2006 Xterra Off Road Build

• HTML tutorial

Pitdog556

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lewes Delaware
Member #

I know in the grand scheme of things the Radio is not the most important in your awesome Project, but what type of radio are you going with that offers all of those features? I am going to upgrade my radio in my JK. When you said HAM capabilities I was hooked. What radio are you going with?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Brooke and TerryD

Broncsqwatch

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Marcos, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Briggs
Member #

I really like your ideas. I think your build will be great for what you're doing.
I may get some flak for suggesting this but if you are on a budget. I would suggest looking into Doetsch Tech shocks. I have run them on my rock crawler and my current Toyota FJ80 with a 3" lift. In my opinion they are they best bang for your buck. They build their own shocks all kinds of off road applications. Very strong, long lasting and durable, Check them out. Looking forward to seeing how your build goes. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Brooke and Stone74

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

Definitely going to be watching this.

I really appreciate how much thought is going into your build. It would be easy to just slap gear on, but you're doing a great job of looking at budget and what you will be doing with your rig. Simple and purposeful.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I look forward to watching this, and hopefully stealing an idea or two! Couple things:
1. The MaxGear bumper is 75# by itself; add the swingout and jerry can carrier and it's another 50# plus I think. Either way, it's a great bumper.
2. Make sure you have a nice long breaker bar to get the existing bumper bolts off. Suckers are TIGHT!
3. I'm also curious about the radio you installed w/ HAM capabilities...

Good luck and post pics!

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I know in the grand scheme of things the Radio is not the most important in your awesome Project, but what type of radio are you going with that offers all of those features? I am going to upgrade my radio in my JK. When you said HAM capabilities I was hooked. What radio are you going with?
I bought my android head unit from a company called Joying (2gb Sofia unit). It has 2 USB in ports to hook up just about anything you'd like. Pick up a little UHF/VHF dongle with the RTL2832U chip (they cost about 15$ on Amazon) and download the SDR Touch App. It does not support broadcast, there might be a way to get a chipset that will let you broadcast but then you are using your stereo for too many things. I am still going to pick up an external radio for communications.

Joying makes a cool head unit. Its a little complicated to setup, but the support is pretty good. They make an effort to reply to emails. But if you don't like configuring electronics/computers/android phones this head unit might not be for you.

@BillyBadly the Car Camper

Last edited:

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

So have you done any more exploring with it? :smiley:
I try to go out every weekend. Either I go out exploring or I am at my mechanics house doing work and learning how to do my own maintenance and repairs. So far I've done the Pony Express (Nevada, not the whole thing) to Fort Churchhill. Some random dirt roads that took me out to some old cowboy settlements. I drove out to a military vehicle testing site and watched those guys off road (pretty awesome!). I've done some exploring up around Boca Reservoir. Emigrant Trail/Jungo Road. And just this last weekend I accidently got into some rock crawling out at Barney Riley. I have 11 days of vacation at the end of August and was hoping to do a long trip, perhaps a BDR route or the Lost Coast.

The weekends I've been in the shop I've replaced my timing chain and tensioners. Replaced the catalytic converter. Replaced all the hoses, spark plugs, and fluids. And installed my nav/stereo system. :)

Really loving it!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I try to go out every weekend. Either I go out exploring or I am at my mechanics house doing work and learning how to do my own maintenance and repairs. So far I've done the Pony Express (Nevada, not the whole thing) to Fort Churchhill. Some random dirt roads that took me out to some old cowboy settlements. I drove out to a military vehicle testing site and watched those guys off road (pretty awesome!). I've done some exploring up around Boca Reservoir. Emigrant Trail/Jungo Road. And just this last weekend I accidently got into some rock crawling out at Barney Riley. I have 11 days of vacation at the end of August and was hoping to do a long trip, perhaps a BDR route or the Lost Coast.

The weekends I've been in the shop I've replaced my timing chain and tensioners. Replaced the catalytic converter. Replaced all the hoses, spark plugs, and fluids. And installed my nav/stereo system. :)

Really loving it!
Sounds like you have ben getting out a lot, nice. All good maintenance items to get replace before they break in the field on you.
Keep up the posts to a very interesting build.

shadow

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Sounds like a great build plan! Cant wait to see the storage system.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Brooke

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Sounds like a great build plan! Cant wait to see the storage system./QUOTE]

Me either~ I've never really built anything more complicated than a table. I'm hoping that I can make full use of the local maker space's laser cutter and just have it cut out all the pieces so I just have to assemble them... and I might recruit some local expert help :)

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@Shane sure do! It's right here. Feel free to download and modify. This sheet was the original, I've since made some changes to my plan. I'm still going back and forth of the roof top tent... I kinda want it because I end up camping alone quite a bit, and being up off the ground is a nice feeling of security...but I guess I'll cross that when I get there.

Ordering the suspension, tires, and upgrading my brakes in November! Starting on the storage system soon! And considering going with a winch mount until I can get the money together for the full steel bumper. Something like whats below :)