Launch Member

Influencer II

Lathrop, California
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Bircher
Member #

We (Jelorian) did the full Corral Hollow trail this past weekend and came out pretty much unscathed. However i did rub both of my running boards on the tight switchbacks on a rock and tree truck. Rock sliders are a must next mod. The trail was easy up to the cabin the remaining trail was moderate with the toughest part was navigating the large rocky sections and switchbacks.

I think it would be a lot more difficult if we came in on 7N35 vs 7N09 trail head. That would have been pretty difficult going up that side in the burb most likely 4LO up that side for sure. Rocks ruts washout exposed tree trunks, tight switchbacks. All in all an awesome trail!

Here are some pics..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app
I do wish I could have gone with ya. Imagine 3 burbs out there together!

@suburban_overland

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Looks fun wish I could have gone. Was there any ice drifts left or has it all melted?
I'd go again and its only 2+ hours away from Tracy so a day trip is doable. I would say one thing about this trail is it is difficult to navigate in a long wheel based platform in the tight switchbacks. I rubbed my sidsteps multiple times on the offcamber switchbacks areas. All snow has melted some snow drifts in one section off the path of course kids wanted to stop an play.

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

Love the stance with all the suspension mods you've installed. I think that amount of lift looks more pronounced in the Burbs than the Tahoes.

Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I do wish I could have gone with ya. Imagine 3 burbs out there together!

@Suburban_Overland
No doubt I'll make sure to ping you on the next one bud! That trail was a blast to do! The last trip I had prior we had 4 Suburbans all Pewter metallic so a dark grey one would add some flavor..lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
No doubt I'll make sure to ping you on the next one bud! That trail was a blast to do! The last trip I had prior we had 4 Suburbans all Pewter metallic so a dark grey one would add some flavor..lol

I see there's a pickup in that shot! What's he running for tires and suspension?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I see there's a pickup in that shot! What's he running for tires and suspension?

There all Suburbans. I can see the one in the shot your thinking of he linex it and painted an off grey color iirc. It has a Rough country 5" lift with front coilover convertion and 14 bolt swap, sliders, custom built bumper with integrated air tank. That thing floats over terrain my buddy in an FJ couldn't keep up with him on the trail!

Reactions: Suburban_Overland

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
There all Suburbans. I can see the one in the shot your thinking of he linex it and painted an off grey color iirc. It has a Rough country 5" lift with front coilover convertion and 14 bolt swap, sliders, custom built bumper with integrated air tank. That thing floats over terrain my buddy in an FJ couldn't keep up with him on the trail!

Wow! That's impressive. I'm curious because on a whim I started researching front coilover conversions for these pickups. I'm very intrigued by the concept of it.
So with the 5" lift is he running 35's?

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Wow! That's impressive. I'm curious because on a whim I started researching front coilover conversions for these pickups. I'm very intrigued by the concept of it.
So with the 5" lift is he running 35's?

Correct 5.5" with 35" tires. I haven't found conversion yet for our year 2000-2006. BDS has a coilover convertion I think for 2011-2013 IIRC. I would love to go that route eventually.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Correct 5.5" with 35" tires. I haven't found conversion yet for our year 2000-2006. BDS has a coilover convertion I think for 2011-2013 IIRC. I would love to go that route eventually.

Oh man I found some! There's a company called Atomic Fabrication and Performance. He engineers brackets and carries a brand of coilover for our generation of Chevy.

Here's the link for the brackets
https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/99-07-gm-torsion-bar-to-coilover-conversion-brackets/

And here's the link to the coilovers he carries. They are USA made.
https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/viking-shocks/

I haven't emailed them yet but it's exciting because I think a guy could use assemble what he needs for maybe $1000 or less. Unless I'm missing something. I need to shoot them an email and figure out what a build would cost me.

I've also looked at the BDS kits and they are way higher priced. Not sure if their kit is more complete or they are marking up simply for their name. But I feel this would be a great solution for getting out of torsion bars.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Oh man I found some! There's a company called Atomic Fabrication and Performance. He engineers brackets and carries a brand of coilover for our generation of Chevy.

Here's the link for the brackets
https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/99-07-gm-torsion-bar-to-coilover-conversion-brackets/

And here's the link to the coilovers he carries. They are USA made.
https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/viking-shocks/

I haven't emailed them yet but it's exciting because I think a guy could use assemble what he needs for maybe $1000 or less. Unless I'm missing something. I need to shoot them an email and figure out what a build would cost me.

I've also looked at the BDS kits and they are way higher priced. Not sure if their kit is more complete or they are marking up simply for their name. But I feel this would be a great solution for getting out of torsion bars.

I haven't found any company that offers coilover conversion on GMT800 2500 series trucks and SUVs. This kit is for a 1500 series.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Oh crap... By bad. I'm really disappointed. The way the website read I thought I would work for sure.

