Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Just a thought, perhaps stupid, but are you sure your temperature gauge is giving you accurate readings? Back when I was in high school, I had a 1976 VW Rabbit (don't judge). At one point I thought it was starting to overheat all the time and chased all the same symptoms you did. Turned out it was the temperature sending unit that had gone bad.
That's the first thing we're checking tomorrow. We're going to take an inferred temp reader to take pre and post t-stat reading to determine of coolant is making it through the radiator. We're also going to check the sensors to make sure they're reading correctly. My thought was maybe a sensor went out after around 450 miles on the new engine since everything was running fine before that. We drove about 50 miles to the inlaws with no issues, and then out of no where we had issues.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Have you tried posting your issue over here: https://discoweb.org?
I haven't posted there yet, but have post on Land Rover Forums. I have a couple people saying to check the heater core for a clog. Two people have both said they had the same issues, and it ended up being a clogged heater core. After I can get a good temp reading I plan on checking the core. I'll most likely end up popping of the hoses, and giving it a good flush both ways.

I'm determined to get this fixed. I guess you can say it's an OCD thing.

Reactions: TGF

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I talked to the shop a few minutes ago, and have some news. It appears that I may have had a blonde moment when installing the new AC condenser motor. I was informed that the fan was pulling rather than pushing meaning that I wired it backwards. I'm hoping this will make enough of a difference to calm our nerves.

I also asked a few questions about what they had done. They verified the radiator, and heater core were both clog free. The said the system was properly burped, and holds pressure just fine. Lastly they said the temps wanted to go up at low RPM's, and once you got the RPM's up the temps drop drastically. Given the fan was wired backwards I'm really hoping fixing that issue will help me.

I'm also going to look into installing another auxiliary to help with additional cooling. The Rover is still being picked up by my brother today, and he's going to poke around to see if he can find anything else out about it. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: YETI X and TGF

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Just received my last call from the shop, and paid for the work. The bill was actually less than I thought it was going to be so at least I have that going for me. They did confirm the fan was wired backward, and they fixed that. After fixing that they ran the Rover for bit, and said that made a big difference.

My brother is still going to pick it up, and hang onto it for couple days. I'm pretty confident at this point that everything will be squared away by the end of the weekend. Now I need to figure out a second auxiliary fan for those just in case moments.

Reactions: TGF

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Love hate for sure, but this is borderline stupid. I'm having such a hard time grasping what could be going on since everything is brand new, and everything is apparently working like it should. I have no clogs, no coolant leaks, no air in the system, and no failing parts.

I pulled the trigger on a couple new 12" electric fans today, and an adjustable controller. One of the electric fans is going to replace the AC condenser fan I just installed, and the second is going to be an auxiliary. I'm going to wire one fan directly to the Rover so it comes on with the AC, and it'll also come on once temps reach 210. The second fan is going to be wired to a Painless adjustable temp controller, and that'll allow me to have it turn on when temps reach anywhere up to 240 degrees.

I also think I'm going to order an OEM fan blade to replace the generic Dorman blade I recently purchased. I've heard mixed reviews about adding a generic blade, and how some of them don't move the air that's needed.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I have a little information back on the Rover. I'm being told that the coolant flow is perfectly fine, and there's nothing clogged or blocked. The temps are consistent across the hoses, and radiator. By consistent I mean there's no signs of a clog, or bad t-stat.

My brother noticed a couple things that need to be addressed. First he said that the Rover is missing the air deflectors that should be behind the grille. I don't remember ever pulling those off, and they're not in my spare parts box either. Which means this is most likely something the previous owner removed.

He also noticed that my fan clutch, and fan are not seated in the shroud. The fan could move forward around another 1 inch in order for it to actually be in the shroud. Another issue with this setup is the fan itself. The OEM fan for an 04 is an 11 blade fan, and the dimensions are not the same either. The pre 03-04 fans were a 9 blade setup, and so is the aftermarket blade I installed. This is now the second person that has said something about the fan setup. They both said that exact same thing as well, and that was "Rover made a fan change for a reason". A change in the amount of blades can make a difference, and so can the weight of the fan itself.

