Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Hey Max- Thanks for the kind words over on Expo! Good looking plan you've got. Glad you talked to Atomic, nice guy and he'll hook you up! It was my understanding the mounts cannot but used with 2500, and even modification it would be hard because the angle of the spring would end up hitting the UCA's, but maybe things have changed since I last looked or maybe difference between 2500 and 2500hd, so atomic probably has something in mind... Looking forward to seeing it.

Boss- thanks for the compliments, only two corrections, Truck is on 33's, and I'm not that sharp:)

I think Jelorian took all the good pictures, this is the only one I have of the trucks lined up from the trip, but 2500 to 1500 lifted heights can be seen.
View attachment 31561

Mine is the 2nd from rear with a 5-6 inch RC lift (about 5.5 over stock) w/ coilovers and 33's The one behind me is 1500 5-6 inch lift on 31's, in front of me is 1500 w/ 2 inch with 33's and Boss is 2500, 2 inch with 33's?

Any questions, PM me or post over on Expo, I get an email reminder there...
Yo Burb one! Don't be modest you've got mad skills...lol gotta go on another run bud!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: maxfederle89

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Hello! You're very welcome! Good to see you post here. I'll post up some correspondence I've gotten from Atomic and I'm hoping the only issues I have is the money haha. I also hope this information will benefit others with rigs like you fellas have and give Atomic more business!

Here's the most recent emails:
I'm sorry, I think I mixed the emails up a bit but all the information from Atomic is there. As I understand so far: my lower control arms have the right mounting point, I will only need the stud adapter pictured below for the top, and I'll have to measure and have him put together the correct length coilovers! As long as I don't want the front end of my truck too much higher (I'm only leveled with the stock keys as I sit now) the UCA's should clear. Worst case scenario I would have to run Cognitos or I suppose the Zones. So my uneducated guess is as long as you are running Cognitos already, this will work! And I suppose reinforcing the LCA's would be wise but that's something I am not capable of but you probably are.

@boss324 I'm really sorry to be taking up so much of your build thread with this shenanigans, but I'm really hoping this benefits you too!
Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
No worries man good info I'd love to do some coilovers cause I can't keep up with my buddies FJ on the trails!

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

I wasn't able to install as I needed the Cognito endlinks that allow clearance for the Rare Parts tie rods last weekend. So Cognito endlinks SBELKHD-1000 we're ordered and came in yesterday. These will fit stock height to 3" leveled Trucks and suvs.

Notice how the sway bar has much more clearance. Just got her aligned nice tight and straight! Really happy with these upgrades.

Very nice Suburban!! I'm digging the suspension upgrades!! I've been trying to figure out an upgraded sway bar end link solution for my truck, and I think I just found it thanks to you! I've been using the "HD" Moog's, and keep chewing them up about once a month. Most likely due to some of the heavy off-roading that I've put my truck through, along side my torsion bars being cranked up a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: boss324

DonD

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
So I have a bone stock 2004 suburban LT. model with 5.3, what is the first 2-3 upgrades you would recommend to start transforming it to being overland ready?

elromero3

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hayward, Ca
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Romero
Member #

Yes, I have an 03 Z71 and that was the first thing I did. I also got 2” wheel spacers too.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Nah been out of it lately. Looking at a trip to Sierra's then a big trip Mojave road in April.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Trip computer showed the following:
1812 miles
152 gallons of fuel
Avg. 11.3 mpg

Many many pros to owning a 2500 Suburban. Gas milage isn't one of them the 6.0 liter likes to drink gas + lifted and bigger tires really made my milage worse. Iirc it was 12-13 stock on avg now more like 11-12. Still what else swallows up cargo and seats 8, swallows up miles with ease and able to climb a rough rough road 5200 ft in comfort...lol well at least I keep telling myself that at the pump!

BTW Paradise off loop 1 had the best sceanary!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
But we don't buy our Suburbans on their gas sipping ability. ....lol.
Mine is a 2001 k2500 8.1 4l80e G80 with the factory air ride shocks for now.

Last edited:

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nice rig! I am actually looking at getting a suburban. Think I found a good one but got to wait till saturday to take a look. But it is bone stock and I have a small budget. So I was looking at doing a 3inch lift with 33s.
I saw lots of expensive lift kits but then I found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/92-99-Chevy-Suburban-Tahoe-GMC-Yukon-1500-3-F-2-R-Lift-Kit-Leveling-w-Ext-/131728400904
Think it would be OK to do something like this?
OBS can handle that much crank on the TBs but not NBS. What year is it?

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

The one that I am looking at is a 97
Keys/blocks are pretty much all the same. Interesting that it says "front or rear shock extenders" and not both. If I went that route I would get longer shocks for the front at least depending on how much you crank it up, I wouldn't go any more than level. Bilsteins 5100s are nice.

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Keys/blocks are pretty much all the same. Interesting that it says "front or rear shock extenders" and not both. If I went that route I would get longer shocks for the front at least depending on how much you crank it up, I wouldn't go any more than level. Bilsteins 5100s are nice.
Ill keep that in mind, thank you. Still got to buy the thing first lol.

DrRobert

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bristow, VA
Member #

Very nice looking - I like the lift and tire size on this. Looks like it gives another few inches to ground clearance.

DrRobert

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bristow, VA
Member #

But we don't buy our Suburbans on their gas sipping ability. ....lol.
Mine is a 2001 k2500 8.1 4l80e G80 with the factory air ride shocks for now.
Have any of you tried the E85 in your suburban in an overland mode? I've been using it here in VA and while I think it gives a little less on gas mileage, the extra octane means I get a big boost in power.

Reactions: Bradb55