2006 Xterra Off Road Build

• HTML tutorial

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Here is my plan for my 2006 Xterra Build. If I can stop breaking things long enough to move on to the build phase...

For my purposes I want something that I can eventually drive to Alaska. I want to enjoy moderate trails, nothing as intense as the Rubicon. I have a vision for my build to keep things looking clean. I want to kind of keep a "stock" look, for example, as I install switches for light bars and such, those switches will be the same as the OEM push switches that came with the vehicle, matching color, size, etc. So some of my equipment choices may reflect this objective. So far I have installed an in-dash android head unit that runs my nav. It can also do phone calls, music, HAM Radio (via SDR), and just about anything else that an android phone can do. It also connects via bluetooth to my OBD Port and gives me live readings and diagnostics. And this weekend I'm installing an ARB diff cover.

I also carry a set of traction pads, air compressor, fire extinguisher, shovel, axe, saw, and .308 just to be safe.

Anyways, on with the posting.

My X

Nav installed

Next stage will be a 2.5" OME lift kit.

Then it's onto the bumpers. I know the Shrockworks bumper is the "best" bumper for the Xterra, but it doesn't really fit with the look I'm going for so I'm opting for the ARB Deluxe Bumper.

I plan on throwing on a Smittybuilt 10,000lb synthetic line winch onto this bumper. (damn Warn, you expensive!)

For the rear bumper, I'm going for the MaxxTerra rear bumper. I looked around a lot, but it was hard to find one that would support a carriage for gas jerrys, something I'm sure I'll need on my trip to Alaska. The guy who makes them is a fellow Xterra owner and I'll be happy to dawn one of his bumpers on my X. It's weight is surprisingly low (75lbs).

I'll also be picking up a pair of sliders from Maxxtera unless I can find a used pair elsewhere.

Other than that I'd like to have a different roof rack. I can't quite swallow the price tag on the Gobi Stealth/Ranger racks... but I sure wish I could have one. Again, if anyone knows where I can get a used one let me know.

For tires I was going to do a set of BFG KO2’s 285/75/16.

And then the rest of the mods/upgrades for outside the vehicle...
Differential Breathers
Gorrilla Airflow Snorkel
40" LED Rooftop light bar
x2 rectanglar flood lights for the bull bar (not sure what brand or size yet, or even if they will be amber or white)
Backup camera
Dash Cam
ARB CKMA24 On-board Air Compressor (under the hood)

Then moving on to internal stuff.

There isn't really an "out of the box" storage system for the Xterra, at least, not any that I like, or can afford. So I designed my own and am planning on building that. Here is what it will look like. I don't have all the details such as the latches shown here, but the top 2 drawers will be locking. And there is a gap at the bottom to hold a camp table. Only the bottom two drawers (fridge, and stove/sink) will be on locking slides. If your interested in a drawer system for your X and you like my design, PM me and I'll shoot ya over the CAD files.

I've designed it to hold:
Whynter FM-65G 65-Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer
Camp Chef MS2HP Mountain Camping Series Outdoor Cooking 2 Burner Hiigh Pressure Camp Stove
Custom built collapsible electric sink
Lifetime 4428 Height Adjustable Folding Utility Table
Cutting board
Scepter Military Grade Water Cans (Blue, 2.5 Gal (10L)
And misc tools/parts/recovery equipment etc.

As for my camp setup. I thought pretty hard about shelter. I wanted something quick and easy - initially I was really into the roof top tents. But as I researched them more, I realized there were significant drawbacks. One of which is when I'm not using it, where the heck am I going to store it - and OMG they are heavy I can't imagine taking that off by myself. I also had concerns about it taking up a lot of roof space, and the weight contributing to a roll over factor. Then there was the weight restrictions on them and a lack of space...and finally the price. As cool and convenient as they are, I don't think they will work for me. So I am opting for the Oz Tent. They are quick, weigh less, and take up less space. Plus. I can have a cot, table, chair, shade, and friends inside!

Also... they make for a really neat looking base camp!

And I think that's about it for me. There are some odds and ends here and there. But nothing worth getting into too much detail about. Things like awnings, shower systems, comms, and nitty gritty recovery gear and trash management.

I expect to be building from now until next summer. It's a lot of stuff to buy. My budget, is @ $7,667.00 for every item, not including the drawer system. I'd love to find used equipment if anyone has stuff for an Xterra.

Thanks for reading about my build!! :D

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looks like a solid plan. You might want to check into using a set of the Bilstein 5100s with Alcan rear springs instead of the OME kit. I think long term, that setup might stand up better for you. The OME springs don't seem to live very long under the second gen Xterras.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together!

