Launch Member

Contributor III

Blue Springs, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
G
Been busy...
Got the snorkel 98% installed, replaced the rack and pinion, TRE, sway bar links, power steering lines and a wheel speed sensor, front struts/coils, installed a 3" lift and an awning. Started measuring and designing for the sleep platform/kitchen pull out. Next up are some new wheels and either 33's or 35's.
20201122_131335.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Between the snorkel and the awning you are totally ready for some overlanding.
For the tires, I would stick with 33's. You'd have to do some researching of other sequoia builds, but usually bigger tires make it necessary to re-gear. You might be ok with engine upgrades for more power, but your speedometer gets more and more off. Mine is off by about 5%

Broke

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor III

Blue Springs, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
G
I have found 33's to be adequate for the areas I go, 35s are more comfortable and capable offroad, but as you suggested the loss of get up and go can be annoying. I am already getting a solid 14.5 mpg, not trying to lower that much more... lol!

Right now I have 31" Yokohama street tread and it lacks ability on ledges and such. I am also comparing it to my Rubicon JK, so overall it probably does okay for such a big and heavy pig with IFS and no lockers.

Broke

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor III

Blue Springs, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
G
Updates... got a new awning in November, very nice addition. Installed the lift, replaced the rack and pinion (nasty messy PITA job)
20201122_131335.jpg

Got some traction pads too, and a chinesium air compressor, now I am an overlander...

20201125_173852.jpg

For Christmas my wife bought a set of heat shields, window covers for all the windows in the Sequoia. Makes the interior darker, cooler (or warmer) and gives some privacy. I also ordered a mattress that should perfectly occupy the 60 portion of the 60/40 middle row. I am torn on whether I build a 12" tall platform to sleep on that goes over the middle row when folded down. Or try the mattress on the floor. The extra head room would be nice. No matter what I am building a pull out galley on the narrow side. Working for a company that sells drawer slides, hinges, plywood etc I am over loaded with options. More on that to come.

I will try doing a writeup or video on the window covers, very pricey, but well engineered.
Still shopping for new tires, but I bought a set of 17" FJ cruiser wheels so if I can find some JL or JK Rubicon takeoffs I can run them. Not in a hurry, the right deal will come along.
Looking to go out again in January some time, will most likely be buying a Mr. Buddy heater.
That is about where it stands now, reliability is way up, daily driver duty is well in hand. Still only getting 14mpg though, so that needs some work.

Broke

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor III

Blue Springs, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
G
Mattress is good to go.
20210109_212937.jpg

I wish I had a few more inches of length with the middle row folded up, but as I am over 6' tall I will deal with this as it is. I don't think it will be worth doing a raised platform as I have 6" over my head when sitting and it is plenty of space to get dressed etc. I do plan to do a flat floor, to cover the seat latch points for the 3rd row and make the slide out galley more stable. More to come.

Last edited:

Broke

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor III

Blue Springs, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
G
I am working on a review/writeup on the heat shield window covers. Right now I am working on some challenges with the covers and waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.