So today I'm going hunt down some air deflectors, and an OEM fan assembly. Come next week I'm going to be installing new electric fans on the AC condenser side, new fan assembly on the engine side, and new air deflectors. I'm not expecting some drastic 10-15 degree change, but I'm hoping for something around 3-5 degrees.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Any chance someone with an 03-04 has an OEM flan sitting around? @FriscoDisco @TGF

If so would you mind getting some measurements for me? I'm trying to find the following information:
*Diameter of the fan blade
*Blade thickness
*Depth of the entire unit - this is a little hard to explain, balance the unit on the coupling nut (sit on ground) and measure the height to the highest point

Last edited:

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Any chance someone with an 03-04 has an OEM flan sitting around? @FriscoDisco @TGF

If so would you mind getting some measurements for me? I'm trying to find the following information:
*Diameter of the fan blade
*Blade thickness
*Depth of the entire unit - this is a little hard to explain, balance the unit on the coupling nut (sit on ground) and measure the height to the highest point
As a matter of fact I do, I can get you measurements as soon as I get home. Heck if you want it I can ship it to you. I'm happy with my Chevy astro fan setup. One thing to add... I've been playing with my air deflector/skid plate under my winch bumper, if I take it off, my temps jump 5 to 7 degrees, with it on I'm running right at 190 -195. Without, 197-204. Air deflectors def make a difference.

OB#3799

Reactions: MStudt

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I just ran through everything, and put together a timeline of events. Which isn't in our favor either.

*4/30 - Brought the Rover home with the new engine, and roof rack was removed prior to driving home
*5/9 - Compressor and winch were installed (no roof rack still)
*5/13 - Drove to in-laws and noticed high temps with winch installed (no roof rack still)
*5/14 - Drove home from in-laws with roof rack now installed, and noticed higher temps
*5/15 - Found the fan clutch was toast, and condenser fan was seized
*5/20 - Installed dual battery, new fans
*5/23 - Drove to work, and still had high temps
*No change since 5/23, and have had higher engine temps with higher air temps.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

With air temps around 90-92 it never got below 210 on the highway, and reached as high as 230.

I decided to email Turner who we got the engine from to see what they think. I gave them the part numbers of what we used, and they said that was the issue. They said the clutch doesn't have the capacity the Rover needs, and that the blades aren't designed to fit. The blades do NOT fit in the shroud at all, and in fact need to move forward at least an inch to be in the shroud. They said a setup like what we have is basically like not having a fan at all. So I bit the bullet on an OEM fan, and we'll have it on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm now hoping with the correct fan, and a bigger ac condenser fan we'll be in good shape. I even have an extra fan, and controller coming that I can add on if need be.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

With air temps around 90-92 it never got below 210 on the highway, and reached as high as 230.

I decided to email Turner who we got the engine from to see what they think. I gave them the part numbers of what we used, and they said that was the issue. They said the clutch doesn't have the capacity the Rover needs, and that the blades aren't designed to fit. The blades do NOT fit in the shroud at all, and in fact need to move forward at least an inch to be in the shroud. They said a setup like what we have is basically like not having a fan at all. So I bit the bullet on an OEM fan, and we'll have it on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm now hoping with the correct fan, and a bigger ac condenser fan we'll be in good shape. I even have an extra fan, and controller coming that I can add on if need be.
Wow, yeah I was running at 230 when I got mine but it had a cold weather thermostat in it. Putting an air "scoop" under your winch bumper should also bring your highway temps down quit a bit too. Keep us posted, I Know it's frustrating to do all this work and barely be able to drive it.

OB#3799

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Wow, yeah I was running at 230 when I got mine but it had a cold weather thermostat in it. Putting an air "scoop" under your winch bumper should also bring your highway temps down quit a bit too. Keep us posted, I Know it's frustrating to do all this work and barely be able to drive it.

OB#3799
I definitely plan on adding something like what you did.

I wonder how much of a difference there is between the Chevy Express clutch I got, and the Astro clutch that you got? I didn't have a good feeling about the generic blade that I purchased. I bet combining the pre 03 fan blade with another clutch might work, but I'm not sure I want to try that right now.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

I definitely plan on adding something like what you did.

I wonder how much of a difference there is between the Chevy Express clutch I got, and the Astro clutch that you got? I didn't have a good feeling about the generic blade that I purchased. I bet combining the pre 03 fan blade with another clutch might work, but I'm not sure I want to try that right now.
They are probably the same part number but I'm also using the astro fan itself, bigger and just barely fits in the shroud, nice tight seal. Moves a ton of air. Do you still needs the fan dimensions? I just got home.

OB#3799

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

They are probably the same part number but I'm also using the astro fan itself, bigger and just barely fits in the shroud, nice tight seal. Moves a ton of air. Do you still needs the fan dimensions? I just got home.

OB#3799
I think I'm good now. The fan that I have doesn't have a good seal around it so I ordered a new one. I also think my water pump might be going out, or out by now. We've been having issues since the fan clutch went, and everything says you should replace the water pump when the clutch goes. Reportedly the failed clutch will start to wobble, and wear the water pump bearing causing it to fail.