2007 GMC Sierra NNBS Build (slowly but surely)

• HTML tutorial

Thatcajunguy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mandeville, LA, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Long
Member #

Starting out my rig with my daily, GMC Sierra 1500 with the Z71 off road package. Only pictures I have right now, as I work on the road.

So far it has the following done:

•Rough Country 3.5" level
(soon to be removed and upgraded)
•Camburg Racing UCA's
•ici Magnum front and rear RT bumpers
•Wilco Offroad TireGate RS Series
•18x9 Fuel Wheels
•35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
•Cheap LED's that get the job done right now
*30" behind the grill
*Pods mounted in bumper

On the Way (purchased but not installed)

• 2" aluminum pipe to custom fab bed rack
(Bye-bye tool box)
• SPod SE 8 circuit switch panel
•18x9 Method Racing Wheels
•Complete on board air system
*8 Gallon Alluminum Tank
*2 1.75 cfm Compressors
*Nathan P3 horns
*Air tools

In The Future:

•CVT Mt. Shasta
•Upgraded Suspension???***
•Custom Skid Plate
•Custom Winch Mount (front and rear)
•Recovery Gear
• many more items

NEED HELP!!
Need to know what kind of suspension setup to run, if you can help it will be greatly appreciated!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

Icon Vehicle Dynamics are a very well respected outfit that should meet all your needs if you don't need anymore height. They have quite a few levels of options.
http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/412-2007-up-chevy-gmc-1500-truck

If you need height there are 4 and 6 inch kits out there that will git er done. BDS, Skyjacker, Rough Country are a few. Downside is, most reuse your stock suspension and just add spacers and drop brackets everywhere.

Looks good! I'm glad to see there are some folks out there running full size rigs. You are miles ahead of my F150.

Reactions: Thatcajunguy

Thatcajunguy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mandeville, LA, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Long
Member #

SOS Louisiana..

As I work out of state, my truck sits in the office warehouse, waiting on my return. I got the news earlier that all of Hammond, LA is under water and the office is up to its door knobs. I have some friends going to check on the warehouse area behind the office (which is a little higher in elevation) to check how bad it truly is. Expecting the worse, but hoping for the best. Hopefully don't have to put an end to build. I'll keep posted as I find out results.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

One thing i would look into would be a custom/ lift leaf pack instead of just using lift blocks. I personally like deaver springs. I had a set made for my 01 2500 that i wheeled alot. I loved the pack they built for it and was very reasonable price point as well. I ran a lift block in the rear for a long time on many different vehicles, but they day i was in the middle of a run miles from the road and a lift block slipped and really messed things up i ditched it as fast as i could. I would say something to look into. My roommate just recently got a set from them for his frontier and it was about 650 for the setup he got. They are very knowledgeable and will talk to you for hours on the phone to make sure that you get exactly what you are looking for. Just my .02 for suspension

Thatcajunguy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mandeville, LA, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Long
Member #

One thing i would look into would be a custom/ lift leaf pack instead of just using lift blocks. I personally like deaver springs. I had a set made for my 01 2500 that i wheeled alot. I loved the pack they built for it and was very reasonable price point as well. I ran a lift block in the rear for a long time on many different vehicles, but they day i was in the middle of a run miles from the road and a lift block slipped and really messed things up i ditched it as fast as i could. I would say something to look into. My roommate just recently got a set from them for his frontier and it was about 650 for the setup he got. They are very knowledgeable and will talk to you for hours on the phone to make sure that you get exactly what you are looking for. Just my .02 for suspension
Believe it or not, I actually had that problem with a 2" block in the rear. The whole axle shifted and busted up my driver side rear fender. That was the first time I put my hi-lift jack to use! Lifted up the truck, put a solid chunk of a pine underneith the frame, pulled the axle forward with the jack and off we went!

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Believe it or not, I actually had that problem with a 2" block in the rear. The whole axle shifted and busted up my driver side rear fender. That was the first time I put my hi-lift jack to use! Lifted up the truck, put a solid chunk of a pine underneith the frame, pulled the axle forward with the jack and off we went!
Ya i had 4" ones and did alot of damage. Lesson learned for sure and won't go back lol

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

How does a 6" drop work without the diff drop? I figured the CV angles and the pinion angles would be way off and start breaking stuff.

TXbenchRacer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

argyle texas 76226
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Rakoci
Member #

they go up to 5.5 inch with no diff drop using spindles the six-inch has a slight drop but much less then most

If you don't plan on going above 35's then the Cognito kit with the spindles is a quick easy one with good on road characteristics.

Thatcajunguy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mandeville, LA, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Long
Member #

Check out Cognito they do up to a 6 inch lift with no dif drop. [emoji58] wish I would have gone with them...
I'm going to have to look into that... I ran this 3" level for about 4 months without a diff drop (because someone said it was okay) and I went through 2 sets of cv's. Both times not even engaging 4wd!

Also, sweet truck man! Really liking that snorkel! If you don't mind me asking; What brand is that? Also, how difficult was it to install??

Thatcajunguy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mandeville, LA, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Long
Member #

image.jpeg I'm home for one week before I have to head back to work. The flood waters didn't get in the cab, just a little over halfway up the wheels, Lucky me! I have a lot of installs to do, but for now I'm having the great debate on where to put these?!

Reactions: Steve

TXbenchRacer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

argyle texas 76226
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Rakoci
Member #

Thanks the snorkel is a air flow I picked it up from http://snorkels.mobile034.com/p/8961820/airflow-snorkel-kit-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra.html

Install was a little harder as it's meant for a Chevrolet so I had to make up a small spacer for the front edge also I am not running the factory airbox I'm running the banks so I had to make up a block off plate for the lower part of the banks and I had to use a different hose to connect the two. But as far as getting the snorkel fit to the truck they send along a template to place the mounting holes in the correct location.
I would highly recommend covering the area underneath the snorkel with a clear 3M film as the snorkel just in general driving will rub the paint to bare metal of course promoting some rust.

I've got a friend who did the cognito kit a few weeks after I did my 6inch drop kit he's been on 35's for 7 or 8 years now lots of miles both neither of us have had cv issues we are both 2500hd

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

I've got a BDS 6", put it on in 2007. Until now no issues. Two of the BDS shocks now have blown seals, so I'm getting Bilsteins and replacing the rear leafs+ blocks with sky jacker lift springs. BDS kits now come with FOX shocks, and you can order the lift springs as an upgrade in the kit. Consider upgrading the tie rods, they've busted twice on me (07 k2500HD classic).

Thatcajunguy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mandeville, LA, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Long
Member #

Looks good. I haven't put mine on yet. I was thing of putting them on top of the 2500HD. The fender looks good too.
Yeah I de-badged mine a while back, so it would look kinda funny by itself there! But it would definitely look good there. Nice truck by the way, there aren't too many people with full size pick-ups on this forum

Reactions: SlashX