1997 F150 "Dad's Truck"

• HTML tutorial

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

This is a restoration/build thread for my dad's 1997 Ford F150 XLT Supercab. My dad passed away in June and my mom doesn't have room at the house to keep it so I've taken it into my possession for the time being.

We've had this truck since 1999. When we got it, it had right around 19,000 miles. My dad had a full size truck previously, but got rolled it when someone hit him. He then had a 1992 Ford Ranger regular cab 2wd manual with the 4 cyl until he got this truck. He took great care of this truck as it was his pride and joy. He always had a smile when he drove it. We took many camping trips in this truck, running three wide in the back with Mom and Dad up front. My personal favorite trip was in this truck when we went from Minnesota out to Yellowstone National Park, Glacier National Park and into Canada, ending the trip at Banff National Park in British Columbia. I learned how to drive in this truck.

My goal is to get it fixed up and running properly. No one in my family is getting it yet, but I have told my mom that I want it when the time comes. If this ends up in my possession and possibly beforehand I will give it a full frame off restoration. That's how much sentimental value it has for me.

Currently it needs to exhaust manifolds fixed as they have the all too common exhaust tick, a thermostat, and most recently the AC compressor blew up on me when I was driving it to work. It has a lot of rust that needs to be taken care of as well.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I wish you luck in the restore of this truck, it's monetary value means nothing when it comes to sentimental value. I am hoping to build this kind of love for camping and vehicles with my 2 sons. One is 1yr old and the other 3, so they are still a bit young, but I gotta get them started early!

Good luck my friend and make sure to keep us updated.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm sorry to read that you lost your father earlier this year. My sincere condolences.

It makes me feel a little old that you are restoring a truck that I bought brand new before the Subarus I have. I ordered a '97 SuperCab XLT longbed like yours as soon as orders were being taken on the new design. At the time, that truck was the nicest, most luxurious vehicle I'd ever owned. Enjoy the build!

Last edited:

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm sorry to read that you lost your father earlier this year. My sincere condolences.

It makes me feel a little old that you are restoring a truck that I bought brand new before the Subarus I have. I ordered a '97 SuperCab XLT longbed like yours as soon as orders were being taken on the new design. At the time, that truck was the nicest, most luxurious vehicle I'd ever owned. Enjoy the build!
Thanks.

We got this truck in 99, and my mom had told my dad several times that we could have gotten him a new truck but he refused. He said there were too many memories in this one. I feel the same way.

Ordered the thermostat, should be here tomorrow. Need to look into parts for the AC yet. Also have brakes and the rear wheel speed sensor sitting waiting to be put in.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

A very worthy project! :0) I love 10th gen F150's.

What brand Rotors did you use?

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

It is a blank canvas, and it already sits tall enough for respectable capability.

It would make a mighty fine overlanding rig for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Can't wait for my tax return. Itching to get some stuff for the truck to get it right road worthy again.

On another note any recommendations on a rust inhibitor via spray can? I know of POR15, but that's quite a bit messier.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Can't wait for my tax return. Itching to get some stuff for the truck to get it right road worthy again.

On another note any recommendations on a rust inhibitor via spray can? I know of POR15, but that's quite a bit messier.
Its worth the mess lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: toxicity_27

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I"ve been using POR15 for 15 or 20 years now. It's the best but remember you'll still need to paint over it or it'll fade and wear down.

Wear a painters suit and lay down painters plastic. Once it gets on your clothes, skin or concrete you'll be pretty much screwed.

Reactions: IronPercheron

Jacob_S

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

This sounds stupid but I've been using it for years and the guy I got the idea from used it for 30 years on his classic ford's. Linseed oil. Paint on, spray on, wipe on with rag, anything. 2 times a year, I do it before winter and after winter. My frame on my 2000 tj still looks great.