1997 F150 "Dad's Truck"

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

This sounds stupid but I've been using it for years and the guy I got the idea from used it for 30 years on his classic ford's. Linseed oil. Paint on, spray on, wipe on with rag, anything. 2 times a year, I do it before winter and after winter. My frame on my 2000 tj still looks great.
Note taken!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I"ve been using POR15 for 15 or 20 years now. It's the best but remember you'll still need to paint over it or it'll fade and wear down.

Wear a painters suit and lay down painters plastic. Once it gets on your clothes, skin or concrete you'll be pretty much screwed.
Yea, I've gotten it on my skin and clothes. Stuff is impossible to get off once it's on.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Ordered new shackles today, so it will at least be drivable. Still have the thermostat to put in as well. Then it'll be tearing into the A/C system, and redoing the front suspension.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Got the shackles on Wednesday. Now need to get the time and hopefully better weather to get them and the thermostat in.

Reactions: benmmc

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Well the apartment complex I live in ripped the license plate bracket off when they were plowing. We haven't gotten anywhere near enough snow to have the bracket covered in snow, so I'm trying to figure out how they did that one. They have for sure hit it twice, putting a gouge in it once and breaking it completely off the second time. They suggested that their maintenance man is pretty handy with automotive stuff and could fix it. Sorry, but your guy isn't touching this truck.

I'm so irritated with them.

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Well the apartment complex I live in ripped the license plate bracket off when they were plowing. We haven't gotten anywhere near enough snow to have the bracket covered in snow, so I'm trying to figure out how they did that one. They have for sure hit it twice, putting a gouge in it once and breaking it completely off the second time. They suggested that their maintenance man is pretty handy with automotive stuff and could fix it. Sorry, but your guy isn't touching this truck.

I'm so irritated with them.
Sorry to hear that. I try not to blame people right off the bat, but if it's the second time, that's just nuts. Time to start making noise I guess – and to start getting some grease!

Reactions: murps

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I went in and tried to be nice to the lady because that's what my dad would have done. However when she didn't get it, I felt the need to inform her how pissed I was.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Finally got the shackles on, still need to find time to do the thermostat. Then I need to sit down and put a list together of everything that needs to be fixed or replaced. Plan on doing everything mechanical first and then work on he body.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Been a while since I last updated this. Was driving the truck to go see my mom and the brakes went out. Broke the rear brake line. Limped it to the dealer and it actually broke in two spots. Since they were going to be replacing the AC system anyway they replaced all of the hard lines for the brakes as well. Then they noticed the leak at the rear of the head on the passenger side. Time to take the head off and replace the gasket. Since they were in there we had them replace the exhaust manifold as well. Anyone who has experience with the Triton 4.6L, they're notorious for leaking exhaust manifolds.

Now that the mechanical should be sorted, it's time to work on the body. Also still need to work on the front suspension.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Very cool! I like what you are doing here. Can't wait to see how the work goes.

Other than fixing what has deteriorated, what are your future plans with it?

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Very cool! I like what you are doing here. Can't wait to see how the work goes.

Other than fixing what has deteriorated, what are your future plans with it?
I think I want to keep it as close to original as possible, but add a couple of things that my dad would have done as well, and a couple of upgrades.

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Driver side leaf spring is basically shot now. Lays pretty much flat. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the 250 LD springs or replace with the same from the factory. I know I won't be doing a lot of towing or hauling which makes me lean towards the factory, but it would also help with overland related equipment and give it a nice lift. Hmmm decisions decisions.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Driver side leaf spring is basically shot now. Lays pretty much flat. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the 250 LD springs or replace with the same from the factory. I know I won't be doing a lot of towing or hauling which makes me lean towards the factory, but it would also help with overland related equipment and give it a nice lift. Hmmm decisions decisions.
Could also upgrade to Devor springs. A little high and smoother ride. I hope to upgrade to those eventually.