle, for our camping and adventures around the mid-west and great lakes region. We wanted something that could haul some gear, our dog, and hopefully kids in the future. We decided on the Outback and have been super happy since the purchase. It is LOADED with options, plenty of room, AWD, and plenty of aftermarket accessories to make a great build while still getting good MPGs as my daily driver!

The car was purchased COMPLETELY stock but I have been able to add a few things so far, with a wish list of things to come!

Here is the list so far -

LP Aventures hood light brackets
Rough Country Cree LED cube lights with DRL
Curt Hitch
Yakima bike carrier
WeatherTech Mats
Opt 7 Low Beam HID upgrade
Beamtech LED Fog Lights

Future additions -

Readylift 2" SST Lift (sitting in my garage)
Motegi 17" Wheels
Falken 245/65r17 Tires
LP Aventures Canister Bypass
New skids under the entire (not sure of manufacturer yet)
Roof top cargo basket
30" Curved LED Light Bar
Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive Michigan

IMG_0861.jpg

Waugoshance Point @ Wilderness State Park Michigan

IMG_0976.jpg

M22 Bike Trail

IMG_2295.jpg
Mission Point State Park, Michigan

IMG_9671.jpg
Moonville Tunnel Area in Southern Ohio

moment_photo_EF88F4C4.jpg Hello all, and welcome to my build thread for my (somewhat recently purchased) Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited!

Last edited:

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

So I've been thinking about adding a drawer/storage area to the back of my Outback that could be converted into a platform for sleeping when the seats are laid down. Found this link with every measurement possible for the'15 and '16 Outbacks. Maybe this can help someone with a similar project!

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2016.html

Reactions: Wolf427

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

You have made a good decision. A Subaru Outback makes for a really great all purpose vehicle. With your list of upgrades completed, you are going to have a lot of fun. And still have a vehicle with a nice ride and good fuel mileage. We get several Overland style Subaru's at our camp every year. Every one of these owners love their cars, and would make the same decision again. We had one young couple who had been on the road for 3 months. They had already been in the southwest desert, Canada, Alaska, across Canada again, then into the northeast to Vermont. All on as much back dirt roads as possible. Zero issues !!

Great pics of your adventures ! Keep getting out there and exploring, that's what it's all about. Doesn't really matter what you are driving. If you are ever in Vermont, come visit the camp.

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

You have made a good decision. A Subaru Outback makes for a really great all purpose vehicle. With your list of upgrades completed, you are going to have a lot of fun. And still have a vehicle with a nice ride and good fuel mileage. We get several Overland style Subaru's at our camp every year. Every one of these owners love their cars, and would make the same decision again. We had one young couple who had been on the road for 3 months. They had already been in the southwest desert, Canada, Alaska, across Canada again, then into the northeast to Vermont. All on as much back dirt roads as possible. Zero issues !!

Great pics of your adventures ! Keep getting out there and exploring, that's what it's all about. Doesn't really matter what you are driving. If you are ever in Vermont, come visit the camp.
Thank you! I've never been to the Northeast but its for sure a "bucket list" trip of mine! I have a friend who recently moved to Bar Harbor Maine, so I think I may have to make the trip sometime soon! Thanks for the offer, I'd love to visit!

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Had the day off from work and was bored so i decided to assemble my DIY canister filter bypass. As soon as it thaws out a little here in Central Ohio, I'll get it all installed! More to come!

Parts -

16" 3/4" ID heater hose
1.5" 3/4" heater hose
4- 1/2"-1.25" SS hose clamps
1 - 1" rubber coated clamp
3/4" x 3/4" male to male poly barb fitting
K&N B020A4 breather filter

IMG_2114.jpgIMG_2115.jpg

Last edited:

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Sold the ReadyLift kit I had and picked up the 2" Rallitek spacer lift! Got it installed and paired it with 17" Motegi mr118's and some Falken Wildpeak at3's! Pictures are with the lift installed and oem tires/wheels and another quick snap of the lift with new tires and wheels. I love how its starting to look! Next up, Rallitek springs and Primitive skid plates!

Last edited:

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Looks awesome! Love those wheels.
Thanks! Yeah, I was looking at others like the Methods or Sparco wheels but having to do this build on a budget right now and the Motegi price could not be beat. Seems like a bunch of the Subaru guys are running these!

Wolf427

Rank III

Contributor III

Halton Hills, ON, Canada
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Mancini
Thanks! Yeah, I was looking at others like the Methods or Sparco wheels but having to do this build on a budget right now and the Motegi price could not be beat. Seems like a bunch of the Subaru guys are running these!
Brand doesn't matter to me, as long as they hold up! Glad you mentioned the brand, because I see a few designs I like and they are definitely cheaper than the others I have looked at.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Lookin' good! Always nice to see another set of those Falken AT3W's out in the wild and on a Subaru. I'm interested to see how you install the breather hose - I've been meaning to do the same on my Forester.

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Lookin' good! Always nice to see another set of those Falken AT3W's out in the wild and on a Subaru. I'm interested to see how you install the breather hose - I've been meaning to do the same on my Forester.
I will be doing that soon. I will try to take pictures as I do the install but there is a great video out there floating around of one being installed. I’ll try to find it and link it here!

Reactions: Baipin

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Got my 60d CVT transmission mount insert installed tonight. Took the 18-22mph wobble right out! Also hooked up a WiFi enabled obd2 port reader and linked it to OBD fusion for my iPad mini. Crazy how much information that thing can give you! Definitely worth the $16 obd2 reader and $10 app! Hopefully I can get the canister bypass filter installed this weekend!

PAfozzy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ephrata, PA, USA
Member #

On the Motegi MR118's did you get the 45mm offset and is that working well for you? I'm planning on putting these and some 235/65r17 Geolander AT 15's on my 2014 forester.

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

On the Motegi MR118's did you get the 45mm offset and is that working well for you? I'm planning on putting these and some 235/65r17 Geolander AT 15's on my 2014 forester.
Sorry for the late reply, life's been crazy the past several weeks! To answer your question, yes, i went with the 45mm offset and they are working great! For the money, they cant be beat! I purchased my from discount tire or tire discounters (cant remember which) on ebay for like $105 ea.

PAfozzy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ephrata, PA, USA
Member #

Great, thanks! My build plans are on hold for the moment. :( But thanks for the info, new wheels and tires are first on the list.

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

A few weekends back a good friend of mine and I went down to southern Ohio and mapped out some roads around Zaleski State forest! Here are a few pics from one of the loops! I need to get his butt to become an OB member!

Attachments

Last edited: