Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Mike, maybe I missed it, but why not just run the stock fan? It just seems like a lot of complication.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
That's what I'm going back to, and I'll have it on Tuesday.

After really thinking things over last night I "think" I may know what's going on. I have another person tell me that when you replace the fan clutch you should replace the water pump at the same time. Without giving it much thought I said that our water pump only 5k miles on it so I know that's not the issue. After learning more about the fan clutch setup I know understand what that person was trying say.

Ever since our original clutch went out on the 5/13 nothing we've done has made a difference. When these clutches go out it causes the assembly to get out of balance, and they start to spin with a wobble. So if our failed original clutch was wobbling it was cause the bearing, and impeller to wobble as well. That will kill a water pump over time, and will cause high temps. Since I already have a brand new water pump I'm going to install that at the same time as the fan. Then everything related to the cooling system will be brand new.

If nothing changes that we decided last night that we're going to buy a used Ford Transit. One of our close friends is selling one for around $4k, and we'll put the Rover in storage until we're done. We're not going to give up on the Rover, but we're setting a certain amount of time figure it out. If that times runs then we move on so we don't cancel our trip.

Reactions: TGF and YETI X

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

Sounds like a good plan on both counts. Reset the Rover but have a back-up plan in place. Sounds like my last moto trip where I didn't know if the little bike would be ready in time. I gave myself a Sunday deadline and if it wasn't ready, it was going to be the big bike and no 4Runner. Thankfully, the 530 went back together with zero issues and I took it on the 4Runner.

Good luck with the Disco. I think you've got this figured out.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Took me a whopping 10 minutes to discover me possible issue. I pulled off the fan and belt to find a loose water pump pulley. After doing more research on these combined parts it seems like more and more people say both have to be replaced together.

Here's an good explanation from LandRoverForums, "An important point, if clutch or WP is changed at this point, (180,000 miles) the other will likely fail soon after. Both have been bonded together and danced around the floor for millions of spins, and have grown used to each other's warts. The will be micro imbalances with just one new part, and the old one doesn't like it. If you can, change both. Or budget for second one."

Reactions: YETI X and TGF

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Had a little discussion last night with my wife, and one that she didn't want to talk about. If the water pump fan combination doesn't fix the temp issue we're having we now have a backup plan. We thought about everything that we want to do, and we narrowed that down to what can we plan for in an extremely short amount of time.

If all fails we'll be hiking the Appalachian Trail again. We did this in 2015 heading north to Maine, and we already know the trail. So this would make for easy planning on our part. We would make this our own route, and we would combine multiple trails that would get us to Florida.

We already have plan b figured out, and planned out. We're hoping it doesn't come down to plan b, but at least we won't have to cancel our trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGF

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Spent last night swapping the water pump, and fan. The water pump did help some, but not what I was hoping for. At idle in the driveway the temps were 224.7 or 221.6 all the time with the AC on max. When you give it some gas those temps dropped right away to 215.4 to 217.6.

Driving down the highway with an outside air temp of 83 the engine temp ran between 215.7-217.4 with the AC on max. When getting off the highway the temps dropped to 212 on the off ramp, and held at 215.6 at the stop light. The return trip down the highway had the same temps. Driving around town in the 30-40 mph range that temps ran between 212.2-217.6.

After the drive we did some more testing with a heat gun, and thermometer. We put a manual thermometer in the reservoir, and the highest reading it had was 208. It was reading 208 when the UltraGauge was reading 224.7. We shot temps of all hoses, and the upper manifold. The manifold had the highest temps, and that was around 202, and all hoses were under 200. It'll be driven today, and I'm going to get a reading on the radiator itself to see if there are any major swings.

I'm still not 100% convinced the issue(s) are solved. Yesterday was a cooler days being only 83, and I'm still concerned about day that'll be over 90 (next week).

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I told my wife today that she needs to have another plan by Sunday. I'm giving this thing all I have, and my confidence is not where it should. Something happened to the Rover around 300 miles ago, and I can't figure it out.

We have a Plan B, and a Plan C in place. Now we just have to decide which plan we're going to use.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

You'll have to excuse me if my question's already been covered... have you tried a leak-down test & a cooling system pressure check, both cold & during heat cycles? I know the engine's a fresh rebuild package, but perhaps a cracked or slipping cylinder liner could explain your issues if the hot combustion gases are being squeezed thru into the water jacket & heat soaking the cooling system. Hate to even mention that particular issue for fear of my own tired little 4 liter :mask:

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

You'll have to excuse me if my question's already been covered... have you tried a leak-down test & a cooling system pressure check, both cold & during heat cycles? I know the engine's a fresh rebuild package, but perhaps a cracked or slipping cylinder liner could explain your issues if the hot combustion gases are being squeezed thru into the water jacket & heat soaking the cooling system. Hate to even mention that particular issue for fear of my own tired little 4 liter :mask:
Both have been done. Each cylinder holds 30lbs of pressure, and the cooling system holds 15lbs of pressure.

