Northern Virginia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whitney
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Wow... very nicely done! Can you give an estimate on Total Cost of Ownership?
Initial vehicle cost + mods?

miguel_fzj80

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Arevalo
Member #

Totally worth it . Awesome result. My brother just brought one . year 2000 and he will slowly start on it’s transformation, 215k for $5,500 OME 2.5 suspensions. I feel like the first mod should be a full roof rack! What would you recommend?

Harmz32

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Ahrens
Member #

Totally worth it . Awesome result. My brother just brought one . year 2000 and he will slowly start on it’s transformation, 215k for $5,500 OME 2.5 suspensions. I feel like the first mod should be a full roof rack! What would you recommend?
Honestly I just started myself. a rack is nice the OME suspension is awesome. I’ll let you know once we start traveling next month.

whitneysc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whitney
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I'd recommend bumpers (with winch) and sliders. Totally changes the approach angels and clearance. This is my O6 at Overland Expo - East in 2018 . These are Dissent Bumpers20181111_081144.jpg105922

Harmz32

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Ahrens
Member #

Well she shipped out two weeks ago even though we dropped her off in July. She might not be here until after thanksgiving but we are keeping our fingers crossed that she gets here safe and quick. The pics are the last I took before dropping her off.
IMG_4736.JPGIMG_4806.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Nice build mate. How does it look inside? Did you prep the interior?

I've just finished a build on an 80 series. Took a year and $30K. First thing was the drive train. 1HDFT/H151 turbo diesel and register it in CA, so no smog requirements. It also gets 25 mpg, instead of 11. There second stage was the interior. We built a camper for two people. It has a built in kitchen, and an outdoor shower. 9 gallons of hot water/9 cold water under the vehicle. The hot water heats up with a heat exchange with the engine using the plumbing of the rear heater and a circulating pump. Took it to AK on a 8K miles trip and we lived in it for 30 days. Next trip is the Silk Road crossing Asia in 2021. Here is the link to the 6 chapters build if anyone is interested...

Harmz32

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Ahrens
Member #

Nice build mate. How does it look inside? Did you prep the interior?

I've just finished a build on an 80 series. Took a year and $30K. First thing was the drive train. 1HDFT/H151 turbo diesel and register it in CA, so no smog requirements. It also gets 25 mpg, instead of 11. There second stage was the interior. We built a camper for two people. It has a built in kitchen, and an outdoor shower. 9 gallons of hot water/9 cold water under the vehicle. The hot water heats up with a heat exchange with the engine using the plumbing of the rear heater and a circulating pump. Took it to AK on a 8K miles trip and we lived in it for 30 days. Next trip is the Silk Road crossing Asia in 2021. Here is the link to the 6 chapters build if anyone is interested...

The interior is almost spotless. I will post some pics when she gets here.

Your build sounds awesome I’m definitely going to check it out. Sounds like some great adventures as well.