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Not sure if the ome bp51's are available for the Xterra but I would look into the as they are step up from their normal shock and spring options but have a ton of added adjustability and because they are a larger diameter shock they will have better dampening over rougher terrain then the standard ome shocks

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Looks like a solid plan. You might want to check into using a set of the Bilstein 5100s with Alcan rear springs instead of the OME kit. I think long term, that setup might stand up better for you. The OME springs don't seem to live very long under the second gen Xterras.
Haha, yeah I wish I could afford Alcan rear leafs.... they are $858.70 for just the leafs!! I know they are amazing. I'm operating on somewhat of a budget. The OME's are $1 567.73 for everything. I have Bilstein 5100's on there now, but they look pretty old, not sure when they were installed.

@darthyota the bp51's look freakin awesome. They aren't available for the X, and are substantially out of my budget ($3,756.00 USD). I mean, it's hard to make a suspension look "cool" but the bp-51's look great and the performance on them has got to be top of the line. If OME is looking for a demo rig, sign me up!!

Reactions: maxfederle89

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Haha, yeah I wish I could afford Alcan rear leafs.... they are $858.70 for just the leafs!! I know they are amazing. I'm operating on somewhat of a budget. The OME's are $1 567.73 for everything. I have Bilstein 5100's on there now, but they look pretty old, not sure when they were installed.

@darthyota the bp51's look freakin awesome. They aren't available for the X, and are substantially out of my budget ($3,756.00 USD). I mean, it's hard to make a suspension look "cool" but the bp-51's look great and the performance on them has got to be top of the line. If OME is looking for a demo rig, sign me up!!
Call them. I friend of mine got the first set for the Lexus GX platform. He cannot confirm or deny a discount. IMG_0042.JPGBP51's are incredible.

Reactions: Brooke

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

@darthyota the bp51's look freakin awesome. They aren't available for the X, and are substantially out of my budget ($3,756.00 USD). I mean, it's hard to make a suspension look "cool" but the bp-51's look great and the perforamance on them has got to be top of the line. If OME is looking for a demo rig, sign me up!!
You could aways offer that to ARB but there are other options out there both King and Fox offer bolt in 0-2" coilovers for the Xterra/Frontier (same platform). Also plan to do a set of upper control arms to maintain proper alignment with the added height of what ever option you choose to go with.

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

You could aways offer that to ARB but there are other options out there both King and Fox offer bolt in 0-2" coilovers for the Xterra/Frontier (same platform). Also plan to do a set of upper control arms to maintain proper alignment with the added height of what ever option you choose to go with.
Yeah I was looking at the Nisstec option for a while, still kinda comparing it. I haven't checked out Fox... I heard bad things about the King kits over @ thenewx. I like what @Justin Forrest suggested.... call up ARB? and tell them I'm building an awesome Xterra and would love to rock their shocks!

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Sounds like a great plan Brooke! I met maxterra at goneMoab and wheeled with him a few times. Not only is his bumper the best IMHO but he is a super nice guy. I am hoping to get one before too long.

I have wheeled in the Reno area quite a few times.... you have some incredible trails there. Eldorado Canyon, Hunter Lake, Dogskin Mountain and Peavine are some of my favorites.

Make sure you post in the Xterra Registry thread.

Sub'd for updates.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

All peer pressure a side, ARB makes terrific products. I had an 07 X that I wanted to do all sorts of stuff to. I was a huge POS so I never did anything to it. In the realm of budget consciousness you can go on amazon and piece the lift together, you will save even more. I would get new 5100's over the nitrocharger shocks. I am also not a fan of nisstec. If you are looking for one stop shopping give Marie at Headstrong off-road a call. They are Toyota folks but I venture she would order you Nissan stuff. She is also extremely knowledgeable about all suspension components. http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/
She managed to save me like $500 off the price of my BP51's.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
You have a great plan and goals! I've been fascinated with Xterras for a long time. Even looked at a few of them. But I'm still a pickup guy so far. I'll be following your build though. Heck it might push into Xterra ownership [emoji16]

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

X2 on aftermarket upper control arms. You may have issues getting the camber set right and will have limited droop with the OME setup and stock arms which will limit the ride off road. When I had a 2.5" spacer lift on my Frontier it rode not great off road and the camber was never ideal.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
This looks like a great build. Good planning, you've thought a lot about this Brooke.
I am doing a soft build on a Subaru Outback that I am going to do an Alaska trip with leaving mid August of 2018. I am going to take about 45 days and leave from SoCal and just enjoy. Mostly exploring BC and the Yukon, with a minor detour into eastern Alaska.
Before that it will be OTG and a few more shake down runs locally or in the sierras.
Have been adding things slowly and just noticed I need to upgrade the springs as the weight is getting a little more than anticipated. If you are upgrading suspension, think about going to stiffer springs to carry all the weight that might be added in the future. A lot cheaper now the first time. My lift did not add new struts so I am now trying to save the money for some King springs front and rear that will go on the stock struts. This will add 25%-30% more spring rate to my OEM setup. Can still drive like this but sagging (pre-runner look) a little in the rear with all the gear in. Sags only about 1/2" right now but noticeable to me.