No worries man let's keep looking!!! On the BDS website lots of people hounding them for a GMT800 2500 series varient. Let's keep adding comments as well!

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
No worries man let's keep looking!!! On the BDS website lots of people hounding them for a GMT800 2500 series varient. Let's keep adding comments as well!

BDS would be epic. But I emailed the guy and it sounds like he has a way to make it work. I'll attach a screenshot of the email. It sounds like the upper mounts work and something needs done with the lower. What do you think @boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

BDS would be epic. But I emailed the guy and it sounds like he has a way to make it work. I'll attach a screenshot of the email. It sounds like the upper mounts work and something needs done with the lower. What do you think @boss324

I want to drive like a trophy truck! Well who else has run them on the 2500s? Not sure what "need to do something for the LCA" means??? Is there a forum he can direct us to for testimonials on his gear?

Reactions: darthyota

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I want to drive like a trophy truck! Well who else has run them on the 2500s? Not sure what "need to do something for the LCA" means??? Is there a forum he can direct us to for testimonials on his gear?

I've been searching and digging and I found a 1500 Suburban running his kit over on Expedition portal.
Also found this post from a couple years ago when he was developing things earlier on.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/99-07-4wd-front-coilover-conversion-518118/
There's an interesting video on that forum post about his brackets.
I emailed him back and asked for more information on the LCA bracket situation. I'm not a metal fabricator so I know if it required that I wouldn't be able to do it... But there's a lot of people who could.

I still have a lot to learn about all of this but I still think this would be amazing.... Especially if it can be done for less than a grand for parts and it's all bolt on.

EDIT: OK this is the email I just got back from him

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

The Suburban on Expo portal your mentioning is the same guy in the pic. Pretty cool dude very sharp, learned how to weld and fabbed sliders and bumper up himself.

Reactions: maxfederle89

Burb One

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey Max- Thanks for the kind words over on Expo! Good looking plan you've got. Glad you talked to Atomic, nice guy and he'll hook you up! It was my understanding the mounts cannot but used with 2500, and even modification it would be hard because the angle of the spring would end up hitting the UCA's, but maybe things have changed since I last looked or maybe difference between 2500 and 2500hd, so atomic probably has something in mind... Looking forward to seeing it.

Boss- thanks for the compliments, only two corrections, Truck is on 33's, and I'm not that sharp:)

I think Jelorian took all the good pictures, this is the only one I have of the trucks lined up from the trip, but 2500 to 1500 lifted heights can be seen.
20170624_181037.jpg

Mine is the 2nd from rear with a 5-6 inch RC lift (about 5.5 over stock) w/ coilovers and 33's The one behind me is 1500 5-6 inch lift on 31's, in front of me is 1500 w/ 2 inch with 33's and Boss is 2500, 2 inch with 33's?

Any questions, PM me or post over on Expo, I get an email reminder there...

Last edited:

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Hey Max- Thanks for the kind words over on Expo! Good looking plan you've got. Glad you talked to Atomic, nice guy and he'll hook you up! It was my understanding the mounts cannot but used with 2500, and even modification it would be hard because the angle of the spring would end up hitting the UCA's, but maybe things have changed since I last looked or maybe difference between 2500 and 2500hd, so atomic probably has something in mind... Looking forward to seeing it.

Boss- thanks for the compliments, only two corrections, Truck is on 33's, and I'm not that sharp:)

I think Jelorian took all the good pictures, this is the only one I have of the trucks lined up from the trip, but 2500 to 1500 lifted heights can be seen.
View attachment 31561

Mine is the 2nd from rear with a 5-6 inch RC lift (about 5.5 over stock) w/ coilovers and 33's The one behind me is 1500 5-6 inch lift on 31's, in front of me is 1500 w/ 2 inch with 33's and Boss is 2500, 2 inch with 33's?

Any questions, PM me or post over on Expo, I get an email reminder there...
Hello! You're very welcome! Good to see you post here. I'll post up some correspondence I've gotten from Atomic and I'm hoping the only issues I have is the money haha. I also hope this information will benefit others with rigs like you fellas have and give Atomic more business!

Here's the most recent emails:
I'm sorry, I think I mixed the emails up a bit but all the information from Atomic is there. As I understand so far: my lower control arms have the right mounting point, I will only need the stud adapter pictured below for the top, and I'll have to measure and have him put together the correct length coilovers! As long as I don't want the front end of my truck too much higher (I'm only leveled with the stock keys as I sit now) the UCA's should clear. Worst case scenario I would have to run Cognitos or I suppose the Zones. So my uneducated guess is as long as you are running Cognitos already, this will work! And I suppose reinforcing the LCA's would be wise but that's something I am not capable of but you probably are.

@boss324 I'm really sorry to be taking up so much of your build thread with this shenanigans, but I'm really hoping this benefits you too!

Reactions: boss324