2015 F-150 XLT 4x4, and new to the forums

• HTML tutorial

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

Hey everyone. I just signed up on the forum a couple days ago and figured I would post what I'm working with, and try to connect with some other F-150 guys.

She came as a black '15 XLT 4x4 with rear locker and 3.55 gears. I have gradually added a few things:
- Spray in Line-X bed liner
- Undercover Flex bed cover
- 18 inch Method Roost wheels w/ 275/70/18 BFG KO2's
- Icon 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks
- Total Chaos Fabrication upper control arms
- RCI skid plates
- Flowmaster HD50 series
- Morimoto XB headlights
- Some other random stuff like tailgate dampener and interior mods

I just pre-ordered the new iKamper X-cover tent, and am still deciding on the bed rack that I want. Also figuring out how I am going to be adding lights and communications for trips with groups. Then hopefully a bunch of other stuff in the future as I learn and do more.

I don't really have many pictures of the truck, especially before, but here's one...

bike.jpg

Then here's an almost up to date picture of her from a trip to Utah last fall..

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Very nice!

Did you have the Icons custom valved? Seems people either love or hate them for riding to rough at slow speeds unless the valve them softer or have the adjustable versions.

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

Very nice!

Did you have the Icons custom valved? Seems people either love or hate them for riding to rough at slow speeds unless the valve them softer or have the adjustable versions.
Thanks Man!
No custom valving and they aren't the adjustables. I'm not picky/maybe educated enough to need more than what came out of the box. They were a huge improvement over the stock suspension, but the ride is definitely more firm. I have had them on everything from sand, washboards, slow rocky trails, and obviously the street, and love them. But I also have never expected my trucks to ride like Cadillacs.

unnamed (3).jpg

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Hey everyone. I just signed up on the forum a couple days ago and figured I would post what I'm working with, and try to connect with some other F-150 guys.

She came as a black '15 XLT 4x4 with rear locker and 3.55 gears. I have gradually added a few things:
- Spray in Line-X bed liner
- Undercover Flex bed cover
- 18 inch Method Roost wheels w/ 275/70/18 BFG KO2's
- Icon 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks
- Total Chaos Fabrication upper control arms
- RCI skid plates
- Flowmaster HD50 series
- Morimoto XB headlights
- Some other random stuff like tailgate dampener and interior mods

I just pre-ordered the new iKamper X-cover tent, and am still deciding on the bed rack that I want. Also figuring out how I am going to be adding lights and communications for trips with groups. Then hopefully a bunch of other stuff in the future as I learn and do more.

I don't really have many pictures of the truck, especially before, but here's one...

View attachment 89895

Then here's an almost up to date picture of her from a trip to Utah last fall..

View attachment 89896
Brad-150, welcome to Overland Bound. I too have an F150 2017 that I plan on building out this year. Look forward to the other things you have planned. Looks good so far!

Reactions: Brad-150

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Welcome tot he forum! I have a 15 F150 as well. Check out my build in my signature and give me some feedback. I’m very happy with my comms, check that out.

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

Thanks guys!

I will definitely be checking out your rigs and am always looking for more ideas.

I recently found a bed rack from KB Voodoo called Max Modular that has brackets that allow it to work with my bed cover still on, and that will probably be the next add. Gotta have a spot for my X-cover tent coming this summer!

Here's a pic of it on a Tundra, but mine won't include the slide out tray. It will be the same 10 inch version in the picture

10+inch+ALU+Max+Rack-4.jpg

Reactions: mjherron

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Thanks guys!

I will definitely be checking out your rigs and am always looking for more ideas.

I recently found a bed rack from KB Voodoo called Max Modular that has brackets that allow it to work with my bed cover still on, and that will probably be the next add. Gotta have a spot for my X-cover tent coming this summer!

Here's a pic of it on a Tundra, but mine won't include the slide out tray. It will be the same 10 inch version in the picture

View attachment 90421
Been looking at KB Voodo as well.

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

Been looking at KB Voodo as well.
Yea, it's the only one that I have found that is made to work with a bed cover, and I have looked a TON haha. I am going to order the test bracket and see if it works with my specific cover, the Undercover Flex. I don't want to lose the functionality of my bed cover, and be able to keep things securely locked and dry while I'm using the rack.

