KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
Starting to get the rig ready for some camping coming up soon in September. Will be pretty specific, but nothing over the top since I'm limited in where I can go. But Mostly will be setup for a few nights at a time. Backpacking. camping, hiking, caving. Love to head to New Mexico for caving trips, mountain biking etc. The rig will be setup for 2 people typically but in the future will build a small trailer to help support camping with my wife and three daughters.

Next posts will start to share my ideas and build plans, but I'm always looking for more inspiration. We'll see how it goes.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Best of luck with your build - I look forward to seeing the progress.

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

Starting to get the rig ready for some camping coming up soon in September. Will be pretty specific, but nothing over the top since I'm limited in where I can go. But Mostly will be setup for a few nights at a time. Backpacking. camping, hiking, caving. Love to head to New Mexico for caving trips, mountain biking etc. The rig will be setup for 2 people typically but in the future will build a small trailer to help support camping with my wife and three daughters.

Next posts will start to share my ideas and build plans, but I'm always looking for more inspiration. We'll see how it goes.
Sounds exciting!

KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
So question, I’ve added a few things on the vehicle not much, but I have to have so many post in order to attach a picture, or video correct? I’ll grab some pictures, and maybe a video walk around.
Is it easier to link a YouTube video then to post a video on the forum?

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
So question, I’ve added a few things on the vehicle not much, but I have to have so many post in order to attach a picture, or video correct? I’ll grab some pictures, and maybe a video walk around.
Is it easier to link a YouTube video then to post a video on the forum?
I believe video has to be a link. Pictures can be direct uploads.

KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
So been hot and dry here but got a few things put on the rack and inside. Everything was ordered from amazon but installed by me.
First off I installed some surface mph ted light in the back hatch for direction light when the door is open.
Second are roof rack lights for when the yota is setup camping
Third are interior lights from led light strips that are cut and taped in place.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
So now its been a few weeks with all the upgrades done, and I can say that I really like how everything is setup. Next on my list is to start upgrading:
Brake lines
Struts
wheels and tires
Front and rear bumper
Color (thought of a wrap, but found how much that could be, and may change my mind)

For brake lines I'm looking at braided, and just gotta find the right fittings and length (sigh) proving to not be easy
I followed a guy over on toyota nation who used a 2" puck on the struts and gave his lander enough of a lift to put 30" tires on it (in addition to a spacer)

But first, since its starting to be avoid hitting the deer season, I'm gonna start on a front bumper. Going for a prerunner style. Brother in law used 10 gauge and linex'ed it, and it turned out really nice. Gonna base my layout on the original bumper but keep it as simple as I can, (hopefully to reduce weight and not make it a monstrosity). We'll see how it goes, gotta learn to weld alittle before I start on this.

Till next time...Keep on keeping on.

KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
Couple pictures on my custom full size bed/bed frame that folds up on itself (like a taco). A lot nicer then sleeping on the ground. Wife and I slept on it going to CO, 2 nights, and 1 night coming back. Was really nice.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

Couple pictures on my custom full size bed/bed frame that folds up on itself (like a taco). A lot nicer then sleeping on the ground. Wife and I slept on it going to CO, 2 nights, and 1 night coming back. Was really nice.
That looks really good!!
Not sure where that word came from!

Reactions: KILO19
S

softroad.406

So now its been a few weeks with all the upgrades done, and I can say that I really like how everything is setup. Next on my list is to start upgrading:
Brake lines
Struts
wheels and tires
Front and rear bumper
Color (thought of a wrap, but found how much that could be, and may change my mind)

For brake lines I'm looking at braided, and just gotta find the right fittings and length (sigh) proving to not be easy
I followed a guy over on toyota nation who used a 2" puck on the struts and gave his lander enough of a lift to put 30" tires on it (in addition to a spacer)

But first, since its starting to be avoid hitting the deer season, I'm gonna start on a front bumper. Going for a prerunner style. Brother in law used 10 gauge and linex'ed it, and it turned out really nice. Gonna base my layout on the original bumper but keep it as simple as I can, (hopefully to reduce weight and not make it a monstrosity). We'll see how it goes, gotta learn to weld alittle before I start on this.

Till next time...Keep on keeping on.
i'd try to stay away from a spacer lift. better to just put in longer springs and shocks.

KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
i'd try to stay away from a spacer lift. better to just put in longer springs and shocks.
(praise the gods someone said something) lol, I have looked/read alot and havent' heard/saw anything bad about the spacers. I've looked for "longer" struts, but haven't found any....Ideas? or directions to point me to? I've head the spacers will cause extra stress on the cv joints. How much truth to that. Thing is guys will post what they did, but haven't heard if it caused any problems. Not really worried about what people say, but physical issues they've had are worth more...

S

softroad.406

(praise the gods someone said something) lol, I have looked/read a lot and havent' heard/saw anything bad about the spacers. I've looked for "longer" struts, but haven't found any....Ideas? or directions to point me to? I've head the spacers will cause extra stress on the cv joints. How much truth to that. Thing is guys will post what they did, but haven't heard if it caused any problems. Not really worried about what people say, but physical issues they've had are worth more...
Since your yota is 2wd, the front doesnt have any cv joints. Is the rear a solid axle or does it have cv joints? I have never heard of people lifting highlanders but i would try to find a highlander specific forum. If the highlander has rear cv joints, any lift will change the angle of the joints and will be an issue. There is a maximum you can do with stock cv joints but you will need to upgrade them if you want to do a lift more than 2ins. I have a nissan pathfinder, and many guys have done spacer lifts but they have destroyed there front suspension due to the cv joints are at steep angles.

The coil/shock is more expensive but it is better to cry now than later.
PM me if you got any other questions.

KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
Since your yota is 2wd, the front doesnt have any cv joints. Is the rear a solid axle or does it have cv joints? I have never heard of people lifting highlanders but i would try to find a highlander specific forum. If the highlander has rear cv joints, any lift will change the angle of the joints and will be an issue. There is a maximum you can do with stock cv joints but you will need to upgrade them if you want to do a lift more than 2ins. I have a nissan pathfinder, and many guys have done spacer lifts but they have destroyed there front suspension due to the cv joints are at steep angles.

The coil/shock is more expensive but it is better to cry now than later.
PM me if you got any other questions.
Ok, no cv joints, I was just going off what I saw under toyotanations forum. (don't know if we can post outside links to other forums) that guy used 2" spacers.

I understand that doing all this to a 2wd vehicle doesn't sound worth it, but i don't have the luxury to buy a 4wd replacement. I can pay for small upgrades and roll with it...literally.

So if I buy a taller spring/shock is this a piece mill operation, or turn key?

S

softroad.406

Ok, no cv joints, I was just going off what I saw under toyotanations forum. (don't know if we can post outside links to other forums) that guy used 2" spacers.

I understand that doing all this to a 2wd vehicle doesn't sound worth it, but i don't have the luxury to buy a 4wd replacement. I can pay for small upgrades and roll with it...literally.

So if I buy a taller spring/shock is this a piece mill operation, or turn key?
i have a 2wd. i doubt there is a specific lift kit for the highlander so you may have go parts hunting. if you find the right parts it will be quite easy, if not there may be some modding