2008 Tacoma TRD Sport AKA; "Tamara_The_Tacoma"

• HTML tutorial

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

What had happened was:

This was a build that I was not “planning” on. At the time this project presented itself I had a pretty sorted out 2001 4-runner named Nelly that I loved.

But when a close friend told me that he was going to send this 2008 Tacoma to the junk yard I could not resist the temptation.

You see my friend that sold me this truck had blown the motor up when driving home one summer day from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. The belt went and well, you can assume the rest.

When the truck was towed to my house it had no hart and what was left of the hart was in the bed of the truck collecting rust. Time to build a...

The Plan:

I wanted a reliable truck that cold take me off the grid. Could support me in my field for work (Camera Ops), surfing missions, and occasional pit support for friends who race in Baja and here in the states.

I also wanted the vehicle to perform well at speed with all of the “Overlanding" creature comforts.

You see I have had and built a few pre-runners in my day. I wanted the performance of a pre-runner without fiberglas fenders. It appears that a lot of humans in this space now want the same.

After a quick call to the Brothers Brenthel and TJ @ Baja Kits the plan was set in motion.

The only thing that is bothering me about this platform is the lack of 4 wheel drive.. So That is something that I plan on tackling with the help of Wyatt of Rock Solid Toys. The transfer case is built so I am slowly buying and putting together all of the parts that I will need for the full transformation.

ARMOR:
  • PelferyBilt Front Aluminum bumper with full upper hoops, 20 inch LED cut out and Fog Light cut outs, powered coated
  • PelfreyBilt Tacoma High Clearance rear bumper, Gate with Rotopax mounts, High lift mouth, and fold down table powder coated
  • PelfreyBilt IFS skid
  • PelfreyBilt Gas Tank Skid
  • PelfreyBilt Mid Skid
  • PelfreyBilt Rear Skid
  • *All Aluminum
  • PelfreyBilt weld on Rock sliders with kick out
FRONT SUSPENSION:
REAR SUSPENSION:
  • Baja Kits Rear Spring under kit
  • Deaver Custom made spring under pack for the 1000 lbs of extra weight
  • King OE Replacment 2.5 shock with remote res.
  • King 2.0 4” travel hydraulic bump stop
  • Gusseted rear axle housing and 4.88 gears E-locked By; DC Shock services
  • 1.25 spider tracks spacers
OVERLAND GEAR:
  • Truck Vautl 7’ system with locking drawers
  • ARE custom made shell, dual sliding wind doors, internal support for extra roof loads
  • Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, custom setup for access cab front
  • Rhino Rack’s Foxwing Awning
  • ARB 50qt fridge
RECOVERY:
  • WARN 9.5CTI
  • WARN Spydura Synthetic Rope
  • Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead 1.0
  • Factor 55 Shackle mount
  • Snatch block, and tow strap, chains
WHEELS / TIRES:
  • BFG KO2 35x12.5 R17
  • 17 inch NV Method Race wheels with Fux bead lock. (had Bead locks on the 4-runner and they leaked a LOT)
LIGHTING:
  • 20" Ridgid SR2 Combo light in front bumper
  • 2x Ridgid amber lights in from bumper
  • 1 4" rear Ridgid singe row amber
  • 2 Ridgid back up lights
  • 6 Ridgid rock lights, 1 on each wheel, 1 under the hood, and 1 under the awning
  • 3x R-46 behind grill. 1 spot two flood
MISC:
  • Overland bound member 3907
  • 4x4 “swap” coming soon!
  • Rock Solid Toys built manual shifting transfer case
  • 4.88 front differential
  • VIAIR Constant Duty onboard air system with 2.5 Gallon tank
  • Dual batterie setup (custom built)
  • Fridge plug in access cab and shell so it can be moved around
  • Switch Pro 8 switch module. LOVE IT!

Coning soon:
  • HAM radio and Amateur license (March)
  • Garmin GPS hard mounted
  • Solar panel
  • Maxtrax
  • 4x4 conversion
  • Lots of tools, tools for tools...
As she sat:

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

My friends from DC shock services helped me with the install of everything. The idea was exactly that, a bit of a sleeper!

the front and rear fenders where cut 3 inches and the flairs cut 2.5 inches. Everything cycles perfectly. I did have to make some custom clips for the flairs though, they did pop off a lot at first.

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Some of the pics from the beginning :

Sourcing a motor was easy, just called Mike over at California Mini Truck Dismantlers in Pomona CA.
http://www.calminitruck.com (Shamless plug)
Hoenstly Ron, and Mike are a dream to work with and can find you ANYTHING for Toyotas. Really good humans

This was one of the easiest plug and play motor installs that I have ever done. It was so simple, and after adding fluids it started right up! A few of the benefits of having to put this motor in are I am now very comfortable working on it, and I have a complete set of good spares! Hoses, hardware, sensors, coil packs, and thermostat.

Last edited:

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

After I got the truck running the next thing was to give it a good deep cleaning and start installing some of the goodies that have been piling up.

As you can see it was pretty filthy:

Now the fun part! after a solid cleaning, I installed the Wet Okole seat covers. These things were a tight fit and are so nice!

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Been checking out your photos on Instagram for awhile and then stumbled on this, great looking rig! Looking forward to seeing what all went into it so far.

Reactions: Rob2thec

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

So much yessssss! Outstanding work. Speak to me about the fender flair clips. I foresee lots of cutting in the future.

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

So much yessssss! Outstanding work. Speak to me about the fender flair clips. I foresee lots of cutting in the future.
The clips are a PITA! Buy a lot of them lol. I plan on doing away with the clips and using body washers and boots when I get the truck to me in VA.

They pop off on the rear lower corners when wheeling but not dude to rubbing more to do with vibration.
IMG_8393.JPG

Also be careful when cutting! Lol

**This message is sent from my potentially cancer causing, anxiety inducing mobile device. Please excuse typos, big fingers little letters...**

Reactions: blkzilla

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Party People Finally Some Updates!

My Friend Aaron has been working on the electrical systems.

Switch Pro system set up

Battery switch

Rock lights installed

Under hood work light

Front and rear power point

Compressor mounted and ready for plumbing

Most importantly:

#3907!

The truck is being loaded up with all of my fun gear, parts that still need to be installed, and shipped to me in VA so that I can get to work on her myself and start exploring the east coast. If any of you are in the VA Beach area or nearby and want to go wheeling hit me up!! Id love to meet some other members.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Party People Finally Some Updates!

My Friend Aaron has been working on the electrical systems.

Switch Pro system set up

Battery switch

Rock lights installed

Under hood work light

Front and rear power point

Compressor mounted and ready for plumbing

Most importantly:

#3907!

The truck is being loaded up with all of my fun gear, parts that still need to be installed, and shipped to me in VA so that I can get to work on her myself and start exploring the east coast. If any of you are in the VA Beach area or nearby and want to go wheeling hit me up!! Id love to meet some other members.

Ill be down that way during the spring and summer on trips! Ill be sure to drop a line your way!

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Very cool series of circumstances that brought you to this build. Really like how it's coming out.

Have fun in VA, drink lots of O'CONNOR and Reaver Beach brewing!

Maybe I'll spot you on a set when you're back in LA!

-CP TACO
OB #2376