Contributor I

Hudson, NY, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Foote
Member #

SOLD
I'm listing my 1990 Hilux for sale. I've owned this truck for exactly a year and it's been a reliable daily driver and light off road vehicle. Upgrades have been aimed at increasing power, gas milage and reliability. $7500

This is a right hand drive car that I bought from Japanese Classics LLC in Richmond, Virginia. It has been fantastically reliable, but I am selling it because I bought an '89 Toyota truck and I don't want 2 vehicles.

This truck is currently in a barn being stored from the winter so it is not driving around on the salty roads. It can be made ready to drive in a few minutes.

The interior is remarkable clean with very little wear (the only notable exception is the edge of the driver's seat, which is in the pictures). Everything inside has been left original except for the addition of a boost/EGT gauge I added this past spring.
The exterior is similarly clean. The paint shows almost no wear. There is a light scratch in the hood, but it did not get through the clear coat ("it'll buff out").

The truck has the Japan-only 2.4L 2L-TE turbo diesel motor backed by an automatic transmission and 4x4 with low gears. The motor has been well taken care of, but still smokes a little. It is, after all, a 26 year old diesel. The 4x4 works very well and switches in and out smoothly.

Here is a list of new parts that I added. Work was done by Jim Bersani Racing in Syracuse, NY.
-New OEM turbo
-Boost controller (set to 14psi max, factory setting was 8psi)
-Boost/EGT gauge
-Greddy front mount intercooler
-2.5" straight exhaust from the turbo back
- I've been very careful to only use Evan's waterless coolant (prevents steam pockets from building up inside the coolant passageways)
-All 4 brakes were rebuilt when I bought the truck
-The Cooper tires still have a lot of tread left. At least another year.

This truck has a clear NY title and registration in my name.

The truck has had no issues for me and starts even in negative degree weather. It has been driven in snow only a few times out of necessity, but has always been hosed down after so there is ZERO rust on the frame or the body. There are ~130k miles on the truck (the odometer is in KM). I drove it from Ithaca, NY to LA this summer with a stop in Moab and it was fantastic, getting an average of 26mpg. The AC/heat worked well the whole time.

Here are the only issues I have found:
-The center console switch for the rear window works for putting it down, but not back up. You have to use the key to roll it back up.
-The driver's side turn signal is cracked from a rock that flew up on the highway
- Driver's side CV boot is torn. There's still grease on the axle but it'll need replacing soon

Although this is the Japanese domestic market model, all transmission and drivetrain parts are identical to the 4Runners of the same generation. The only tricky bit is finding parts for the motor, but these were sold in Canada so I've found good sources up there for everything I've needed. Japanese Classics can also be contacted to source parts if necessary.

More pictures and videos are available. Please message me and I can email or text as many as you'd like.

Attachments

Last edited: