blebars

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
LeBars
Removed my front air dam and underskirt/epas skid and installed my powder coated aluminum RCI skid plates for the engine, transmission and transfer case. Gas tank skid happens this weekend. Awesome stuff, super easy install. Took 1.5 hours to complete from unpacking to final torquing. Much improved protection, now to find som proper rock sliders.

View attachment 55501 View attachment 55502 View attachment 55503 View attachment 55504 View attachment 55505 View attachment 55506
Skid plates look great! Do you feel the aluminum is fairly strong and can withstand some direct hits? I have been looking at those and the ADD rock sliders myself. Thanks in advance, from a new member with a F150!

blebars

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
LeBars
I wanted to get some more air moving in my truck and keep the bugs away but I couldn’t find a quality commercial option for this. I want to be able to keep the tailgate open for the summer months. This is just prototype V1.0 but I found a $20 mosquito net on amazon, cut it in half and taped the edges just to test this out. I envision a possible Velcro option that will attach to the underside of the cap door while its in the open position. We will see how this pans out. This set up will work great along with the slumberjack tarp I have.

Any suggestions are always welcome.

View attachment 63279 View attachment 63280 View attachment 63281
Check out the tent made on Topper ez Lift.com. Its not a bad option and something I have been eye balling myself. The Nomad Camper Package - TopperLift

Reactions: Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Skid plates look great! Do you feel the aluminum is fairly strong and can withstand some direct hits? I have been looking at those and the ADD rock sliders myself. Thanks in advance, from a new member with a F150!
They are super thick and well made. If you hit something hard enough to dent these you probably really screwed up.

Reactions: blebars

Droff85

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mississippi
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Gafford
Awesome looking build so far. I have a 2014 and would like to outfit it the way you and some of the other members have done. Keep up the good work and progress.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Cool build, I like your use of wood for the custom fabrication, but I'm most impressed with this rigging.

6EEC9D5A-3A03-4EA5-8889-D4D32D80E18A.jpeg

25SAR66

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Napa Valley
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Viader
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Km6qmk
Service Branch
SAR/Firefighter
Hey Cort, another fellow SAR volunteer and F150 owner so I really appreciate this thread and all the detailed info! Just started on this forum so don't have much to add yet but I'll be keeping an eye out for what's to come on your build. Really like the choices so far. Cheers, AV

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Looks like this thread has been sleeping for a bit but great build! I wanted to let folks know about the sliders from Rocky-Road Outfitters. I have a '16 F150 and have their sliders with the kick-outs and love them. They bolt to the factory frame holes and are quite stout. I have 'tested' them a few times now with full weight of truck coming down off a rock and landing on them. Some scratched powder coating but that's it. Happy to throw pics up if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Cort and 25SAR66

25SAR66

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Napa Valley
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Viader
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Km6qmk
Service Branch
SAR/Firefighter
Looks like this thread has been sleeping for a bit but great build! I wanted to let folks know about the sliders from Rocky-Road Outfitters. I have a '16 F150 and have their sliders with the kick-outs and love them. They bolt to the factory frame holes and are quite stout. I have 'tested' them a few times now with full weight of truck coming down off a rock and landing on them. Some scratched powder coating but that's it. Happy to throw pics up if anyone is interested.
I’d be interested in seeing pics! I have the Smitybilt sliders but they hang low and when hit hard they do shift a bit. Cheers!

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Cool! I love the use of the e-track stuff in the bed. I was originally going to do e-track points (sourced from Harbor Freight) and wood mounting surfaces in my Ranger, but I ended up building out a modular box and mounted my gear to that. It all comes out in two primary pieces pretty easily and fits under my tonneau cover. Tip of the hat to ya because you did what I wanted and it looks great! Here's mine:
2020-10-31 17.19.51.jpg
2020-10-31 17.19.34.jpg

Reactions: Dusther210

Motley_Screw

Rank IV

Traveler III

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Bajema
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6VPJ
Just grabbed a few quick pics. Happy to provide any specific pics or info if wanted
Thanks for posting the pics, I've been looking at these for my F150. Are you happy with the bare tubes on the forward section as opposed to adding the diamond plate? I was looking at configuring the same was as you have but was wondering how well the bare tubes worked as a step.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I'm very happy with the bare tubes. I thought about doing the whole thing the diamond plate but the cost wasn't worth it for me. I was also concerned about them becoming a shelf for mud, snow, etc. My footwear ranges from flip-flops mainly to steel-toed boots in size 11.5 and my GF has small feet and is a leg amputee. Neither of us have any slips, or trips or any other issues using the bare tubs as steps.

Reactions: Motley_Screw

Motley_Screw

Rank IV

Traveler III

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Bajema
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6VPJ
I'm very happy with the bare tubes. I thought about doing the whole thing the diamond plate but the cost wasn't worth it for me. I was also concerned about them becoming a shelf for mud, snow, etc. My footwear ranges from flip-flops mainly to steel-toed boots in size 11.5 and my GF has small feet and is a leg amputee. Neither of us have any slips, or trips or any other issues using the bare tubs as steps.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll probably end up going the same route. Nice rig! The F150 makes a great build platform.

Reactions: WTSMatt

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Thanks for sharing the sliders. This post has absolutely been sleeping! The truck has been ing doing great. I’m at 163,000 miles with only normal maintenance and 3 throttle bodies(known ford problem).

Reactions: WTSMatt