Last edited:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Yeah I put everything into an Excel sheet and broke it into phases. I like planning and researching. Very excited for the project. Hopefully suspension will be done in the next month!
I use a google spreadsheet and do the same. I have a tab for the pack list (camp gear) and another for vehicle mods and projects, another for maintenance records and part numbers. It is always evolving as I learn what works and what is needed for different trips.

Looks like it will be a great build.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here is my plan for my 2006 Xterra Build. If I can stop breaking things long enough to move on to the build phase...

For my purposes I want something that I can eventually drive to Alaska. I want to enjoy moderate trails, nothing as intense as the Rubicon. I have a vision for my build to keep things looking clean. I want to kind of keep a "stock" look, for example, as I install switches for light bars and such, those switches will be the same as the OEM push switches that came with the vehicle, matching color, size, etc. So some of my equipment choices may reflect this objective. So far I have installed an in-dash android head unit that runs my nav. It can also do phone calls, music, HAM Radio (via SDR), and just about anything else that an android phone can do. It also connects via bluetooth to my OBD Port and gives me live readings and diagnostics. And this weekend I'm installing an ARB diff cover.

I also carry a set of traction pads, air compressor, fire extinguisher, shovel, axe, saw, and .308 just to be safe.

Anyways, on with the posting.

My X

Nav installed

Next stage will be a 2.5" OME lift kit.

Then it's onto the bumpers. I know the Shrockworks bumper is the "best" bumper for the Xterra, but it doesn't really fit with the look I'm going for so I'm opting for the ARB Deluxe Bumper.

I plan on throwing on a Smittybuilt 10,000lb synthetic line winch onto this bumper. (damn Warn, you expensive!)

For the rear bumper, I'm going for the MaxxTerra rear bumper. I looked around a lot, but it was hard to find one that would support a carriage for gas jerrys, something I'm sure I'll need on my trip to Alaska. The guy who makes them is a fellow Xterra owner and I'll be happy to dawn one of his bumpers on my X. It's weight is surprisingly low (75lbs).

I'll also be picking up a pair of sliders from Maxxtera unless I can find a used pair elsewhere.

Other than that I'd like to have a different roof rack. I can't quite swallow the price tag on the Gobi Stealth/Ranger racks... but I sure wish I could have one. Again, if anyone knows where I can get a used one let me know.

For tires I was going to do a set of BFG KO2’s 285/75/16.

And then the rest of the mods/upgrades for outside the vehicle...
Differential Breathers
Gorrilla Airflow Snorkel
40" LED Rooftop light bar
x2 rectanglar flood lights for the bull bar (not sure what brand or size yet, or even if they will be amber or white)
Backup camera
Dash Cam
ARB CKMA24 On-board Air Compressor (under the hood)

Then moving on to internal stuff.

There isn't really an "out of the box" storage system for the Xterra, at least, not any that I like, or can afford. So I designed my own and am planning on building that. Here is what it will look like. I don't have all the details such as the latches shown here, but the top 2 drawers will be locking. And there is a gap at the bottom to hold a camp table. Only the bottom two drawers (fridge, and stove/sink) will be on locking slides. If your interested in a drawer system for your X and you like my design, PM me and I'll shoot ya over the CAD files.

I've designed it to hold:
Whynter FM-65G 65-Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer
Camp Chef MS2HP Mountain Camping Series Outdoor Cooking 2 Burner Hiigh Pressure Camp Stove
Custom built collapsible electric sink
Lifetime 4428 Height Adjustable Folding Utility Table
Cutting board
Scepter Military Grade Water Cans (Blue, 2.5 Gal (10L)
And misc tools/parts/recovery equipment etc.

As for my camp setup. I thought pretty hard about shelter. I wanted something quick and easy - initially I was really into the roof top tents. But as I researched them more, I realized there were significant drawbacks. One of which is when I'm not using it, where the heck am I going to store it - and OMG they are heavy I can't imagine taking that off by myself. I also had concerns about it taking up a lot of roof space, and the weight contributing to a roll over factor. Then there was the weight restrictions on them and a lack of space...and finally the price. As cool and convenient as they are, I don't think they will work for me. So I am opting for the Oz Tent. They are quick, weigh less, and take up less space. Plus. I can have a cot, table, chair, shade, and friends inside

Also... they make for a really neat looking base camp!

And I think that's about it for me. There are some odds and ends here and there. But nothing worth getting into too much detail about. Things like awnings, shower systems, comms, and nitty gritty recovery gear and trash management.

I expect to be building from now until next summer. It's a lot of stuff to buy. My budget, is @ $7,667.00 for every item, not including the drawer system. I'd love to find used equipment if anyone has stuff for an Xterra.

Thanks for reading about my build!! :D
Cool plan, @Brooke , and a clean plan, too. Well thought out, smart choices, wise decisions. You're going to be an interesting person to watch in how you approach things and how you handle the inevitable roadblocks along the way.

Dry roads and open skies, Brooke, hope to run across you out there somewhere someday.