This engine was rebuilt with flanged liners so we know there isn't a slipped liner. We had that issue on our last engine, and that engine had cooler running temps than the new engine. With everything that we've done we're completely stumped as to what is going on.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Huh... I'll have to review the thread again & see if I can think of anything. On rare occasions the media used to clean & the chips from machining a block/head can clog the smaller coolant passages, but that would require investigating with a scope which is a bit extreme I think.

Hope it stays consistent for you soon so you can rebuild that confidence in it & continue with your plans, looking forward to seeing more :)

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

After a long debate last night we've decided to put the Rover on hold. Time is running out, and we're not willing to jeopardize our travel plans. We'll be storing to Rover at the inlaws, and we'll revisit it at a later date.

Now it's time to redo the old trusty 4runner for this thread. Which means I have to update that thread now.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Spent last night swapping the water pump, and fan. The water pump did help some, but not what I was hoping for. At idle in the driveway the temps were 224.7 or 221.6 all the time with the AC on max. When you give it some gas those temps dropped right away to 215.4 to 217.6.

Driving down the highway with an outside air temp of 83 the engine temp ran between 215.7-217.4 with the AC on max. When getting off the highway the temps dropped to 212 on the off ramp, and held at 215.6 at the stop light. The return trip down the highway had the same temps. Driving around town in the 30-40 mph range that temps ran between 212.2-217.6.

After the drive we did some more testing with a heat gun, and thermometer. We put a manual thermometer in the reservoir, and the highest reading it had was 208. It was reading 208 when the UltraGauge was reading 224.7. We shot temps of all hoses, and the upper manifold. The manifold had the highest temps, and that was around 202, and all hoses were under 200. It'll be driven today, and I'm going to get a reading on the radiator itself to see if there are any major swings.

I'm still not 100% convinced the issue(s) are solved. Yesterday was a cooler days being only 83, and I'm still concerned about day that'll be over 90 (next week).
I haven't been following from the beginning so you may have done this already... it sounds like you might have a bad gauge since your readings were good with external temperature tests. No?

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I haven't been following from the beginning so you may have done this already... it sounds like you might have a bad gauge since your readings were good with external temperature tests. No?

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban
That could be the issue, but I'm not sold on it. I'll check it out anyways just to make certain though. If it is the sensor that'll take about a week to get that part in, and that's a week we can't waste right now.

It's pretty upsetting, but we're taking it in stride.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

So, where's a link to the 4Runner thread? :laughing:

Sorry to hear the Rover isn't going to happen for this trip, but I think you're making the right decision. We only get so much time for trips/vacations. That's gotta take priority.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

So, where's a link to the 4Runner thread? :laughing:

Sorry to hear the Rover isn't going to happen for this trip, but I think you're making the right decision. We only get so much time for trips/vacations. That's gotta take priority.
Here's the link.

There's a lot in the works right now, and a lot to come of this. This 4runner has taken us all over, and we know the vehicle very well.

jhewitt03

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
With the switches being a bust this past weekend I decided to move on. I was able to install front and rear differential skids, and the Southdown snorkel. My wife only asked for a couple things on the Rover, and having a snorkel was one of them. I didn't get pictures of the differential skids yet, but I will get some tonight.

Below are a couple pictures of the snorkel. I didn't take any pictures of the install since it was pretty much a guessing game. To say the Southdown snorkel had instructions would be an exaggeration. It came with a template for the cutout, but that's about it. I had to do some searching for Google images to get everything figured out. In the end I think it turned out pretty good. I still need to seal it up just a little around fender fitting.

For those of you familiar with the Southdown snorkel you'll notice something different about this one. I worked with Southdown before purchasing the snorkel to see what they could come up with for an elbow. I didn't want to run their typical snorkel end, and wanted to use a Donaldson Top Spin filter instead. They were able to bend, and stretch an end fitting for me that allowed me to mount the Top Spin filter vertically.

I've read your entire thread twice lol I love it I have a 97 disco I bought pretty cheap I'm gonna use this thread as motivation to finish my disco[emoji1591]

Reactions: Zargon

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Sorry for letting this thread hang for so long. After a 5 week cross country trip we settled in Eugene about a month ago, and things are going good. Now onto the Rover!

The Rover has been sitting at my inlaws since we left in July. My father inlaw, and brother inlaw have slowly starting poking around to see what's going on. After talking with them yesterday I think we may have figured out the issue. The Rover ran fine for a bit, and then all of a sudden started getting hot. The temps would slowly creep up, and up, and up with what seemed like no stopping it.

They had it running yesterday, and saw that my UltraGauge was reading 200 degrees, and the thermostat hadn't opened at that point. The upper hose entering the radiator was hot like it should be, and the lower hose leaving the radiator was cold like it shouldn't be. That would lead me to believe that my brand new radiator is clogged, and is causing the heating issues. With no circulation through the radiator the coolant is only going to get hotter, and hotter.

At least that's my thinking.

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Not good but on the bright side welcome to Oregon! I live in Sweet Home but work in Eugene! Glad to hear of another local member. Hope you get the rover repaired.