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

Nice truck you got there!

I'm not an F-150 guy, I'm a RAM man but still like to see what some of the other full size folks are putting together.

I also have the X-Cover on pre-order and went with the KB Voodoo rack system with the tonneau cover brackets and RetraxONE MX cover. For the rack I was wanting to retain the rear window visibility but also have the tent mostly below the roofline. at 10" tall the tent should only be about 3" above the roofline. My original cover was a tri fold so I upgraded while these were on sale. I chose this one because it was lockable, manual operation (no springs to break), rolls smooth on ball bearings and a decent price, as compared to similar style covers anyway.

So far I'm happy with the setup. Looking forward to some spring camping, even without the RTT lol.

MVIMG_20190325_170942.jpg

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

I'm not an F-150 guy, I'm a RAM man but still like to see what some of the other full size folks are putting together.

I also have the X-Cover on pre-order and went with the KB Voodoo rack system with the tonneau cover brackets and RetraxONE MX cover. For the rack I was wanting to retain the rear window visibility but also have the tent mostly below the roofline. at 10" tall the tent should only be about 3" above the roofline. My original cover was a tri fold so I upgraded while these were on sale. I chose this one because it was lockable, manual operation (no springs to break), rolls smooth on ball bearings and a decent price, as compared to similar style covers anyway.

So far I'm happy with the setup. Looking forward to some spring camping, even without the RTT lol.

View attachment 91243

Hey Jascra, great looking rig!

How are you liking the Voodoo? I am waiting for my test bracket to get here and make sure it works with my cover, but I'm pretty sure I won't have an issue.

I looked also at the Retrax when I was deciding on covers about 3.5 years ago, and I really liked them. Ultimately chose the Undercover based on price and that the canister for the Retrax makes it so I can't tie my motorcycle down without the rear tire being all the way on the tailgate. Otherwise I would have gotten the same one as you.

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

Hey Jascra, great looking rig!

How are you liking the Voodoo? I am waiting for my test bracket to get here and make sure it works with my cover, but I'm pretty sure I won't have an issue.

I looked also at the Retrax when I was deciding on covers about 3.5 years ago, and I really liked them. Ultimately chose the Undercover based on price and that the canister for the Retrax makes it so I can't tie my motorcycle down without the rear tire being all the way on the tailgate. Otherwise I would have gotten the same one as you.
I love the voodoo - I got the steel version since I'm less worried about the extra 30 lbs weight, I just wanted the strongest version. Maybe I'm just an old school v8 and steel kinda guy.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the bracket. You wont be able to open the cover the traditional way, you'll just have to slide it out instead.

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

View attachment 91243
Jascra, how are you liking the RetraxONE MX? I am looking at the XR version and attaching the KB Voodoo through the track system. Any issues with the LEXAN vs aluminum? Are there any wobble/buffeting issues with the cover while driving?

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

Jascra, how are you liking the RetraxONE MX? I am looking at the XR version and attaching the KB Voodoo through the track system. Any issues with the LEXAN vs aluminum? Are there any wobble/buffeting issues with the cover while driving?
I'm really liking it so far. There's little rattle when going over a bump but cruising the highway at 80 MPH its solid. I had a vinyl tri-fold previous and it flopped around like a fish on shore. I'd recommend this to anyone.

I'll be interested in seeing the Voodoo rack attached to the tonneau rails. How much weight are those rails rated for?

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

I'm really liking it so far. There's little rattle when going over a bump but cruising the highway at 80 MPH its solid. I had a vinyl tri-fold previous and it flopped around like a fish on shore. I'd recommend this to anyone.

I'll be interested in seeing the Voodoo rack attached to the tonneau rails. How much weight are those rails rated for?
Jascra, looking at how the t-slot rails are positioned on the bed rails, they are directly over them. So would assume it shouldn’t be much of an issue. There’s a pic of a white Chevy Colorado ZR2 on KB Voodoos website that did the same thing with a Pace Edwards Ultragroove.

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

Jascra, looking at how the t-slot rails are positioned on the bed rails, they are directly over them. So would assume it shouldn’t be much of an issue. There’s a pic of a white Chevy Colorado ZR2 on KB Voodoos website that did the same thing with a Pace Edwards Ultragroove.
Gotcha - that's great idea. Can't wait to see it!