2006 Xterra "Adventure Edition"

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Crud, sad I just saw this. One tip for using paint stripper is to mop it on and then cover it with plastic wrap so it stays wet. It helps to keep it wet so it can work longer before drying out.

Reactions: Rogue Beardsman

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Put down primer on the hood and my winch showed up today! So i slipped that it in. I got it wired up. I have the solinord box just temporarily mounted. Until i decided where i want to put it. I might extend the wires so i can put it under the hood. Not sure thats needed. Some time this week im going to go to my sisters property she has a log driveway with trees so i can get the winch line on there right and learn to use it. (First winch) Ill finish painting the hood this week. Might get some rain tomorrow. So ill wait.

Here is that gap i was talking about. I might be able to adjust it when i get some extra hands

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Put down primer on the hood and my winch showed up today! So i slipped that it in. I got it wired up. I have the solinord box just temporarily mounted. Until i decided where i want to put it. I might extend the wires so i can put it under the hood. Not sure thats needed. Some time this week im going to go to my sisters property she has a log driveway with trees so i can get the winch line on there right and learn to use it. (First winch) Ill finish painting the hood this week. Might get some rain tomorrow. So ill wait.

Here is that gap i was talking about. I might be able to adjust it when i get some extra hands

Damn you work fast! Great job on the rig!

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Got the hood painted. It didn't turn out the way i thought but it doesn't look bad so ill leave it for a while.

Next project on my list are to drill and re tap the skid plate holes for the stock skids. They all broke off last time i took them off. Never had to do this but ill give it a shot.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Okay. I haven't updated in a while. I moved to Death Valley CA. Moving to Death Valley(currently living in DV)

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/Moving-to-Death-Valley(currently-living-in-DV).6155/

Got to do some exploring and hopefully will do more soon. I blew a rear shock on my roadtrip and I'm having some high coolant temps. So I want to fix those and some other things before I hit any serious roads.
I have a set of radflos on the rear now. They said my blown one can be rebuilt for 55 and the cost of the new parts. The shearer valve broke on mine. Sucks. I also asked if I would be able to add on a remote reservoir. They said yes! 130 each. So I might do that. For now I ordered a pair of bilstiens to put on and while I save and fix the radflos then when the radflos come back I'll have a back up set to swap out for rebuilds.
The bilstiens came in yesterday but its over 100 degrees out so I'm going to wait until night. It will still be really hot but not sunny or next time I go to a cooler place to camp or town I'll switch things out. I'm probably going to order a new radiator and I need to replace my u joints too. I think I'll just order everything and replace it all somewhere cooler.

Now pictures

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I have some parts ordered and I'm starting to get them in.

I just got a new radiator
Its shiny.

Im changing out a lot of the cooling system.
Its been running hot and there are a lot of steep roads here and I always have to pull over and let it cool.
Its also starting to be 110 degrees or more now. So I figure I'll make sure its all working right. Everything in there is ten years old so I'm going to replace all the hoses and such.

I'm not allowed to do it here because I live in a national park. So I'll have to find a place near by to go and do it. Or sneakily do it somewhere.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I've gone to a twin Derale fan setup triggered off the computer. Very nice for low range/low speed/high ambient temp ops.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I've gone to a twin Derale fan setup triggered off the computer. Very nice for low range/low speed/high ambient temp ops.
I was looking at something similar but its a bit pricy for me right now.

Its 110 degrees right now. I was just out driving and once the fluids get hot it's hard to bring them down. The coolant is at about 200 degrees normally and if I hit any kind of incline out here it will climb until about 225. Then I pull over to let it cool. I try not to let it get over 230. I wanna say the check engine light comes on at 240?

Everything seems to work okay fans, thermostat, pump. The coolant is old and the radiator was a cheap replacement a few years ago. So I'm hoping with a new rad and new coolant it will be a bit more manageable.
Also then I can loop back in the trans so that will cool better.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Tonight when it's not 110 degrees I'm going to check my u joints. I can hear them making noise. Its gotten worse the last few days. I was going to order them and just change them all out. Has anyone done this themselves? I've never tried to change a i joint. I looked up a right up on the newx. I was going to give it a shot.

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

I had the same cooling system issues on my 04 supercharged Frontier, thought it was a radiator issue because it would only start to run hot if I were driving I70 up in the Rocky Mountains, would run fine in town. I installed a Koyo R32 Skyline GTR radiator in the truck. Still would overheat going up hill. Ended up being a head gasket. Replaced the head gaskets and did a T-belt service at same time. After that it ran at operating temps all day with no problem.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Got my CSF radiator installed!
The rig runs cooler now still climbs pretty hot but only when going up hills.

It was 120 yesterday and took an off-road trail through Titus canyon in Death Valley. Didn't go over 200. I was going pretty slow and enjoying the scenery so the hill climbed weren't that bad at all.
its shiny