2015 F-150 XLT 4x4, and new to the forums

• HTML tutorial

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

So I just got the KB Max Modular rack and installed it yesterday. I went with the 10 inch, which sits slightly higher with the brackets. Was a bit of a project with just myself, and came with the ABSOLUTE WORST assembly instructions of anything I have ever bought. Overall I am very pleased with the quality and functionality.

To mount it to the bed rails I had to completely remove the tonneau cover and mounting rails for that, then install the brackets for the rack, and then re mount the rails. The placement of the clamps is a little funky so the tonneau rails now sit up a little higher than before. It makes it so the cover isn't flush with the bed or tailgate, but I'm gonna try and massage it or get some different mounting hardware..... or might get a roll up cover (Retrax/Pace Edwards) because that will allow me to completely open up the bed with the rack still on. I'll see how it goes.

I haven't mounted the tent to it yet, but hopefully that will happen tonight.

IMG_0817.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0821.jpg

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

So the brackets that came with the tent were too short to fit my rack, so I exchanged them out for the previous version of the brackets. Then those brackets came with hardware that also was too short. So after a couple trips to the hardware store, I finally have the tent on the rack.

I am SUPER happy with the set up. The height of the crossbars on the tent is exactly where I wanted it, so it will be almost exactly level with the crossbars I put on the cab, making it perfect for paddle boards and kayaks. It also keeps my center of gravity lower, and much more aerodynamic.

There is a tiny whistle from the crossbars, but it's very minimal and only happens from about 35-50 mph.

IMG_0873.jpgIMG_0877.jpgIMG_0878.jpgIMG_0879.jpg

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

So the brackets that came with the tent were too short to fit my rack, so I exchanged them out for the previous version of the brackets. Then those brackets came with hardware that also was too short. So after a couple trips to the hardware store, I finally have the tent on the rack.

I am SUPER happy with the set up. The height of the crossbars on the tent is exactly where I wanted it, so it will be almost exactly level with the crossbars I put on the cab, making it perfect for paddle boards and kayaks. It also keeps my center of gravity lower, and much more aerodynamic.

There is a tiny whistle from the crossbars, but it's very minimal and only happens from about 35-50 mph.

View attachment 113730View attachment 113731View attachment 113732View attachment 113733
Brad-F150, is this the 58 inch long rack? Looks like it. Question and it may be too late but how close is the bracket to the front part of the bed towards the cab? You wouldn’t have a picture of that by chance would you?

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

Brad-F150, is this the 58 inch long rack? Looks like it. Question and it may be too late but how close is the bracket to the front part of the bed towards the cab? You wouldn’t have a picture of that by chance would you?
Yes, it's the 58" rack. I just looked and didn't get any pictures of just the front brackets before I put the cover back on, but I can easily get in the bed later and get some from the inside if you need them. The rear brackets are mounted as far back as I could, and the front brackets have maybe a couple inches of room between them and the cab-end of the bed. I don't think there is a whole lot of wiggle room to move the rack up towards the cab. Hope that helps, and let me know if you want other pics

Reactions: mjherron

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Yes, it's the 58" rack. I just looked and didn't get any pictures of just the front brackets before I put the cover back on, but I can easily get in the bed later and get some from the inside if you need them. The rear brackets are mounted as far back as I could, and the front brackets have maybe a couple inches of room between them and the cab-end of the bed. I don't think there is a whole lot of wiggle room to move the rack up towards the cab. Hope that helps, and let me know if you want other pics
No worries. If the brackets are located inside the bed as it looks in previous pic it looks like the 58 inch just fits. Thanks for the information!

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

Brad-F150, any updates positive or negative with the kbvoodoo rack?
Not really too much to report with the rack.

I went back around after driving with the tent for a while and just made sure all the nuts and bolts were tight, and so far so good.

Now I'm just figuring where and how I am going to mount everything to it, but that will probably take some trial and error to just figure out what works best for the trails, and for daily driving

Reactions: mjherron